LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading about this.. it appears as though this was an actual issue with a naughty driver, but it's in the process of being corrected now.

story

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

There are no guarantees, wherever you get the cables from. That's what the problem is.

The work-around, from what I understand, is to NOT use the latest drivers and to NOT allow Windows to automatically install them.

Edited by fishbone

There are no guarantees, wherever you get the cables from. That's what the problem is.

The work-around, from what I understand, is to NOT use the latest drivers and to NOT allow Windows to automatically install them.

I ended up just ordering the tactrix from the site

There is NO evidence of this taking place. Am I missing it? As of now, FTDI is not planning to change their stance.

That was my take on this quote from the story:

"FTDI said, The recently release driver release has now been removed from Windows Update so that on-the-fly updating cannot occur. The driver is in the process of being updated and will be released next week."

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I am glad I was wrong!

Here's the full quote.

The recently release driver release has now been removed from Windows Update so that on-the-fly updating cannot occur.

The driver is in the process of being updated and will be released next week.

This will still uphold our stance against devices that are not genuine, but do so in a non-invasive way that means that there is no risk of end user’s hardware being directly affected.

I ended up just ordering the tactrix from the site

Thanks for that. I'm Mike, one half of the company that is Tactrix. We distribute our software freely because we want to eliminate the hassle of licensing and purchasing our software separately after purchasing our hardware, but to be clear, it's the sale of that hardware that funds our ability to spend our days working on EcuFlash, adding new vehicle support, and answering customer's support emails. Our software will always be free to use and we'll remain in business as long as we're able to sell the hardware that we've designed and is made in the USA (Washington & California). To those who support our company by purchasing our OpenPort hardware which is made to work with our EcuFlash software, our small company thanks you.

-Mike

• 11 months later...

i previously had the tacrtix cable and it was perfectly till the usb hub snapped, i just purchased the vag com and was having a problem with drivers, so i decided to just plug it in to the car. apparently the tactrix drivers already on my pc work perfectly with the vagcom FT232BL cable :-)

ps. i have windows 10 64bit

i previously had the tacrtix cable and it was perfectly till the usb hub snapped

We offer free repairs on our Openport 2.0 units. If you still have it, send me an email at support at tactrix dot com and we can figure out if the unit is repairable.

-Mike

Tactrix

If your friend is going to do the repair, that's okay, but two things to consider:

1) Is the broken off connector in good condition? If this damage occurs the connector is almost always badly twisted and shouldn't be re-used. You can buy a new connector from a parts supplier like digi-key, but just another reason that it's easier to send it to us since we keep these parts on hand.

2) It's important to use a soldering iron that is appropriate for circuit board use. Often people contact us after they attempt a repair using a heavy soldering iron and the board is damaged beyond repair at that point.

Usually units are repairable as long as the USB wire leads on the printed circuit board are still in decent shape. In some cases some circuit board lead damage can be worked around, but if all five leads are torn clean off, there isn't much that can be done since some of that goes in to middle layers of the multilevel circuit board where they can't be easily re-attached to. We'll work that out over email with some photo back and forth to save you the trouble of sending in a unit that can't be repaired.

-Mike

Tactrix

its a very clean brake half the 5 contacts are still on board other half on usb hub, not twisted at all just need to be melted back together and then re soldered to board on the 4 corners. is this something that sounds fixable, if so is there any charge ?

the guy i have is pretty good but id rather send the unit to you guys just incase

its a very clean brake half the 5 contacts are still on board other half on usb hub, not twisted at all just need to be melted back together and then re soldered to board on the 4 corners. is this something that sounds fixable, if so is there any charge ?

Sounds like a clean break. Shouldn't be a problem. Go ahead and send it in to the address mentioned in the support ticket. We'll solder in a new USB connector, test, and if everything looks good, get it back to you in a few days, no charge.

-Mike

Tactrix

• 8 months later...

I've been using my RL based cable to flash cars for many years.

I flash with version 1.29 ecuflash, and i edit with romraider.

If you want to edit with the latest version of ecuflash, Install xp mode and edit inside that, and then copy file over to flash with 1.29

13410415_10208006378172040_1148023084_o.thumb.jpg.bfd44eb04cae5d83fa2d8aa075a47829.jpg

Edited by JMLegacy

• 2 months later...
I've been using my RL based cable to flash cars for many years.

I flash with version 1.29 ecuflash, and i edit with romraider.

If you want to edit with the latest version of ecuflash, Install xp mode and edit inside that, and then copy file over to flash with 1.29

Do you have any more info on flashing with the rl based cable?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
So I was able to get a BL chip obd cable but does anyone have drivers that will work on windows 10. Ive tried everything but ECU flash only recognizes it as a usb-serial connection.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.