LegacyGT.com

What brakes will fit on 97 outback/legacy?

outbacksrt8

I want to upgrade the brakes on my 97 outback/legacy because the stocks suck and are not even sufficient enough in my opinion for normal driving let alone spirited drining. Yes i'v searched and havn't found a deff answer to what will work. I know alot of you guys are super smart and already know what will work, i thought it would be easier to just ask cuz i'm sick of searching!!!

From what i'v found if the wrx caliper will fit w/out an adapter the 05 STI brembo's will fit. Otherwise I was reading that the Impreza RS guys can get the 05 STI calipers to work if they get the wrx brake adapter. So if the WRX caliper mountings are the same these should work if I get the adapters. Can anyone confirm any of this please? or point me in the direction what will work. If I can get the brembo's that'd be great because I have them on my Jeep GCSRT8 and love them.

Thanks alot:D

outbacksrt8 - With all of the brake upgrades you mentioned you will require larger then the OEM 15" wheels from the Outback.

Option (a) OEM 10.9"/10.7" sized rotors w/ better pads, SS lines and fluid.

Option (b) OEM 11.4" WRX sized rotors + WRX caliper braket for the front w/ better pads , SS lines and fluid.

Option © OEM 11.4" WRX sized rotors + OEM FHI 4pot calipers, SS lines and fluid.

Option (d) Alternative brake kits sized from 11.4" to 13".

That's in the order of least expensive to most expensive. We have all the above solutions available.

I'm pretty sure the links I posted explain what you are asking. If after reading all of that you still have questions I will be more than happy to help you out. But as you might imagine we all get a little bit tired of repeating the same information over and over again.

outbacksrt8 - FHI = Fuji Heavy Industries aka Subaru.

You could technically fit the Brembo Calipers from the STi; however you will need the '04's Rotors. Note this set-up will throw your braking totally off and is not recommended unless you do the rear 2pot conversion as well. You will also need a new master cylinder from the STi.

If you absolutely want to run brakes larger then 11.4" you will have to get a kit properly engineered to work with the Legacy wagon or Outback directly.

I'm pretty sure the links I posted explain what you are asking. If after reading all of that you still have questions I will be more than happy to help you out. But as you might imagine we all get a little bit tired of repeating the same information over and over again.

Yea i was pretty positive but wanted to make sure. Most deffinetly i know what you mean by repeating the same info over and over again. I'v belonged to the cherokeesrt8 forum for almost 2 yrs as my other vehicle is a SRT8 Grand Cherokee and deff its annoying when newbs ask the same question. But there its alot easier to find info as there are only 06-10 model years. But here there is alot more varitions in years,models, etc and if I knew the answer I wouldnt of posted a thread becasue I did read alot.

outbacksrt8 - FHI = Fuji Heavy Industries aka Subaru.

You could technically fit the Brembo Calipers from the STi; however you will need the '04's Rotors. Note this set-up will throw your braking totally off and is not recommended unless you do the rear 2pot conversion as well. You will also need a new master cylinder from the STi.

If you absolutely want to run brakes larger then 11.4" you will have to get a kit properly engineered to work with the Legacy wagon or Outback directly.

Yep will be getting the O4 rotors. I was planning on getting the WRX rear calipers, they are 2 pot right?, so how do I know if I have the right MC, what is 1 1/16", is that the diameter of the MC?

outbacksrt8 - If you don't want to have a narrow choice of wheels to get, you're better off not using the Brembo's. Most 17" wheels with offsets that'll clear the Brembo's in 5x100 are not correct offsets to run on your Outback.

You would need to proportionately increase the rear brake size as well to maintain brake balance (ie: Run the STi Brembo 2pot set-up in the back).

outbacksrt8 - If you don't want to have a narrow choice of wheels to get, you're better off not using the Brembo's. Most 17" wheels with offsets that'll clear the Brembo's in 5x100 are not correct offsets to run on your Outback.

You would need to proportionately increase the rear brake size as well to maintain brake balance (ie: Run the STi Brembo 2pot set-up in the back).

No worries I will hopefully have 19's on the way that clear the brembo's. What offsets are not correct to run on my outback?

Will the WRX 2pots be sufficient enough on the back? To run the STI brembo 2pots what is needed? the wrx bracket or kartboys big brake adapter kit?

Also can you please answer my question about the front 05 STI brembo calipers w/ 04 rotors. You said technically they will fit but with what? is the wrx bracket the only thing needed.

Now what about the MC that you mentioned about, I need one if the calipers I have now are not 2pot? If there are 2pot then im fine? How do I even find out what I have short of taking the tire off and measuring the rotors.

outbacksrt8 - The style of wheel determines the clearance. Even if its a 19" wheel, the diameter will clear, but the width of the caliper may still come into contact with the spokes of the wheel. Widths between 7-8.5" can be ran, however offset of +50mm to +48mm are required to keep the wheel bearings in good health.

The WRX rear 2pots are not sufficient as they are the same diameter as your current rear brakes. To run the STi rear brakes you will need adaptor brackets and special rear rotors. Or you have to do a rear hub conversion and fit the R180 rear differential with a new R&P to run the STi rear rotors. Another alternative is to have custom axles made to fit the R180 hubs so that you can use the STi rear rotors.

Your best bet to run "Brembos" is to get the aftermarket Grand Tourismo kit. We also offer a 11.4" Monoblock Brembo Kit that will work with your car and a multitude of wheels.

The WRX rear 2pots are not sufficient as they are the same diameter as your current rear brakes.

no

Your best bet to run "Brembos" is to get the aftermarket Grand Tourismo kit. We also offer a 11.4" Monoblock Brembo Kit that will work with your car and a multitude of wheels.

meh. Pay how much for a new brembo gt kit vs. sti brembos for like $700?

how does the piston area and effective diameter on the GT kit compare to stock brembos anyway?

Ok I have rims that fit brembos, the end on that lets move on. Also I'm not goin to get no brembo BBK kit for a couple grand when I can get something equal to it for $500-$700

So to install front 05 STI Brembos w/04 rotors, do I need some kind of bracket, if I do what kind and where do I get it?

To install the rear calipers WRX MY02 do I need a bracket, if so what kind?

To install rear STI brembo's lets say 04-05 model yr's, I need a bracket, is the kartboy bracket the one I need?

Thanks, can I just get an answer so I can move on.

Archived