LegacyGT.com

I don't know what I'm doing...

So...I bought a 2009 Spec.B (burgundy) back in October. It's the first turbo car I've ever owned, so I have basically no idea what I'm doing. I know that the end goal for me is to get to the Cobb Stage 1 tune. I did my best to reach out to the right people for anything that needed to be done first and was told to get a performance catback and a catless up pipe, to get the most bang for my buck when doing the Cobb tune...well, after a purchasing the Borla CBE and a catless up pipe, as well as a couple of hours of knuckle busting, I found that the stock up pipe is catless already. So you could say that my contact might have been an idiot that wasted some of my time and money...

I finished the install on the exhaust parts and still have the Cobb tune in my sights. Do I need to go catback on the down pipe? Is that legal in a state that does emission testing? Can someone tell me the actual hp increase from going stage 1? I've heard that it can give me a 45hp bump, but I was curious of someone who really dyno'd their LGT can attest to that...

Anywho, I appreciate any and all advice on this. I don't plan on going nuts with injectors and a bigger turbo, this is my daily driver.

You learned a hard lesson my friend... Sorry to hear of your experience.

As for next steps, everyone has their own opinion and you know what they say about those... Here's mine.

Stage 1 will net you some minimal gains. More than anything it will clean up the factory tune so you don't burn a valve or crack a ring land. The factory tunes on these cars are terrible.

Stage 2 is where you start to see some noticeable results. You can get there with a downpipe and a tune. Some will argue that you should install a "bulletproof" kit on your top mount intercooler or install an aftermarket intercooler. At >17lbs of boost, the factory one will start to separate at the end caps.

You are very fortunate in where you live. Other than being the home of Coors beer, you are also near a VERY excellent tuner. Cryotune Performance is a forum member on here and does wonders with Subarus. If I were you, I would recommend you talk to Dave there and he can help you make your dreams become a reality. He can walk you through the different steps and setups to help you create a car that is fast while still maintaining driveability.

You should read the stickies in the turbocharged and tuning technical forums. You will pick up a lot of info there.

2005-2006 were the only model years that had the catted uppipe.

Terminology notes-

Stage 1 is usually just an ECU tuning change and catless uppipe, if needed.

Stage 2 is Stage 1 + higher flow downpipe catted or catless + tuning

The "sweet spot" for a daily driver is probably a conservative Stage 2 tune, which could be around 270+ whp.

A catted downpipe would probably be legal for you. Good idea to check, though.

The catback exhaust usually doesn't have much performance impact. It is mostly for the sound (or noise if you are older :))

CapnJack has some solid advice there.

If I were you I would sell your one of your up pipes and put that towards a catted downpipe. Grimmspeed, Cobb, or Invidia are the good catted downpipe options (note the Grimmspeed and Invidia will require an adapter 3-2.5 inch adapter to bolt to your Borla exhaust. Adapter made by Grimmspeed). Hold onto the downpipe and bulletproof or upgrade your TMIC in the meantime.

This is where Cryo comes in. Talk to Dave and get set up with tune from him. A pro tune or custom tune as this would be called will get you a safer tune while producing more power than the standard off the shelf tune from Cobb.

Good luck on your adventures, and awesome spec on the Spec.B. Post up some pictures when you get a chance!

Thank you! This helps quite a bit. I'll look Dave up and start my process there.

Thankfully, I only spent $20 on the up pipe...I'm more pissed about the effort it took to get it out and back in.

I have one pic on my profile, I'll add some pics soon. I love the burgundy a lot, it was the same color as the '02 LGT limited I was driving prior. Apparently it's 1 of 176 in this color/model The Borla sounds fantastic, not too loud, but just that base rumble I wanted.

1 last thing:

What is TMIC? I'm sure it'll be a face palm, once it's clear. I only stepped into working on my cars, when my ex-wife quit her job a few years back and I HAD to figure it out to save cash. I've come a long way, but I'm no mechanic. I just know how to save on shop fees. haha

Top mount intercooler (stock configuration). FMIC is front mount intercooler.

Equal length manifold will change the tone of the engine, it will not have the same "boxer rumble". Small performance gain, more commonly done if the turbo is also upgraded.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2007-2009-spec-b-production-numbers-259183.html

Do you really know what you have there ?

Read on here and ask us before you do anything.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

+1 on the bulletproof, just split mine with stage 2. Hopefully Barman will make more soon... Barman? You listening? People will pay more, we need these things!

When you go stage 2, KEEP your OEM downpipe. You will need to put it back on every 2 years to pass emissions. Your emissions with a 3" downpipe will be technically low enough to pass, but high enough to trigger a visual inspection, which you will fail.

Couldn't help noticing nobody has mentioned the banjo filter yet. Did the '09 not have one?

+1 on the bulletproof, just split mine with stage 2. Hopefully Barman will make more soon... Barman? You listening? People will pay more, we need these things!

When you go stage 2, KEEP your OEM downpipe. You will need to put it back on every 2 years to pass emissions. Your emissions with a 3" downpipe will be technically low enough to pass, but high enough to trigger a visual inspection, which you will fail.

Couldn't help noticing nobody has mentioned the banjo filter yet. Did the '09 not have one?

I wouldnt waste the time or money on a bulletproof kit honestly... no offense but my intercooler on my stage 2 lgt went up in a spot the "bulletproof" kit wouldnt have covered. So therefore its best to just replace the whole tmic in my opinion. Go grimmspeed :)

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

09 Spec.B, rare car. Congratulations.

There are a number of things you can do to make your car more reliable and more fun the drive. A down pipe in conjunction with a good tune as others have mentioned will provide solid power gains at minimal risk. Cryo is a reputable tuner who frequently provides help on these forums. Mike at Tuning Alliance (http://www.tuningalliance.com) is also a solid resource for e-tuning through an Accessport. Talk to a tuner about your goals.

Removing banjo bolt filters to ensure oil flow to the turbo and engine is highly recommended before you do anything. These clog oil flow to your turbo and engine, causing premature failure and $$$$ in repairs. 09s still have them, it's unclear if they are as problematic as the filters on the 05-06.

Zip tying vacuum lines, Turkeylords barbed T, and BarmanBean's bulletproof TMIC kit are really inexpensive, easy to install, and highly recommended on all Legacy GTs stock through stage 2. Vacuum leaks are common on these cars, and can cause all sorts of issues.

Check your oil, these cars do use it. Figure out what your consumption is, and keep it topped off.

Welcome to the forums. People here are super helpful.

Brought to you by Pfizer

I wouldnt waste the time or money on a bulletproof kit honestly... no offense but my intercooler on my stage 2 lgt went up in a spot the "bulletproof" kit wouldnt have covered. So therefore its best to just replace the whole tmic in my opinion. Go grimmspeed :)

Thanks for the heads up. Don't suppose you have a pic?

I thought I knew what I had...haha. I was told the '09 in burgundy was 1 of 176. Is that right? I followed the link:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...rs-259183.html

But I'm not sure what the acronyms mean:

31 were DGM

28 were QSM

24 were OBP

16 were SWP

13 were RRM

Does this suggest that there were only 13 in RRM (burgundy?)

While taking parts off of the car for the up pipe, it was made clear that at some point, someone had replaced some of the parts. I can only assume someone modded it, then put stock parts back on.

I fully plan on coming back here and chatting with "Dave" about any mods I do. I really appreciate the help, fellas.

Top mount intercooler (stock configuration). FMIC is front mount intercooler.

Equal length manifold will change the tone of the engine, it will not have the same "boxer rumble". Small performance gain, more commonly done if the turbo is also upgraded.

Yea, I didn't mean that I want to go equal length. I was made aware of the UEL creating the rumble I love so much. I was more curious if replacing the stock part for a performance UEL manifold was necessary.

Thanks, though!

I thought I knew what I had...haha. I was told the '09 in burgundy was 1 of 176. Is that right? I followed the link:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...rs-259183.html

But I'm not sure what the acronyms mean:

31 were DGM

28 were QSM

24 were OBP

16 were SWP

13 were RRM

Does this suggest that there were only 13 in RRM (burgundy?)

While taking parts off of the car for the up pipe, it was made clear that at some point, someone had replaced some of the parts. I can only assume someone modded it, then put stock parts back on.

I fully plan on coming back here and chatting with "Dave" about any mods I do. I really appreciate the help, fellas.

It's very common for people to return these to stock before they sell the car. They sell the aftermarket parts separately which seem to hold their value pretty well just like the cars do (unless they've blow up and need a new engine).

Yea, I didn't mean that I want to go equal length. I was made aware of the UEL creating the rumble I love so much. I was more curious if replacing the stock part for a performance UEL manifold was necessary.

Thanks, though!

Nah, you don't need to upgrade the headers and there are other lots of other places to spend your money first.

Thanks for the heads up. Don't suppose you have a pic?

No pics but honestly the top mount has plastic endtanks and they are garbage. Any aftermarket tmic is better then putting a "band aid" on the stock one.

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

No pics but honestly the top mount has plastic endtanks and they are garbage. Any aftermarket tmic is better then putting a "band aid" on the stock one.

The plastic endtanks are not the actual problem, though, it is the aluminum crimp between the endtanks and the center section that gives way. The reason it gives way is because the stock intercooler was designed for stock boost pressure without a lot of safety factor. So, if the crimp can be strengthened, the plastic endtanks will hold pressure above stock levels (to a point, of course).

What is TMIC? I'm sure it'll be a face palm, once it's clear. I only stepped into working on my cars, when my ex-wife quit her job a few years back and I HAD to figure it out to save cash. I've come a long way, but I'm no mechanic. I just know how to save on shop fees. haha

Did you use a walkthrough from the forum for the up-pipe. I think that swap alone deserves a slow clap, even if ill advised.

Check your oil, these cars do use it. Figure out what your consumption is, and keep it topped

2nd victim in 2 weeks...his spirit lives on.

Did you use a walkthrough from the forum for the up-pipe. I think that swap alone deserves a slow clap, even if ill advised.

2nd victim in 2 weeks...his spirit lives on.

I can't take full credit for the up pipe. I had a friend who knows his shit and lent a hand on that one. Most of the time there's a youtube video out there for almost anything.

Archived