LegacyGT.com

Suspension upgrade advice?

Casezilla

I have 85k+ on my '05 LGT sedan right now. Entire suspension is currently stock. I'm having some issues right now with minor vibration, bumpiness when there are no bumps in the road, the car wandering a bit, and in generally the handling and steering is feeling less precise and soft.

At least part of this is due to torn rear LCA bushings in front. I will definitely be replacing these with a Whiteline ALK, and I'll be doing the ball joints too (Whiteline RCA if I lower the car, OEM otherwise). Besides replacing these worn items that are likely the source of most of my issues, I also want to make some suspension upgrades. I'm thinking swaybars and shocks/springs. I'm leaning toward Whiteline 22mm front and 20mm rear for the swaybars, but I'm not sure about shocks or springs. From what I've read, it seems Bilstein HDs with STi pink springs, or Koni inserts with epic or swift springs are good matches and popular combos for LGTs, but I don't know enough about suspension to make a decision on my own.

A Koni setup is significantly cheaper than the Bilsteins, but I'm hesitant to go with the Konis for a few reasons: a) I'm not sure I'm up to the task of hacking up my stock struts, b) I'd rather not deal with adjustments, c) I've read some folks have had issues with squeaking with some Koni / spring combos (epics?).

I use the car for sprited daily driving and some Tahoe trips. No tracking, racing, rallying, etc. I get some fun curves on my commute and drive some pot hole ridden mountain roads every now and then. I don't care about lowering from a looks point of view, but I'm okay with a slight drop if that would be the best setup. I'd just like to stay high enough to continue to use my ramps for oil changes.

Any recommendations or advice?

^+1

I'm having some issues right now with minor vibration, bumpiness when there are no bumps in the road, the car wandering a bit, and in generally the handling and steering is feeling less precise and soft.

This sounds like worn struts to me.

I would go with Koni's over the Bils. Having rebound adjustability is really nice for dialing in your spring choice and preferred ride characteristics.

I would go with springs/struts first, then sways, or both.

Front LCA rear bushing, steering rack bushing and WL RC kit are all good things too.

I have the whiteline 22/20 setup with Roll Center/Bump Steer kit and Eibach springs and Kartboy endlinks. Excellent feeling setup. I have Koni's but I have yet to put them on.

I live on the other side of the hill from you in Los Gatos, I am always up for a coke and a chat about suspension (keep cokes at the house just for that eventuality), I am currently tearing down a wrecked 08STI, if you want to come by and talk suspension, pm me, I am around, I am also about to write my complete parts list, and our goals are about the same, the perfect "GT" car, I highly suggest a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, do they cost a lot, yes, are they the best tires ever, absolutely, will they cover up all of the shortcomings of the stock suspension, definitely. I am angling more towards all the groupN bushings, as these are still rubber, and will be better for reducing harshness, without disconnecting the car from the road.

matt T

I might take you up on that. I work in Cupertino so I'm in your area regularly. Unfortunately I'm stuck with all seasons so I can handle Tahoe in the Winter. I'm on Potenza RE970AS' right now.

adpsmp, how much did the Eibach's lower you?

Archived