LegacyGT.com

I painted my calipers in "cast aluminum" (pics)

mele63

I painted my calipers in "cast aluminum" using VHT caliper/drum spray paint. I didn't want to use red, yellow, or blue. I didn't use black because I wanted them to remain somewhat visible from a distance. My intention was to find a close color match to the original color of the calipers (pre-corrosion & rust). As I was painting them, I was thinking the color might be a little too bright (the cap color from the can was more subdued). In fact the close up pix were taken while the paint was still tacky. It's unlikely that they'll even be that bright again. The pictures of the whole car were taken after driving a few miles. I'm happy with the results; they look like new/clean cast aluminum calipers now.

I'm posting one pic below, this is my first attempt to post an image here. I'll post more if/when I know I'm doing it right.

By the way, while I had the wheels off, I cleaned them up real good and waxed them with wheel wax (inside and outside). It was amazing how much grease/tar was on the inside of the front wheels (probably from undercoating at the facory).

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9135/ap71600517wv.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the responses . . .

The aluminum color also goes well with the brushed aluminum accents in the interior of the car (not to mention the remote for my Sirius Starbase, my cell phone, and almost every other electronic device sold today).

wow. that looks great. :thumbup: i'm not a huge fan of colored calipers (unless they say willwood, stoptech or brembo across them. :) ) but that looks great. it's subtle, yet it stands out enough to notice, but it doesn't look cheap, homemade or cheesy.

nice job.

dR

so shiny and clean! I just finished washing mine.. in the oven of the GA summer heat.. and it doesn't look anywhere near that good! mainly cos I dont have my spoiler yet hehe

calipers look good, makes em stand out a bit much tho dontcha think?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I think blue, yellow, or red would stand out a lot more on a SWP car.

As I said, the callipers will never look as bright as they did when I took those pictures; the paint wasn't even dry. As time goes on, the calipers will get greasy and dirty and the shine on the wheels will pop out. The only way to keep the calipers that bright would be to spray them with brake cleaner every time I wash the car, and that's not good if for no other reason than it will strip the wax off my wheels.

Either way, it beats rust and corrosion and I'll know I can always clean them up if I get the urge.

rust? they're not aluminum? my last few vehicles have had.. at least I THOUGHT.. aluminum calipers.. they never rusted or anything.. could have just been painted with something.. if they were cast iron like my old chevy trucks are I'd get some flat black high temp header paint to put on em.. 1200 degree resistant it says
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I think blue, yellow, or red would stand out a lot more on a SWP car.

IMO, unless I'm sporting Brembos, Subaru 4 POTs, Prodrives, Stoptechs, etc., the last thing I want is for my butt-ugly stock calipers to stand out. What they say about not being able to polish a turd really is true. Thus, flat black or "aluminum" are the colors of choice for me.

IMO, unless I'm sporting Brembos, Subaru 4 POTs, Prodrives, Stoptechs, etc., the last thing I want is for my butt-ugly stock calipers to stand out. What they say about not being able to polish a turd really is true. Thus, flat black or "aluminum" are the colors of choice for me.

I agree. After painting, I concluded the rear calipers are actually much more visually appealing than the fronts. The front calipers are very "lumpy" looking. When you see a car with OEM painted calipers, (usually on an "exotic" car) at least you know the designers/engineers took some steps to make them visually appealing.

great job, but i prefer black. i dont liek how if its between spokes its blends in with the rim. . looks nice though. ill be using the g2 kit that. you haveot paint it on with a brush and you only get like an hr to do all 4 becuase it cures so fast. it used it on my last car and its great. forms a hard shell.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived