LegacyGT.com

Turbo going out... Port and rebuild or replace?

Just wondering what you guys would do here. Mines a daily driver so I don't need a crazy big turbo. I also was not planning on this expense so I dont really want to spend much. I was thinking vf52, 16g, or 18g if I replace. Porting and rebuilding mine would be cheaper though unless I can score a deal on something new (don't want to go used).

Ill also be installing uppipe and downpipe and of course supporting mods depending on what I decide. Really wish I would've grabbed the new bnr 16g that was fs here a couple days ago but oh well. What do y'all think?

what's your budget? How bad is the current Turbo... don't let it explode on you or you'll need more than a new snail.

A little play, enough that I parked it for now while I decide what to do. I have a loaner car so I'm good.

Budget... I want to keep it under $1500. And I still need to decide if I want to do it on my own with a couple mechanic buddies or pay the man (~$500 that I'd have to include in the budget)

• I Donated Too
so just get a new BNR 16g - you won't need too many extra mods but you will need a tune. That will give you a reliable Turbo and reliable fun DD but that will be your budget. Other than the tune, you can do all this yourself if you're handy.

• I Donated
What can I get away with of stock fueling/injectors if I go vf52? What kind of fueling would I need to go e85 with a vf52? Sry for not searching right now, I'm on my iphone.

AFAIK, any turbo bigger than a VF40/VF46 needs injectors to get anything near the full power potential of E-85.

• I Donated
And I could do stock fuel pump?

No. The stock fuel pump doesn't even flow enough to max out stock injectors.

I shouldn't need any other supporting mods right?

If you go with the 16G or 18G, don't forget the oil line.

Just go with a new vf52, I'm on stock fueling with a smaller boost pill and make good #'s. I also have the banjo filters removed and stock oil lines.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

orrrrr.... http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/subarumy082008.aspx

I'm running their TD06SL2/18g and love it. Pure highway power though, hardly much in the city without immediately going over speed limits. Their TD05H/16g would be nice for you and budget friendly. Just expect about 2 weeks shipping time if I remember correctly.

These turbos, IMO, are one of the most underrated on this site. Kinugawa is a little brother of KAMAK who is a very high-end turbo maker in the Nissan (and one other brand??) crowd specifically.

I've read lots of good things about kinugawa, ill consider them too. For the price of a vf52 I could get a kinugawa plus pnp. I think ill have to meet up locally and ride in a couple turbo swapped cars and see what size turbo I prefer

How is $1500 not enough? I could have a quality 16g for under a grand and call it a day. Only $150 for a tune after that.

My mechanic said he'd be interested in seeing what this thing can do

http://6starspeed.com/05legt08wrxs.html

That link doesn't look right so if it doesn't come up its the ss 18g vf52 alternative. How does that look?

I believe my vf52 was $1030 shipped from Mike at AZPinstalls.com 2 years ago, I had it the next day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• I Donated
$1500 just isn't enough unless you buy used

I have no idea what you're talking about. Back in the day (over 2 years ago), I purchased my entire stock -> Stage 3 setup (BNR Evo 16G, FMIC, DP, UP, tuning) for ~$1800. The turbo itself was only $850, including FP oil line (the recommended one back then) and shipping.

Lets get real, how is a larger turbo going to affect my long term reliability? I want to have this car as long as possible with as few problems as possible and I know the saying goes "stay stock, stay"... what is it, slow?

16g just feels like a safe smart choice at this point. Especially with the cash I'll be saving.

I wish I had seen the BNR turbo for sale here also. I just bought a 16G from BNR and its going in as we speak. Lotsa $$$ but I didn't want a used turbo either.

PureTurbo in Oceanside CA does nice balanced rebuilds with long warranty for $325 google them. They get lotsa plus ratings. You could probably get a rebuild on yours in short time.

Forgot to mention that you would have to be careful with boost on the 16G.

It will push 16psi.

According to BNR you need to put in the heavier oil feed lines to the turbo and some nicer flowing intake plumbing....uppipe,downpipe, and exhaust to realize all of the power this turbo can supply. My 16G goes in today!

I wish I had seen the BNR turbo for sale here also. I just bought a 16G from BNR and its going in as we speak. Lotsa $$$ but I didn't want a used turbo either.

PureTurbo in Oceanside CA does nice balanced rebuilds with long warranty for $325 google them. They get lotsa plus ratings. You could probably get a rebuild on yours in short time.

That sounds like a good option too, but I would want it pnped too by my local shop and that would be $225=$550. I don't mind spending the extra dough for a nicer turbo like the 16g. It seems like the best option without spending $$$ on fueling mods (not to mention risking my clutch).

Let me know what you think of the 16g. What other exhaust pieces do you have/are you putting on? I have catless dp and up that will go on at the same time. And I plan to bulletproof the tmic as well.

Why waste your on porting and polishing the turbo ?

On one sees it and the performance gain will not be seen on the street.

If you want more power out it give it one more psi of boost, that's free.

It's not a race car.

Having said that, my heads are ported, I can feel it in 2nd and 3rd gear mid range. The wagon is fun on the back roads.

Archived