LegacyGT.com

Had a belt fall off today...any assistance appreciated...

I started up my car before and when I put it into reverse it made this horrible screeching sound, so immediately engine off-hood up... what do I see...???...

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=1593

I have never had this happen to one of my cars before so I am a little clueless in regards to what to do now. Can I get the belt back on somehow until I can get a replacement put on? Is that even a good idea (if it slipped once it will slip again on startup right?) are there any special tools or specs to know of before going at this...???...

TIA everyone

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

05 so I guess it's out of warrenty.

How many miles ?

You can loosen the adjusting bolt and put the belt back on. I would buy replacement belts and change them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Took a look at that video and if only life could be as simple as that guys...when I loosened up that one pulley I didn't get any change in tension and still couldn't get it back to where it was (top pulley in the pic) + there was a harness behind it which is now ground to dust. So my next step, I am going to order 2 new belts and change both; what can I do about that harness was the mating end attached or part (built in, thereby neccessitating a new unit) of the unit? Anyone know a good place to buy the belts or should I just go stealership shopping?

Thanks again all

and Tommy, yeah it took me about 6 months to even get interested, bought the game on a whim and didn't stop playing for the next couple of months...unfortunately I have a ps3 so no DLC's for me yet...

Fred Beans Parts is a subaru dealer that will ship you oem items at the best prices, and they take returns. As for the wires that got rubbed away, time to solder! You really should get the "Vacation Pics" factory manual so you can see how to properly do everything to the car, unless you already figured it out.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I'm having a similar problem with my 04 Outback, so I thought I would piggyback on this thread. Its throwing both belts. I replaced a slightly damaged alternator/PS belt and it threw both belts again. It looks like there may be an alignment problem with the pulleys. The pulley on the engine looks like there may be a slight wobble to it when the engine is at idle. Do I have a bad pulley?

My wife's 01 outback puked the belt when the idler pulley bearing failed. New idler, tensioner (for good measure), belt etc. Took an hour - the two biggest problems were getting the old belt out from all the nooks and crannies it had been forced into... and getting the new belt on (it was VERY tight, tight enough that I questioned the belt routing 3 times before I finally just went nuts and got the belt in place.

Sorry, the idler isn't it. It seems the pulley on the engine is loose from the harmonic balancer(?). When the car is running, the pulley moves toward the radiator throwing off the alignment of the pulleys. I need to figure out how to keep the pulley in place or if the harmonic balancer(?) needs to be replaced.

It's like the oem pulley is two pieces. The inner piece is firmly mounted to the crankshaft and in it's correct position. Then theres an outer piece that the belts ride on. The two seem to have become seperated and the outer part of the pulley is sliding on the inner part.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69607&stc=1&d=1245263867

The inner part of the pulley is in it's correct location. The outer ring, that the belts ride on, is sliding in and out. When it slides out, it causes an alignment problem for the belts and they get thrown off.

pulley.JPG.62f6b7483663a5e12573f78fdb7be5ec.JPG

Is the front pulley falling apart a known problem with these cars? I just bought an 05 LGT with 75k on it. I noticed that the belt cover was gone and the AC clutch harness was chewed up, just like the original poster. The belts looked new and so I presumed the dealer I bought it from had replaced all the belts along with the filters and was curious why it had thrown the belt before.

While driving it hard with the newish looking belts it threw the AC belt and destroyed what was left of the AC clutch harness, along with damaging the timing belt cover. Since you can't buy the AC clutch anywhere I had to spend $200 on a junkyard compressor for a working clutch.

When I replaced the AC belt and clutch I noticed the front pulley looked funny. It looks like there is a vinyl cover that conceals the rubber bushing between the inner and outer part of the pulley, but it is torn all the way around. I guess if the inner and outer parts of the pulley are no longer well bonded to the elastomer bushing, then they could move axially in relation to the AC compressor, alternator, and PS pump pulleys, causing the belts to throw.

Looks like we're not the only ones:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84024

Good thing the turbo blew and it's sitting in the garage or I could have been out another $200 for a second AC clutch.

• 1 month later...
Maybe a mod should move this thread to Warranty Issues and Problems? It's going to keep popping up more frequently as these models age and preemptively changing the crank pulley could save people $600 for a new AC compressor because the clutch connector got ripped apart while the belts were jumping around.

I was too lazy to read through, but seeing your OP...Once you loosen them, fiddle around with them, take the old belts off and when you are putting the new belts on yada yada yada... when you are in the process of making them tighter with the tensioner bolt, do it nice, easy and slow. If you do it too fast and go too far, you may break the tensioner piece on the bottom which will lead you more into a money pit. So be careful!

• 3 weeks later...

While replacing both belts, I noticed the clutch wiring had been chewed up also and the timing belt cover has a hole in it where the belt had been rubbing on it.

Air still blowing HOT.

:(

I'm guessing in need to fix the timing belt cover as well. Tempted to do a duct tape repair!

No clicking when I turn on/off the AC, I guess either the damage to the harness created an open circuit, or the compressor clutch is gone.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

Speedneeder...

I assume you got the same problem my neighbor has. The root of the problem is a failing Crank Pulley as mentioned before in this thread. You need to remove that and replace it first. Once you take a look at it from the side profile and slowly turn the pulley, you will notice that the outer ring is not true and inline with the center of the pulley. It may be very slight or it maybe blatantly obvious but even the slightest offset will cause the belt to pop off kilter and cause failure. If this is in fact the case just changing the belts will not fix your problem! The belts will pop off and fail again if the crank pulley is not replaced! So check that first and save yourself another headache!

This is a good opportunity to replace with a lightened crank pulley not necessarily for performance but for convenience sake. You can justify this mod as "maintenance" ;)

I would also suggest you take the timing belt cover off and inspect the timing belt while you have the pulley off to see if the timing belt is ok. If everything is fine then replace the timing cover. If not maybe time to change the timing belt too!

ALSO, most likely FUBAR'd your harness and connector on the AC compressor clutch. AFAIK, you cant just replace the plug on the compressor so you will unfortunately have to replace the whole compressor unit! AND get the engine side harness as it will mostly likely have melted with the compressor clutch connector!

Call Fred Beans Subaru they should know what harness that is and check a junkyard or car-part.com for a used ac compressor. Tehn take it to a place to get the R134 replaced!

A decent amount of carnage for a stupid failing crank pulley!

-L

You are correct, upon further inspection, it was indeed the crank pulley that started the hole mess. It will be at least Monday before I can get a new one, bleh.

Thanks for you help and information.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

Archived