LegacyGT.com

Another broken windshield

Well our 3 mth old Legacy was cursed with the dreaded broken windshield today.

My wife was on her way to work and with no other vehicles around, she heard a popping noise and saw a six inch crack from the lower left corner to the middle of the wiper area. I immediately called the selling dealer and asked them for an installer recommendation. I also asked them if they had any problems with cracked windshields. Of course he said they have no record of recurrent problems with any glass panels. I called the installer and scheduled a new windshield, he told me they sometimes can tell if it an impact or stress crack. Will update when I have new info.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the club..... Mine broke from 2 additional places since the 1st crack. All on passenger side. I am not going to replace it until it starts obstructing my vision.

I have owned bunch of cars last 20 years and this is the only one that had a crack......and in 3 different spots. They were however all caused by small derbies. Not stress cracks for sure.

Well I took the advice of my fellow subies and stopped at my local dealer. Together after much inspection we found a chip about the size of a pen point, which we believe was the cause of the break. Whatever hit the glass was very very small. He wouldn't admit to a glass problem, but after I asked he pointed to a rack of broken windshields at the rear of the garage and walked away. I have a 1987 300zx that has dozens of chips bigger that the one on the Legacy, and it still has the original windshield, with no cracks. I believe these windshields are very very fragile. I would recommend all owners to make sure they have glass coverage with their auto insurance. Chances are you will need it.

Safelite replaced mine two weeks ago. Took about 5 days to get it in, ordered OEM from local dealer. We'll see how long this one lasts. I do carry full glass w/State Farm having added shortly after I went through one on my 2011 prior to the 2015.

Talked to Safelite yesterday they reserved the only one in the tristate area for me and it will be installed on Tuesday. They said the eyesight system might have to be recertified after new installation. Has anyone had to have this done?

My windshield was hit by a small rock on the highway and has a hole/star right in my field of vision. Replacement glass is on back-order (Eyesight) and my insurance company (Allstate) sent me an email saying that I need to have the Eyesight cameras re-calibrated after the glass replacement.

They originally wanted to do a repair instead of a replacement but since the car is 2 weeks old and the star is right in front of my eyes, I insisted on a replacement. Hopefully the glass comes in soon.

I got a broken windshield too. just heard a pop on the lower left hand and a couple min later a cracked windshield. is this a known legacy issue for these '15s?

• 1 month later...

Just got mine replaced with OEM glass as the cracks made it to drivers side.

For the Pacific NW area, OEM windshield is back ordered for 5 months according to my repair shop. They told me that they have never seen a back order like this........but of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with our windshields.

We'll see how long this will last. I am still considering clearplex.

Is the windshield fix/replacement covered under warranty?

Nope. But may be in the future Subaru might do a recall due to the unusual number of broken windshields...... but i doubt it.

Talked to Safelite yesterday they reserved the only one in the tristate area for me and it will be installed on Tuesday. They said the eyesight system might have to be recertified after new installation. Has anyone had to have this done?

Safelite said the same to me as well. As long as you get the OEM glass (I think that there's only OEM available anyways), you don't have to recalibrate).

Is the windshield fix/replacement covered under warranty?

No, not unless there is a single crack from the side of the windshield and no spidering which would be indicative of frame twist or windshield install issue. Subaru did offer to replace mine at no cost to me for a 'good faith' customer warranty. Pretty much to keep me as a future customer.

I had to shop around for a dealer that already had in stock and shipped it to my house as they are backordered from the factory and on a 2-3week delay.

I just got mine today and awaiting install(prob next week). SOA will refund me 100% of the cost once I fax them receipts.

I have zero deductible glass with my insurance, but they offered to cover the expense, so better that way in case it happens again in near future. Winshield and new rubber trim was $340 to my door. Install is $75 for removal and $75 for install plus they take the old glass away. Overall expense = $500(no eyesight). Cheaper than having Safelite order and install OEM glass($800) and cheaper than the dealer doing it as well!($609):rolleyes: crooks.

If I went through the dealer, they would have factory ordered. I just basically saved a month by paying myself up front and having it shipped. Fine with me.

New glass is only 4.5mm thick. saves on weight and the glass weighs less than 20lbs!:eek:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/Subi/th_20150701_192621_zpsxn6pesey.jpg

Mine got hit by a rock in the corner, so no give and crack! The glass guy said the OEM windshields are no more than aftermarket. Got mine in 2 days...The did a awesome job! You would never know the windshield was replaced!

• 3 weeks later...
It just happened to me. Not the Legacy but the Forester at least there is $.00 deductible. Safelight has Eyesight approved windshield with heaters and antenna and will install the unit at my home. The only inconvenience is a trip to the dealer to have Eyesight calibrated.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Contacted Subaru "Must be only Subaru OEM only." They stated the Eyesight Manual page 8 & 9.

* To have the front windshield replaced or repaired, contact a Subaru dealer. Do not install a front windshield other than a genuine Subaru windshield. The stereo cameras may not be able to detect objects accurately and the Eyesight system may not operate properly.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Archived