LegacyGT.com

Merged: Official "Toyota to buy GM shares of FHI" Thread

D-2.5-GT

http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=mergersNews&storyID=2005-10-05T064647Z_01_TKV002217_RTRIDST_0_AUTOS-TOYOTA-FUJIHEAVY.XML

Only a portion it looks like, but if you ask me its a good sign for Subie. Much rather have support from a well run corp like Toyota than GM. At least Toyota may have something to contribute back...

Edit....Does a mod want to adjust the word By for me....its one of those mornings... By = Buy :lol:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did Subaru ever offer GMAC financing? If so, they will lose this, which may not give people such a good deal.

no. They do their own through Chase which is still a good deal (I got 2.9% for 60 months ;) )

I'm looking forward to the Subayota Imprelica Bb5x... ;)

Though seriously, it certainly wouldn't hurt Subaru to get some of that Toyota paint quality and interiors, plus it would be lovely if SOA would support aftermarket-type options at the dealers like Toyota does. Toyota also has absolutely top-notch marketing. And Toyota needs the one thing Subaru does have, a bit of passion in the driving experience. Despite all their market presence, Toyota has yet to make a car with quite the younger-crowd appeal of the Impreza and Legacy Turbo models (below 50, that is).

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com | http://www.sevenphotos.com | http://www.scoobymag.com

Well, I like Toyota having stake in FHI more than GM having it.

Maybe FHI saw how GM's stupidity and total lack of creativity was only likely to doom them too.. I honestly didn't really even see why Fuji needed to share anything with GM in the first place.. I know why GM needed it.. thats self explanitory.

The partnership between GM and FHI always reminded me of the relationship between Bill gates and Steve Jobs.. one did all the work, the other one stole all the work.

To bad GM took FHI's tech and still couldn't turn a profit with it.. probably why they got dumped.

Pity GM for thinking that simply buying up and taking tech from companies that do stuff right was going to make up for their obvious engineering short commings, lack of passion, and sheer lacking of managerial prowess.

GM lost touch with making cars about 10 years ago, and probably won't ever recover.

"Fuji Heavy also said it and Toyota would study business tie-up opportunities in research and development as well as production."

OMG. Our Legacys and the Camrys are gonna look alot more alike now!:lol:

too late, newer Camry rear end looks like ours or vice versa not sure which was first. I mistaken it many times cause the is almost the same color as mine.

The effect on the legacy could go one of three ways.

1: Toyota could say that the Legacy is too much like a Camry, redundant, and move toward diminishing the Legacy in favor of the Outback even further.

2: they could just not care about the miniscule sales of the Legacy compared to the Camry, and do nothing whatsoever.

3: They could recognize that the Legacy is much sportier and faster than the Camry, and caters much more to the "Enthusiast". Recognizing that the Camry sells hundreds of thousands of units to non-enthusiasts, they could steer the Legacy into a more performance focused car, with sportier and more premium equipment for the Legacy GT, and with Toyota's lack of a performance division, (TuRD doesn't count. Someone should be fired for that Acronym, and it be scrapped immediately.) they could steer Subarus into those roles. Semi-Premium AWD performance cars, on and off road.

The WRX/STI is immediately going to be the sportiest car Toyota is even close to, starting the day the ink dries. It will be interesting if Toyota will do much to encourage more rally involvement, since Toyota itself was once a rally participant with the long defunct Celica All-trac.

The Lexus' are going nowhere but upmarket for luxury, Scion doesn't have anything in this segment at all. Toyota proper has nothing sporty in the least, and all FWD.

Subaru could carve it's niche as a smaller semi-independent Toyota-alternative to Acura or Infiniti, focusing on competing with the 20-40k segment, and let Lexus deal with Acura and Infiniti, and higher end Euro nameplates.

I won't say that Subaru could be Toyota's "Mercury" or "Pontiac" because Ford and GM don't manage those brands all that well, and Subaru isn't going to be wholly-owned by Toyota, like Mercury, Pontiac, Acura, and Infiniti all are by their respective parent companies.

Obviously I think Option 3 is the best, and option 1, the worst.

Just as long as the Subaru corporate ugly-face and the Toyota truck corporate ugly-face don't create the ugliest vehicle evAR!

Just read that GM is unloading their 20% stake in Subaru and Toyota is picking up 8.7% of it. The rest will be offloaded over the next several months. This news also means an end to Saabarus's.

I haven't read the tea leaves yet about how this affects Subaru going forward.

An interesting thought. Some people get the Camry and Legy mixed up from the rear. Do these cars morph together? Legamry, Camacy

The effect on the legacy could go one of three ways.

1: Toyota could say that the Legacy is too much like a Camry, redundant, and move toward diminishing the Legacy in favor of the Outback even further.

2: they could just not care about the miniscule sales of the Legacy compared to the Camry, and do nothing whatsoever.

3: They could recognize that the Legacy is much sportier and faster than the Camry, and caters much more to the "Enthusiast". Recognizing that the Camry sells hundreds of thousands of units to non-enthusiasts, they could steer the Legacy into a more performance focused car, with sportier and more premium equipment for the Legacy GT, and with Toyota's lack of a performance division, steer Subarus into those roles.

The WRX/STI is immediately going to be the sportiest car Toyota is even close to, starting the day the ink dries. It will be interesting if Toyota will do much to encourage more rally involvement, since Toyota itself was once a rally participant with the long defunct Celica All-trac.

The Lexus' are going nowhere but upmarket for luxury, Scion doesn't have anything in this segment at all. Toyota proper has nothing sporty in the least, and all FWD.

Obviously I think Option 3 is the best, and option 1, the worst.

I actually think they'll go w/ 2. Toyota only has a ~10% stake after the sale of the leftover stocks. They will actually be looking to codevelop the next generation of hybrids. Subaru will use Toyota's hybrid technology,and Toyota will use Subaru's new Lithium batteries IN the hybrid technology. I'm sure the companies will stay far apart w/ everything else. This will definately boost the value of Subaru, w/ stockholders knowing that Subaru is Toyota-backed now, at least a little bit. Def. better than being backed by a sinking ship, that's for sure. This will pan out to be pretty interesting I must say...

It's been rumored that SOA/FHI people read this forum.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to THANK Management at FHI/SOA for dissolving FHI's "partnership" with General Motors Corp in hopes that this 'thank you' will reach those same people at FHI/SOA

I'm a US citizen, and my Legacy is the first Non US Big 3 car I have ever owned. At first I was happy that GM decided to 'get their act together' by buying tech from what I consider to be one of the preimer manufacturers of autos. Unfortunately, as is typical of GM, they squandered the opportunity and have little to show as a result of the partnership with FHI.

I feel that GM's involvment with FHI only exposed the glaring problems that GM has been facing now for decades..and has done nothing to resolve. In the same light, the view of FHI / Subaru became more evident, that they indeed know what it takes to make cars right and satisfy their customers.

I'm glad that FHI wasn't bullied or cohersed by GM.

Thanks FHI/SOA for making the right choice!

From what I have read, the GM and Fuji will continue to collaborate on the Saab 9-2x, but all other projects will end.

I think this is a good move for Fuji Heavy-the technology and race savvy that Toyota can bring to them may start to affect the direction Subaru goes in. I just hope that production doesn't suffer as Toyota starts to take over resources to sell it's insanely hot (meaning coveted) cars right now.

Is this the beginnings of a Toybaru?

Archived