LegacyGT.com

Circlip Question

Looking for information on the axle Circlip. I have the front axle out this weekend and noticed that on the inner part there was a clip that I didnt know about. After looking up the part it turns out its called a Circlip. Essentially I just left it on the end, even though it was not the entire circumference and poped it back in. Is there any special treatment of the Circlip? Does it need to be replaced when the axle is removed/inserted? I am worried its going to fall off and cause some serious damage in the diff.

Item #4 below

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366495128003.png

They should stay on the axle, they are not a complete circle, they are a spring type retaining clip that helps to keep the axle in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That little clip is why you need to hammer the end of the axle into the plines to get the axle to seat all the way in most of the time.

I put a jack under the spindle and jack it up so the axle is a horizontal plane. Then put a block of wood over the end of the axle and hit it with a 5lb hammer, or a 10lbs sledge.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I used the jack to get it level, then just found where the axle matched up and gave it a good push (knuckle was still attached). I heard that sound, looked from above and the axle looked like it was in there nicely.

Archived