-limited logging options

-Did I mention expensive?

Option 2: Infamous1 ETune

-Inexpensive

-Personal service

-Follow up with 6 revs in a one month period

-Excellent service, quick and proffesional communication

-Tunes are much better suited for your individual needs

-Logging with ROMraider is only limited to the ECU in your car.

-Infamous1 is a cool guy :)

Did I miss anything?

Both will be better than stock, but for roughly $4-500 less, you can have personal service and a tune designed specifically for your car!

+1 for infamous1

It is much better to tune to your car. I started with a generic base map, and found a couple small knocks on my car(not his map), so I would definitely go with him. He helped me with my valve timing and it really smoothed the car out. Eventually I am going to get injectors and a 255lph pump and go e85, and get a map set from him. There are probably 100 cars on here tuned by him. He is a "safe" tuner, meaning he won't compromise safety for performance. Also you may see an increase in gas mileage. Best of all your logging at real world situations, so the more load you can put on your car, the more knocks you will find, the more knocks you find the more you can adjust, etc.

I have had tunes both ways (AP protune and Infamous).

The only advantage I see with the AP is that you can quickly switch maps. I got an E85 and 93 oct tune from Infamous; if I go on a long trip I take my laptop in case I need to switch fuels.

Infamous was great to deal with and I feel I know more about my car after learning how to log and starting to learn to effectively interpret those logs.

your going to gain a descent amount of power if your stock, if you have a down pipe and CBE you'll gain way more, do you have an 05/06? if you do get an up pipe too.

The maps we are talking about are the fuel and timing advance and boost maps. there are more maps than that, but those are generally the most looked at. it specifies the amount of fuel to be put in at a specific load and engine speed, aka going up a hill requires more fuel than when going down hill even though both have the same engine speed. thats how a map works... basically

can someone give me more info on this infamous guy. what do i need to do and how do i go go about getting a tune. will he email it to me and i d/l it on that plug for the obd2?

dl to a laptop that gets connected to the car with the plug

I have a question about what i need to do when he says to provide him with my CAL ID for your rom what exactly do i have to do?

Open Rom Raider Logger while connected to your car. It will show the ID you are looking for.

ok. is this only for cali cars?

No, he just does road tunes in CA. He will send maps to wherever you are in the country. I just happened to be subscribed to this. I put this up there for those who wanted to contact him. The road tunes is where you drive down there, he sits in your passenger seat and you go tune.

I found the Remote tuning thread(remote meaning he sends you a map you put it on)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103997

I bought the AP to go stage 1 over a year ago. That was the only option. Now I have a stage 2.5+ with too many parts for the regular Cobb stage 2 tune. I had a Cobb protuner do a street tune. That was great because I had problems after 2 hours into the tune. The vacuum hoses under the IC popped off. We drove back to the shop and had it fixed and the hoses were tied down. Then another boost leak popped up (TMIC connection). Then all was well until the small hose next to the alternator that measures boost popped off. If I just bought a map I would have had all these mechanical problems and I'd have no clue how to fix them. The shop and a protuner quickly fixed the problems.

I also had a check engine light come on several times. The AP reads the code and resets it. That another good thing about the Cobb AP. It was the low cat efficiency code. The single cat in the cobb down pipe doesn't work as well cold. I received a new map and now that's fixed too.

I bought the AP to go stage 1 over a year ago. That was the only option. Now I have a stage 2.5+ with too many parts for the regular Cobb stage 2 tune. I had a Cobb protuner do a street tune. That was great because I had problems after 2 hours into the tune. The vacuum hoses under the IC popped off. We drove back to the shop and had it fixed and the hoses were tied down. Then another boost leak popped up (TMIC connection). Then all was well until the small hose next to the alternator that measures boost popped off. If I just bought a map I would have had all these mechanical problems and I'd have no clue how to fix them. The shop and a protuner quickly fixed the problems.

I also had a check engine light come on several times. The AP reads the code and resets it. That another good thing about the Cobb AP. It was the low cat efficiency code. The single cat in the cobb down pipe doesn't work as well cold. I received a new map and now that's fixed too.

You can reset all your codes using Learning View so this is not an issue if you don't have an AP. Also, all the codes can be "turned off" by your tuner (or yourself) so this too is not an issue. Anything an AP can do you can do open source.

When I went open source with Infamous1 I sold my AP for enough money to buy my Tactrix cable, an Asus netbook to use for logging (and lots of other stuff) and the tune from Infamous1. Seemed like more than a fair trade to me.

If you are using a Cobb "protuner" than they should be able to use both the AP or the open source software to tune. Just like with the AP you also get to save your stock rom (and all other roms your tuner gives you) for the future.

My AP was ok for a while, but going open source was the a far better solution.

Anything an AP can do you can do open source.

Not true, you can't live tune with open source. With that said, it totally depends on your budget and the Subaru dealerships around you. If you're still going to be able to get warranty work done with an open source tune on it, then an etune like infamous1 would save you a lot of money. If you've got the coin, get the AP and have it pro-tuned. Then you'll have all the bonuses of the AP and no worries when it comes to warranty time. One rejected warranty claim could easily counteract the money you save with an opensource tune. Regardless of what you decide, DO NOT run the OTS Cobb maps, they're complete garbage. I once boosted 22.5psi with the Cobb intake+turboback and their OTS Stage 2 tune. :eek::spin:

Archived