LegacyGT.com

05 lgt turbo replacement options?

So, my girl is faced with a turbo replacement. Got the p0011 p0021 codes and on the drive home she heard the turbo sputter a little. She has the typhoon intake on there that really lets you hear the turbo spool, thats why she was able to hear the spool sound breaking up.

So... Budget is $1500-$1800

My original plan was:

Replacement OCV two of them for a total of around $170

BnR EVO 16g turbo $775

turbo feed line and ACVS replacement line. $245 (get rid of the damn filtered banjo bolts)

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-996/IP%26T-Complete-Filtered-Turbo/Detail

And a local guy here does road tuning for $300 (open source, no access port here)

Also considered a grimspeed up pipe ~$200

Plus all the misc gaskets/fluids

Now... I work with a guy thats big into Subies. He said i should go with a vf52 instead...

All the vf52s i see online are quite pricy where the evo16g is priced more in my budget and seems to have great reviews (though i heard of some of them blowing up :( )

So, thats where i'm at right now. Confused as hell and stressed out beyond belief.

Any advice guys/gals?

You do not always need new OCV's, they do NOT supply oil to the turbo, its just a common misperception. You get the CEL for OCV because the banjo bolt filter that supplies the turbo with oil also supplies the OCV with oil. So you will want to replace those/take the filter out of them.

I'm in the same situation my friend. Both the 16g and VF52 are good turbos. Though I am also on a budget and the 16g is the one I chose because for daily driving and reliability it is perfect for me.

Unless you plan on also upgrading the fuel system and going bigger whp then don't get the VF52. True you could use it with your stock fuel system and lower boost levels but to get max potential for that turbo you'll need it.

Though, you might want to think about upgrading the pump anyway because that system is 9 years old at this point in an 05.

A good reason could be for why the turbo blew is because the car has an aftermarket intake system on it without a tune...that will destroy turbos.

If the up pipe still has a cat in it, get a cat less one (recommend invidia).

You'll definitely want to get new gaskets for all your turbo attaching pipes (dp, up) anytime you replace these parts you'll want a new gasket.

My new setup will be:

BNR 16g with ip&t oil line kit

Dw65c fuel pump

Grim speed ebcs

Racer x fmic

I'm already stage 2 with the Cobb ap.

let me know if you want any more advice.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Brian, i'm changing the OCVs as a simple preventative maintenance type of a deal. Just eliminating any possible hickups down the road. You know? I've been reading they should be changed out after around 70k miles and this car is past 120k on the original turbo lol.

Monster, thanks for the info man! Really appreciated! I noticed you're getting an ebcs, at what point is that a "needed" part to add?

Will my girl have any issues passing emissions if we go with a cat less up pipe?

Six Star Turbo has a vf52 for 700 goggle them.

should be no problem with a catless up pipe, just delete the CEL when the car is tuned. Leave the egt probe out too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you still have the stock down pipe then you should pass emissions no problem. Even an aftermarket one will pass the sniffer test.

The EBCS (electronic boost control solenoid) is like a boost controller, but instead of it trying to get you peak boost through all your RPM range, it allows you to control when you want peak boost and when you don't. Example... say you want 3400-5800 rpms to be 18psi then taper to 14psi from 5900-RL

It helps the turbo out and makes tuning a lot easier.

I went with a vf52. Plenty of power since it's my wife's car. As it was stated before, anything bigger and your limiting factor is going to be your fuel system. We maxed out the stock injectors on the Leggy with the vf52. We have some other mods on there as well though.

Well, its decided.

BnR evo 16g it is plus invidia up pipe, infamous oil lines, DW fuel pump, all the necessary gaskets and the replacement OCVs.

I would have ordered the turbo today but the bank put a hold on the funds for one day.

I will be calling BnR tomorrow and ordering all my components from infamous's site.

I can't wait to see how this car will feel with all those components in :)

Thanks for the advice guys, especially WhiteMonster. Much appreciated!

Should go with some 740's/850's if you want to make the most of the dw65

Not looking to squeeze all the hp out of the combo, just a healthy bump in power and a bump in reliability. Its my girl's daily driver and i want it to last her without any issues.

The budget is already pretty stretched as is too :)

Well, its decided.

BnR evo 16g it is plus invidia up pipe, infamous oil lines, DW fuel pump, all the necessary gaskets and the replacement OCVs.

I would have ordered the turbo today but the bank put a hold on the funds for one day.

I will be calling BnR tomorrow and ordering all my components from infamous's site.

I can't wait to see how this car will feel with all those components in :)

Thanks for the advice guys, especially WhiteMonster. Much appreciated!

+1 sir

Get it tuned when all is said and done. Dave and I are going to put mine together this upcoming Saturday. I'll post results and pics. Watch for them.

Where ar you in CT ?

My Tuner is great, he's off exit 65 on rt84 in Vernon CT.

www.tuningalliance.com

See my sig for hp #'s that's with stock fueling. Car get's great mpg. It's my DD which also is my fun toy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Initially, the plan was to work on the car this upcoming Saturday as well, but it looks like my buddy is gonna be busy :(

Parts started showing up. The invidia uppipe is a b*tch to find apparently. Finally ordered it off ebay, since they sedmed to be in stock. Everywhere else they are on back order from the manufacturer.

The turbo should be here on Thursday.

Where ar you in CT ?

My Tuner is great, he's off exit 65 on rt84 in Vernon CT.

www.tuningalliance.com

See my sig for hp #'s that's with stock fueling. Car get's great mpg. It's my DD which also is my fun toy.

I'm in Newington, my girl and the car are in New Hartford.

Hmm if this tuner doesnt work out, ill give them a try. Thanks man!

+1 sir

Get it tuned when all is said and done. Dave and I are going to put mine together this upcoming Saturday. I'll post results and pics. Watch for them.

I am looking forward to any pics and pointers you can provide froyour instal man!

I found this post when looking for some info.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installing-bnr-turbo-139943.html

Starting to get excited here :)

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb442/NuarStanger/Misc%20pics/IMAG1538_zpsy5vydeeb.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb442/NuarStanger/Misc%20pics/IMAG1544_zps5iu7vi4e.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb442/NuarStanger/Misc%20pics/IMAG1545_zpsxhcpj0lu.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb442/NuarStanger/Misc%20pics/IMAG1548_zpsrezlvz9b.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb442/NuarStanger/Misc%20pics/IMAG1516_zpsdhxgrbut.jpg

Archived