LegacyGT.com

Risky buy? 2007 SpecB

funky monk

I've been talking with a seller about a 2007 SpecB and had some concerns about a couple mods on the car. He has a Cobb downpipe and some knockoff turboback with no tune. Engine was rebuilt last summer by a dealership after an oil feed line was blocked and the turbo blew. rebuilt motor has about 15k on it.

How much damage has been done with those two engine mods and no tune? Is it too risky of a purchase?

with 15k miles on it and assuming no check engine light I'm sure it has some type of tune on it. Have you driven it, does it run ok? Accessport is a good idea or someone with a laptop that can check the tune for you before you sign any papers

He told me there was no tune. It's a private seller, not from a dealership though there is one at a dealership I'll look at for fun. They want way too much for it.

I haven't driven it yet, will see it Saturday. I called several local shops with this question and the general consensus was that a tune isn't necessary but recommended for a DP. Still uncertain if this will cause serious damage. Will a compression test give an accurate idea of how the ringlands are holding up?

Called Cobb SoCal and they recommended an AP with an off the shelf map.

my 05lgt threw a check engine light when I drove my car lightly for 2 days before my tuning appointment. Maybe the ecu can learn enough to drive with a dp w/o a tune, but its not optimal. A compression test is always a good idea with a used turbo car. You can download the learning view program for free and at least check that, and or while on your test drive try to find a local tuner if possible to pull a LV for you. If the price is good enough I'd still look at it. Also assuming its a stock turbo/injectors

to do that I assume I'd need a cable for the OBDII port, which I don't have. not sure if I could find one last minute. The dealership wants $210 for a compression test which seems like a lot for a car a might not even buy...

Still really unsure on this. If I can get him down a couple grand it might be more worthwhile. It would require an AP and off the shelf map to run properly which will cost me $600 right away. Stock downpipe is currently on because it had to pass smog.

yes, everything else in the engine is stock including turbo and injectors. Might ask to have a compression test run this week if everything goes well tomorrow. Still getting mixed answers from shops I talk to. I don't think he's driven it hard but can never be 100% sure.

If I found a shop to check the cylinders with an inspection scope, that should be able to show any scoring in the block right?

To use an LV program, I assume I'd need a USB to OBDII adapter. Don't know where I could get one on short notice.

Reviewing the repair receipts again. Aside from the engine rebuild, he had clutch, water pump, thermostat, timing belt and plugs replaced as well.

Well I decided to pass on this car.

Looked at another one at a dealership in the area same day. only 30K miles on an 08 and it was in great shape. Salesman didn't know much about the last gen Subarus and tried telling me the tech told him the Apex'i turbo timer was stock. :rolleyes: Whoever picks that up will have a great car.

It was out of my budget so I had to move on but not before the sales manager tried to intimidate me a bit.

Now looking at an 09 that's nearby. My biggest concern is that the carfax doesn't have many service records available. Car has SRI and exhaust (catback I think). Still waiting for the dealership to contact PO for records.

Now looking at an 09 that's nearby. My biggest concern is that the carfax doesn't have many service records available. Car has SRI and exhaust (catback I think). Still waiting for the dealership to contact PO for records.

Guaranteed that guy doesn't have a tune either. Those are mods you'd do if you haven't done any research on the car... I'll bet he wanted to "chip it" too.

• 3 weeks later...
What ever GT you end up buying the 1st thing you need to do is remove the filter in the oil feed line to the turbo. It is a common killer of Subaru turbo and it is not needed. Subaru issued a service/tech bulletin you can Google #02-106-08R. Subaru recommends replacing the filter but you don't need it so just take it out. Its in a banjo bolt and you can buy the same banjo bolt without the filter for about $5. There are Legacys listed on this site. Good luck in your search.

Archived