LegacyGT.com

Low End Torque

basbal241b

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low end torque is ehhh but once above 2800rpms the car really moves, but you do need to be in the right gear to get decent acceleration.

Song of Post- Bob Marley- Kinky Reggae

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

We have several 2.5 NA Subaru in the family and my GT, I think torque anywhere in the range of 1500-up (below that any Subaru tends to lug under load) is far better than the NA models.

I think the low-end torque is great, but that's just me.

I was thouroughly un-impressed by the lowend torque when test driving the GT...

The "GT" and the "i" feel about the same (if anything the i feels like it has more down low) until about 2800 rpm+. THEN the GT starts trouncing on the i.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if the i has much more torque till boost starts bolstering it for the GT.

Guest JessterCPA
Compared with my prior 2 cars, a 2001 Jetta 1.8t and a 1993 Civic DX 1.5l, this car has boat loads of torque. I have never had a time where I said "come on...lets go".

1993 Civic DX 1.5l and torque are not usually equated in the same sentence and with its 102hp.

Song of Post- Bob Marley- Duppy Conquerer

Guest JessterCPA
1993 Civic DX 1.5l and torque are not usually equated int he same sentence ha.

You are correct here. But it did have enough power to push all 2200 lbs of it around. I did the usual intake/exhaust thingy on it. And I got 36+mpg to boot. Ran better at 120,000 miles than brand new.

You are correct here. But it did have enough power to push all 2200 lbs of it around. I did the usual intake/exhaust thingy on it. And I got 36+mpg to boot. Ran better at 120,000 miles than brand new.

Yah you certainly can not fault it on its practicality and reliability.

Song of Post- Bob Marley- Is This Love

The "GT" and the "i" feel about the same (if anything the i feels like it has more down low) until about 2800 rpm+. THEN the GT starts trouncing on the i.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if the i has much more torque till boost starts bolstering it for the GT.

Were you in an automatic or a manual, I'm just curious? I test drove an auto and felt the low end REALLY lacked 'go' but ~3k rpm THEN you felt the blast of acceleration...I didn't like this!

Everyone here said it is cause it was an auto and manuals don't behave like that, so I'm curious to know if your experience is in an auto or a manual.

-Allen

Guest JessterCPA
Were you in an automatic or a manual, I'm just curious? I test drove an auto and felt the low end REALLY lacked 'go' but ~3k rpm THEN you felt the blast of acceleration...I didn't like this!

Everyone here said it is cause it was an auto and manuals don't behave like that, so I'm curious to know if your experience is in an auto or a manual.

-Allen

In contast, every LGT I drove was an automatic, and I have no complaints about the torque.

-Allen

This is a very good point. When i first got the LGT, i was taking off like a bat out of hell from every stop with my manual. It took me a while to get used to the power delivery, so i certainly didn't feel a lack of grunt.

Of course i was also coming from a car with 110 hp so it was noticable to begin with for my situation.

Of course i was also coming from a car with 110 hp so it was noticable to begin with for my situation.

DING DING!! Its important to know what sort of car the driver is comparing it to, of course if youa re coming from a car that did not have half the power of the GT it is going to feel dynamite, but someone coming from a big V-8 may think that the car doesn't have any balls until the upper RPM range. Its really individual feel and what your used to so only you can describe how the power feels to you.

Song of Post- Pink Floyd- Another Brick in the Wall (Full Version)

Guest JessterCPA
DING DING!! Its important to know what sort of car the driver is comparing it to, of course if youa re coming from a car that did not have half the power of the GT it is going to feel dynamite, but someone coming from a big V-8 may think that the car doesn't have any balls until the upper RPM range. Its really individual feel and what your used so only you can describe how the power feels to you.

The more I think, the more this statement makes sense. I have not had a torque-heavy motor my whole life. All smaller 4 cyl's, some with turbos.

Ford 2.3l

Dodge 2.2l turbo

Honda 1.5l

Nissan 2.4l

Volvo 1.9l turbo

Acura 2.4l

I still think the LGT has great guts down low. I have really no problem launching hard off the line.

Well what do ya know, yet another wrong post by you. I also test drove both and the GT felt like it had more torque everywhere. Which is why I bought one. The turbo starts to spool around 2200, which is when the GT really takes off. But in reality, 99% of one's driving in this car is above 2200 rpm anyway, unless you have a 5EAT. In a manual car, off-boost torque really isn't an issue.

Wait, wait...you weren't driving an auto were you? :lol:

-Nick

Im coming from a turbo 2nd gen RX-7 and used to driving turbos, thus 2500rpm is "low rpm" for me and thats where the car pulls from, but if your expecting and wanting major thrust at 1000 rpm, i dunno what to tell you. If youve never driven a turbo car, take a while to get used to driving one before you make a decision, maybe let the dealer lend you the car for a few hours (they did for me), then when you get used to shifting in the right places (ie, after 3500/4000 rpm, preferably more :) ) then you will see where this car shines. IMHO this car has TONS of torque and it comes on fast and hard after 2500 rpms... enjoy

Well what do ya know, yet another wrong post by you. I also test drove both and the GT felt like it had more torque everywhere. Which is why I bought one. The turbo starts to spool around 2200, which is when the GT really takes off. But in reality, 99% of one's driving in this car is above 2200 rpm anyway, unless you have a 5EAT. In a manual car, off-boost torque really isn't an issue.

Wait, wait...you weren't driving an auto were you? :lol:

-Nick

You need to shut your ignorant mouth...

A. THERE IS NO WAY POSSIBLE THAT THE GT HAS MORE LOW END TORQUE THAN THE i as the i Has a MUCH higher compression ratio and the same displacement...

B. I Drove and Bought MANUAL... I don't drive auto.. I test drove Both the i and the GT in BOTH auto and manual...

C. 2200 rpm is where it STARTS to spool... it's not making any serious power till 3k... the turbo produces over 13psi... you really think it's at capacity at 2200 rpm???

D. Low end torque is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD....

if you are driving on the highway and you NEED to accelerate you NEED low end torque... w/o it you are forced to downshift to a gear with more power. that is CRITICAL time...

I actually imperically tested them instead of driving them randomly and going by my "feelings"

I went on the highway and drove at 70mph... then FLOORED the gas... in both 4th and 5th gear in BOTH the GT and the i.

in 4th the GT obviously won hands down... in 5th the i picked up quicker... hence better LOW END TORQUE.

How old are you?

I went on the highway and drove at 70mph... then FLOORED the gas... in both 4th and 5th gear in BOTH the GT and the i.

in 4th the GT obviously won hands down... in 5th the i picked up quicker... hence better LOW END TORQUE.

4th and 5th gear are not a product of what the car is doing at 2200rpm. Just for a moment lets assume it does. Low end torque in general terms is referenced to what amount of TQ at X rpm. Keep in mind that in the GT 5th gear is where you will see boost begin to roll-off. This is not a problem in a N/A car. The observations you made are based on where the GT's powerband is (you were right in it). You can always do modifications to any car, TC or N/A, to shift the powerband. Ie.....changing the diameter of the exhaust manifold..ect ect ect.

Numbers: GT=250lbs-ft @ 3600rpm and 250hp @ 6000 rpm

2.5I= 166lbs-ft @ 4000 rmp and 168hp @ 5600

So I ask you....by these numbers who would have the better low end torque? Keep in mind that with the TC GT there is a period of "Lag", lets say up to 2200 rpm, but it hits max TQ 1400rpm later. A N/A car will need to suck up enough air and steadily progress it's intake to hit it's max torque mark, in this case the 2.5I at 4000rpm. The 2.5I will not be making any where near the TQ the GT is at even 2200rpm, let alone 3000rpm (give the TC some time to get to work). By looking at the numbers above you can see the GT has a wider powerband than the 2.5I. Which would be expected given the TC. What you are feeling in the 2.5I is a product of it's narrow powerband up top.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I actually imperically tested them instead of driving them randomly and going by my "feelings"

in 5th the i picked up quicker... hence better LOW END TORQUE.

its actually Empirically....

defined as.... 1 : originating in or based on observation or experience.

2 : relying on experience or observation alone often without

due reguard for system and theory.

Therefore....Empirically testing them would be exactly the same as going by your "feelings." Nothing personal, just clearing some things up.

Now back to the other part of the statement. It should be obvious to most people who have the MT that the best acceleration does not come just from slamming the gas down, you will get more from rolling on the gas.

Also at the point where 5th is doing 70...you are talking about almost 3k rpm...therefore the GT is in its powerband with the turbo spooled, so its already producing more torque on the highway than the 2.5i would be. Low end torque and high rpms, don't exactly go together.

I would expect the 2.5i to perhaps have more torque below say 2500 rpm when first starting from a stop,as opposed to the GT, but not really any other time, and certainly not on the highway at cruising speeds.

Guest JessterCPA
Testing under the same circumstance...

IE you test both cars in the same way and the same place in order to differentiate individual charactoristics.

The GT didn't have as much low rpm power as the i did.

OK Thanks.

I would be interested in following what Boxer is saying above & possibly having dyno charts of the i and GT on top of one another to see where the torque curves lie with respect to each other. Anyone have anything like this? I can see that if the i is making max torque at 4000 rpm and the GT at 3600, its quite possible that the GT has eclipsed the i's torque quite early in the rev range. Only a chart can tell.

Archived