LegacyGT.com

Stock '05 LGT Wagon tires - ok in snow?

pellerin

I'm a new new owner of manual wagon. The snow will hit here soon. I wonder how the stock tires will do in the snow.

With my last car (rwd), I had separate summer and winter wheels that I swapped. Hoping I don't have to do that with this car.

For those with snow, any comments on how the stock wheels on theLGT perform?

Thanks in advance -

Kent

('05 GT Wagon, 3500mi)

Depends on where you are - how much (and what kind) of winter-mix you see - as well as road elevation changes, etc.

But honestly, if you drive conservatively, you shouldn't have a problem at all.

The wifey's WRX got through last spring's surprise Mother's Day storm just fine. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

NP. :)

I turn into a total pussycat when it snows/ices - it's just plain safer that way.

Sure, we've got AWD and ABS, but even the latter doesn't mean that we'd stop all that well (especially as it dis-allows "snowplowing") - no matter what tires we might have on our vehicles.

Also, don't forget to check your tire pressures.

The weather is always changing rapidly this time of year - so keep a good eye on your tire-pressures to be sure they're optimal. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I'm a firm believer in snow tires for snow driving. If you live in a climate that gets any significant amount of snow, then snow tires and rims are worth it. Not buying them is penny-wise but pound-foolish.

Remember that AWD helps get cars moving, but doesn't do anything for stopping. The tires control how much traction is available. Snow tires offer superior traction in snow and other winter conditions.

I'm a new new owner of manual wagon. The snow will hit here soon. I wonder how the stock tires will do in the snow.

With my last car (rwd), I had separate summer and winter wheels that I swapped. Hoping I don't have to do that with this car.

For those with snow, any comments on how the stock wheels on theLGT perform?

Thanks in advance -

Kent

('05 GT Wagon, 3500mi)

NP. :)

I turn into a total pussycat when it snows/ices - it's just plain safer that way.

Sure, we've got AWD and ABS, but even the latter doesn't mean that we'd stop all that well (especially as it dis-allows "snowplowing") - no matter what tires we might have on our vehicles.

Also, don't forget to check your tire pressures.

The weather is always changing rapidly this time of year - so keep a good eye on your tire-pressures to be sure they're optimal. :)

+2

I got through all last winter driving between Montreal and Toronto every weekend on the stock tyres, no problem. Just drive to suit the enviroment, if you drive in snow like you do on dry road you will crash, no question.

Living in Denver, CO, I go skiing in the Rocky Mountains twice a month during the winter and I feel and have always felt very comfortable with the re92's. They may not be as good as many other tires, but you are asking if you will be ok for the winter, so I say you will be just fine. Find an large empty parking lot the next time it snows and go fart around with your wagon. Throw it around and get used to how it will control under different types of slides. I believe that driver error is way more to blame than the re92's.

Just my $.02

Rocket

I've been living in snowy conditions all my life (save for the 5 years in college in SoCal), and the RE92's aren't that bad in the snow. I've only ever spent one winter on real-deal snow tires, and they did offer quite a bit more traction then the RE92's. That said, I still think the RE92's are *okay* for snow driving, IF you know how to drive on snow/ice. No sudden movements or acceleration changes. Never stab the gas or brake, etc. With proper driver education, the RE92's are just fine. They may not be the best, but they aren't the worst.

Personally, I already have summer tires, so once these RE92's are dead, I'll be switching to some better all seasons or dedicated snow tires, but for now I'm going to stick with the RE92's.

I will be driving up ere in Van BC Canada on my stockers this winter...possibly...I lived in Alaska for 10 years and drive the dreaded Whistler Hiway many times a week...I figure might as well give it a try...at least I can wear these out more quickly...we get snow but not all that much...just when it snows drive with humility and with a good all wheel drive system all should go well...but if you have full wnter conditions all the time with ice etc...a dedicated snow tire is reccomended...same driving tips still apply though!...good luck!

They'll get you by. I actually drove them pretty hard in the snow/rain last winter and had no problems. HOWEVER, this year, now that they have 26k miles on them I'm going to pitch them for some better all season tires. I don't want to buy dedicated snow tires due to the fact that work could potentially have me in San Diego for 2 weeks and I'd hate to eat up the snows and deal with the road noise and general crappy handling.

They'll get you by. I actually drove them pretty hard in the snow/rain last winter and had no problems. HOWEVER, this year, now that they have 26k miles on them I'm going to pitch them for some better all season tires. I don't want to buy dedicated snow tires due to the fact that work could potentially have me in San Diego for 2 weeks and I'd hate to eat up the snows and deal with the road noise and general crappy handling.

Oh, I must also add that I got them "siped" at the local Les Schwab. Now opinions vary on this but in the end I never slid off the road. I've been driving in the crap for quite awhile though too...

Now that I'm nearing the end of my good treadlife it seems these tires have hardened a little. Anyone else experienced this?

Well, living in a SERIOUS snowbelt 1 hour north of Toronto, I run winter tires on all my cars.....they are just far superior in almost any winter condition and are almost a prerequisite for driving up where I live.

I just purchased Blizzak WS50's for our new Legacy GT Wagon.....its gonna be a tank!

Does anyone know where to get 17" steel wheels for our cars????

Chris

PS. Love this car....our last car (an 05 Mazda 6s) was written off earlier in the summer.....

As mentioned before, you can get by in a mild snow region with all season tires. My last car was an Audi A4 that I ran with various all seasons, and generally with conservative driving I was able to get around. I never had problems getting going, but stopping and cornering had to be done very carefully.

With the GT I decided to get dedicated winter tires just for insurance and peace of mind when driving in bad weather. This will also allow use of performance tires in the other three seasons.

Question to Castor...how much were the Blizzak's what size did you get and where...just trying to budget...I know I can get away with the RE92's but getting by sometimes just don't cut it...especially on the Whistler Highway...no doubt the dedicated snows ate the best way to go...

Thanks

Johndas...

I paid $222.94 installed taxes in each for the WS50 in 215/45/17. I was also comparing the Blizzak LM25, Pilot PA2 and Dunlop M3...all which were more somewhat more cash. I opted for the Q rated tire instead of the H/V for the obvious better deep snow traction and ice capabilities.

Most other tires I priced were $250+++ each.

The next cheapest option was the Dunlop Graspic DS2 for between $145-160 +++ although every shop I went to without exception said to avoid the DS2 Graspic...not very good.

I'm now looking for some winter rims (stockers) to mount the rubber on.

If you drive very carefully the RE92's they can be used in light winter conditions. However they are very disappointing. I think one winter when they are new they are passable though. Just drive very lightly as your stopping and cornering ability is limited.

If you want one of tires that work very well in conditions the Nokian WR's are great but $$$. They are all-seasons rated as a winter tires that can stay on year round. They are great in wet, snow/slush, pretty quiet and people state on this board better dry performance than RE92s.

Archived