LegacyGT.com

Jerky 5-speed manual

I posted this in the Transmissions forum, but wasn't getting any feedback. Hope somebody here knows what's going on:

My 03 Legacy is getting real jerky on acceleration and deceleration in a super-sensitive way that I can't smooth out. It's not so much a clutch-engagement issue (as far as I can tell) as it is a throttle issue. When I let off the gas in gear, the driveline is noticeable thumpy and jerky. When I accelerate in gear it jerks again. It's far more pronounced in lower gears, especially in stop and go traffic -- like if I'm driving in first or second gear and throttling on and off without using the clutch, it's real jerky. It's less jerky in higher gears. Also, it seems worse when the A/C is on. Would a gear-oil change help at all, or is this caused by some other issue? I've also suspected maybe the driveshaft/u-joints? I'm at 154K and the original clutch. It's just very sloppy overall, when it used to be much tighter. I've had the car since 19K miles.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it can be mounts, but if its that bad they ll have to be completely destroyed, engine mount will be on the subframe, its a rectangular rubber block, as for transmission i believe its located on the crossmember. before changing those, i would check the spark plugs, are the on factory ones? or have been replaced, this can also be your timing, make sure all your pulleys and belts are in good shape. Or it can simply be that you used crappy fuel, i would run seafoam through out the car to flush everything internally, it never hurts to replace transmission fluid, you can check the levels, the dip stick is on the left side of the transmission in the engine bay all next to the firewall, its really down there, so youll have to reach pretty good

it never hurts to replace transmission fluid, you can check the levels, the dip stick is on the left side of the transmission in the engine bay all next to the firewall, its really down there, so youll have to reach pretty good

No tranny fluid/dipstick on the manual. Its uses the diff. fluid for the gearbox

i just replaced my center diff and gear oil, i have been having this problem for quite a while and was wondering the same thing. its not the transmission mount because i had to replace it because i snapped the two bolts. I bought a group N mount that is from Subaru. the previous owner did the timing belt and water pump, plus i adjusted my valves a couple weeks after i bought it, i have 104K on mine

Had the same issue on mine, check your rear diff mount. The only way to replace it is to remove the rear sub frame, have it pressed out and a new one pressed in. Or you can go the approach I did and fill the sucker with window weld (liquid polyurethane found at any auto parts store) then use a large washer to hold it in. I let mine dry for a full week and it's been perfect for over a year.

Same exact problem with mine. Thought it was just my crappy driving up until i saw this post... curious as to what kind of damage could result if left as is. Anything serious?

Hope someone finds a solid solution.

:lol: This is my first stick shift car that I've owned and I also thought it was my noob driving skills, but it's been intermittent. Like on warm, dry days I get smooth shifts, but on wet days not so much. Could there be water getting in somewhere? I wonder.

Gang, I guarantee this has nothing to do with my driving skill; I can drive a stick just fine. The problems I originally mentioned at the top of this thread don't happen when I shift, it's when going on and off the accelerator. That's when I get the abundance of play/slop in the driveline. So, this forum is stumped then?

Interestingly enough, my 01 Legacy GT just a few days ago did something similar. As I was driving down the highway, it felt almost like the engine was cutting out for a split second. I felt something "funny" like a very slight wobble, and heard some muffled "thumping" noises almost like a flat tire. I pulled off the road to check things out, and everything was fine. Hopped back in, slowly drove it, and it was fine for the rest of the day.

My Fiancee has been driving the car lately, and just today, the thing bound up completely leaving the driveway and now won't go into any gear other than 1st and 3rd. I had already replaced the center diff a while back due to one that was binding up, but obviously there are other problems in there now.

~T.J.

Hi -I bought a 2003 Legacy GT 5MT new. It had the jerkiness in the drivetrain since the day i drove it home from the dealer. I have never had a car with this much play in the drivetrain. I'm attributing it to the weight of the car, the number of u and CV joints in the drivetrain, and very sensitive non-linear throttle shut-off. No AT Legacy or Outback I've driven has had this tendency.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived