LegacyGT.com

Boost Test - Howto

I swear I have read a how to on boost testing, but I can't seem to find it.

Can someone help. I am trying to make sure that if I have to plug some additional hoses I do and to figure out how much I should pressurize the system.

Remove oil fill cap, attach a boost test to the turbo inlet, remove and plug the breather lines on the inlet, apply pressure with compressor. Listen and watch to see how much boost your loosing over time.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Or, just plug the hose off the air filter box, I used a pint size paint can, pulled the small hose off the BOV, give it a short blast of air, put thumb over hose, listen for leaks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Or, just plug the hose off the air filter box, I used a pint size paint can, pulled the small hose off the BOV, give it a short blast of air, put thumb over hose, listen for leaks.

This is the method I used. Easiest one I could find. Fyi a Mx5 Miata oil filter fits in the intake tube perfectly :)

^ This for a quick test.

I put a rubber glove over the air intake/filter box hose, pulled the BOV and blew into it. Was very easy to detect my turbo inlet hole, the glove would start to fill but all the air was rushing out right around the inlet area. Needless to say nice finger sized hole in that bad boy. All better now.

I did also make a tester myself, but thought I'd go the simple route first which worked nicely.

Done this and it works perfectly. Detected a torn inlet. Replaced the inlet, and intake manifold gaskets while i was in there. No more boost leak :D.

Brought to you by Pfizer

I always use this method. Been working so far to fix both boost and vaccum leaks.

Archived