LegacyGT.com

Uel header and UP installed... Now a dango leak.

Flubyux2

So I just bought his car yesterday.

Today, I installed the uel 2pc header and cat less UP.

The fitment was way off. With one side of the header on the studs, the other side was 14mm too long and 17mm too far to the front of the car.

I ground the header primaries shorter and tried to tweak the bends on the LH primaries. I was able to pry the flange over the LH studs and bot everything down. I sealed it all up with the oem gaskets because I don't trust the metal/paper perforated gaskets.

Now, I seem to have a pretty noticeable leak where the LH primaries slip into the RH portion of the header. The UP and turbo connections all seem secure and I felt no puffs of exhaust escaping.

Does anyone have leaks between the slip joints of the LH primaries?

Any suggestions on how to seal them up... Besides welding?

Or should I assume that they will eventually clog up with soot?

Thanks guys

I actually was searching last night.

I ordered some 1.75" accuseal band clamps. I assume my primaries are 1.5" so I think the flared ends should be slightly bigger. I just hope these aren't too big to seal.

I installed the accuseal 1.75" clamps. My tubes were 1.81" od so they should technically have worked. They didn't seal though. I still had a noticeable puff coming from one tube. I really cranked down on the bolts. So much so that I snapped one... And they are 10.9 grade.

So I said eff this... I removed the clamps and got out the welder. I ran beads all the way around both tubes and as far around the tops as I could. Not sure if I got a complete bead between the tubes or a full pass on the top of the upper tube. I can't feel any jets of exhaust escaping so I assume its sealed up. I hated to put mild steel welds on the stainless tubes but I put a few coats of header paint on the beads. I hope they will stay rust free...

This is a greddy replica 4-1 uel off eBay btw.

Archived