LegacyGT.com

Could someone please take a look at these logs?

ssbtech

Hello,

finally got around to digging out the laptop with a working battery and buying a USB/Serial cable for it and did a couple of logs.

It's not easy doing a full redline pull in third around here (not even sure if it's legal) so the logs look a little wonky. Doesn't help when you're merging with cement trucks either.

Anyway, on with the logs if you can make sense of them. I think I logged the right stuff, I used the "what to log" FAQ on the RomRaider site.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjWpEyKowFYVdEhkZG53X09GQVZWR1poQVBrWFc3OUE#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjWpEyKowFYVdDRWX3o5eW05bkFjNjFrendUQlRtQlE#gid=0 <--- That's the one where I was able to hold 100% throttle in 3rd.

I've also attached the Learning View.

Thanks!

PS - goal here is to try and identify what is wrong and why my car stinks of sulphur when I get on the gas up a hill.

157723509_LearningView_SS_01-06-2012122007PM.jpg.c08ab482a003bb65108f793c993645d8.jpg

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His fuel trims are fine. i doubt he has a leak. I can't look at your logs right now, I'm at work, but your LV shows learned knock all over the place that I would look into. You haven't posted up your car's specs.

BTW, attach your stuff to the post next time, not Google docs. Most people prefer the CSV files.

Hmm interesting log. Again, need full list of what you've done to the car.

Your log is interesting because you get the FBKC when you release the throttle. BTW, neither of your logs is an actual full WOT pull starting from 2K going to redline.

Remove CL/OL fueling status, A/F correction, A/F learning, and the Intake OCV left and right columns. Replace MRP (corrected) with MRP (sea level)

It's tough here to get a full WOT pull from 2k to redline... That would take me to a speed which would have the car impounded for a week :rolleyes:

Thanks iNVAR, I will make those changes and re-log. What makes the FBKC interesting on throttle release?

Mods: Stock everything, COBB Stage 1 (v 1.6 I think). 91 OCT tune and fuel. Hogzaust exhaust mod (What can I say, I'm cheap) and removed the intake resonator (stock intake and filter otherwise)

Could the knock sensors be detecting my suspension rattle? That only happens when I go over a bumpy road, not the on-ramps I did the logs on.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'd like to get to the bottom of why the LV is wonky and the car makes bad smells on heavy accel/load.

-7 of feedback, what's your oil consumption like? mods? loose suspension or rattling in engine bay?

Oil consumption is maybe .5 to .7 qt per 6,000km.

Getting some clutch chatter when it's cold. Clunking strut on bumps and rough roads.

Yes, could be... The fbkc activating during throttle lift is interesting because if you're able to get it to consistently do that, it should help narrow things down.

I don't think you have a leak but it's possible you're throwing things off (MAF) with the resonator removed. I've read that it can affect things....

You shouldn't be stinking up the place though when everything's running right, hrmmm..

OK, here's a couple of CSV files. Still not all the way to redline but I'm about 5mph from having the car impounded as it is so it will have to do. But there is a more consistent 100% throttle run here.

For shits and giggles I ran a log while idling before setting off with the roughness monitor running. Look at Cyl2. It was a Cyl 2 misfire CEL that I got a while back but nothing since.

Idle roughness.csv

romraiderlog_20120607_140248.csv

Okay, that's not good. Take it easy on the car until you can figure out what's going on. You're getting some "hard" FBKC, assuming it's not false knock caused by something loose. Check for loose things.

Thanks for taking a look.

What exactly is the feedback knock correction and what's likely to cause it, other than loose things. And what to you mean by "hard"? I'm assuming "significant" correction?

You mention that it's interesting that it happens on throttle lift. Why is it a concern in that particular instance?

Other than the suspension clunk on rough roads, I don't notice anything else (that I can hear anyway). And that noise surely wouldn't cause the knock correction when the noise isn't present, would it?

http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic1840.html

I thought it might be that you're getting knock on throttle lift, but that's not the case as shown by your newest log.

Look for anything loose at all. Bolts, cables, connectors, etc. ANYTHING at all. You might not hear it from the cabin while driving but it could be hiding in your engine bay somewhere tripping your knock sensor.

Also post LVs up with your logs.

I'll poke around and look for anything loose. It's been serviced pretty diligently so that shouldn't be the case.

IF it's not something loose rattling around, what could I be looking at as a possible cause, and is this something that a competent Subaru mechanic can figure out or is this something a tuner needs to evaluate? Could this eplain the bad smells?

Also post LVs up with your logs.

There's one in the first post, should I be doing one each time I log?

Sorry to be pestering you for info, there's a reason why I don't even do my own oil changes :lol:

Bad smell usually = bad cat or bad O2 sensor. I think that could throw your tune off and cause know too so that's definitely a possibility. Is that bad smell something new that developed?

Posting an LV up with every log doesn't hurt because it'll show us if your fuel trims have changed.

Waaaay back in the beginning when I got the car (new in 04) I could smell a faint whiff of it under long periods of heavy load. Plenty of threads and posts back then of "smelly cat", etc... so I thought it was normal.

I hadn't really noticed it getting worse, but then again I wasn't doing much highway driving until about a year ago when I really started noticing it. Always seems to be present with a heavy load or during high boost. It was pretty stinky right at the end of that 100% throttle pull, even with the aircon on recirc (window open).

Could unburned fuel be getting into the cat and burning off there causing the smell? I thought the smell was a byproduct of the catalytic process, made worse not by a failing cat but by fuel burning directly in there.

:iam:

EDIT: I do remember the dealer running a diagnostic on the O2 sensor and it was fine. Supposedly.

No worries, I don't expect you to have all the answers :p

That roughness on the Cyl2 on idle - I wonder if it could be the sensor itself or something very near it. If it was "noise in the engine bay" wouldn't the other sensors show something too?

Waaaay back in the beginning when I got the car (new in 04) I could smell a faint whiff of it under long periods of heavy load. Plenty of threads and posts back then of "smelly cat", etc... so I thought it was normal.

I hadn't really noticed it getting worse, but then again I wasn't doing much highway driving until about a year ago when I really started noticing it. Always seems to be present with a heavy load or during high boost. It was pretty stinky right at the end of that 100% throttle pull, even with the aircon on recirc (window open).

Could unburned fuel be getting into the cat and burning off there causing the smell? I thought the smell was a byproduct of the catalytic process, made worse not by a failing cat but by fuel burning directly in there.

:iam:

EDIT: I do remember the dealer running a diagnostic on the O2 sensor and it was fine. Supposedly.

Not to go too far off topic but my car had had similar smells for the 12 months I've owned it. Really annoying when driving up long steep hills. :spin:

No worries, I don't expect you to have all the answers :p

That roughness on the Cyl2 on idle - I wonder if it could be the sensor itself or something very near it. If it was "noise in the engine bay" wouldn't the other sensors show something too?

the engine detects misfires by the crank position sensor, not knock sensor.

So how does the roughness monitor work (i'm assuming that's a misfire?)

Does a single misfire trigger a CEL or does it take a series of them? That roughness in Cyl 2 - you're saying that's detected by the crank position sensor? I'm even more confused now.

yes roughness is misfire. it takes a series of misfired in a row to trigger a cel, and even then the cel can disappear on its own once the misses have subsided. apparently, from what i gather, subaru uses crank position to detect a mis. That's all i know, i found that info from nasioc write-ups.

Archived