LegacyGT.com

Tech support?

oh well.... I'll be having LOTS of questions... I suppose I can post them all here.

I'll be honest, I'm a COMPLETE NOOB when it comes to Subaru's or anything Japanese for that matter... but domestic muscle in my hands though - and I can make UNGODLY power.... LOL

I'm discovering my donor motor - EJ20 has a LOT of different parts on it....

Such as fuel injectors - the parts on the blown motor -

Purple

17523 AA 140

A46-702-R04

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l277/cuebald/December1922_zpsbb376bed.jpg

on the donor motor

Green

17523 AA451

A46-702-D11

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l277/cuebald/December191_zpseabc43d8.jpg

whats the difference?

I think the only difference are the injectors. The old gray injectors are 440cc and the yellow injectors are 480cc. Check the resistance across the two pins. They should be around 11-13. You could ship them off to get cleaned and flow tested.

Both of your motors EJ20s twin turbos, right? Same year?

I think the only difference are the injectors. The old gray injectors are 440cc and the yellow injectors are 480cc. Check the resistance across the two pins. They should be around 11-13. You could ship them off to get cleaned and flow tested.

Both of your motors EJ20s twin turbos, right? Same year?

There was nothing in there about yellow or gray injectors.. lol

Purple and green! :p

Need more information on your donor motor to make the call.

Yes, theyre both ej20 motors - donor came with a 5pd and ecm

Original was an auto.

I've noticed differences between the sensors and wiring though and have had to swap some stuff from the original to the donor.

There was nothing in there about yellow or gray injectors.. lol

Purple and green! :p

Are you kidding? :confused: I was talking about your fuel injectors, not your fuel pipes. You were asking about differences. The fuel pipes are most likely be interchangeable. Look at the color of your injectors, they are gray in the first pic and yellow in the second. Two different types.

That's odd. If memory serves correctly, my injectors aren't grey OR yellow... they are red. Lol.

Your injectors are red. You have an n/a engine. He has a twin turbo. I have an sohc 22T turbo block with PINK injectors.

smh.

Are you kidding? :confused: I was talking about your fuel injectors, not your fuel pipes. You were asking about differences. The fuel pipes are most likely be interchangeable. Look at the color of your injectors, they are gray in the first pic and yellow in the second. Two different types.

smh.

I'll be honest, I didn't even see that.... :S my mistake.

problem is - the grey injectors are cracked up pretty good - the pintles are destroyed.

providing the injectors are run by the original MAF sensor though - they should flow the exact same as stocks... should they not?

According to the FSM the amount of fuel injected is regulated by the ecu from signals from the MAF, throttle body, as well as the throttle position sensor so one would think the yellow injectors will work. A lot of first gen guys upgrade their injectors when they add a larger turbo, tmic, etc. while utilizing the stock MAF.

If you get a chance could you post some pics of the cracks in the injectors? I had to wikipedia what a pintle was, lol. BTW, where did you source your JDM donor motor? You are fortunate to be a Canadian in many respects.

The pintle caps (area around the injector nozzle) is cracked right through in many places - I know with Bosch Injectors you can usually replace the Pintle cap (they come in individual packs) and are rebuildable - however, I don't think its the case with these injectors.

EX: Yellow cap on bottom right

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/images/DIYFuelInjectorCleaning09.jpg

As for the car and motor - I didn't source ANY of it... (I'm posted to a military base here in BC) and one of the kids bought it at the Base Auto Hobby Club - had absolutely NO mechanical background and decided to take on a motor swap as his first "project".

I'm not going to tell you what I paid for the car.... as most of you would be VERY mad.... lol (I scored BIGTIME). But he had bought the donor motor and trans for a 5spd swap.

I checked into doing the trans swap - but I don't need a Stick car (as I already have the BEAST sitting in the driveway - and I wanted something the other half COULD drive.)

yes, I know - we don't have to cut cars in half to import them! we're still bound by the 15 year rule.... but we still luck out in MANY respects.

I don't want to go crazy with mods on this thing - I actually want to keep it as close to stock as I can. I've already got one money pit.... I want a decent daily driver.

Well I stand corrected, that injector looks orange in that pic! Subaru injectors are like Skittles, lol.

Check out Witchhunter performance. They "rebuild" injectors. Maybe they can source some pintles. Otherwise use the gray tops.

And we won't be mad about how much you paid for it. It's fun to hear about someone's good fortune. ;)

No... don't stand corrected. .. thats an ev-1 bosch 19lb injector from a Mustang.

Itd be great if they made a kit, then I could use the originals - at this point though, I'm just trying to get it put together.

Picked up a crap-load of vacuum line tonight to start re plumbing the whole top of the motor - my new motor mounts and intake gaskets should be here from japan next week or so.

There is some "extra stuff" in the car that confuses me though

Gauge on the pillar pod I can only assume to be wideband .... and some module on the center console a spec mit35??

According to the FSM the amount of fuel injected is regulated by the ecu from signals from the MAF, throttle body, as well as the throttle position sensor so one would think the yellow injectors will work. A lot of first gen guys upgrade their injectors when they add a larger turbo, tmic, etc. while utilizing the stock MAF.

the PID that controls the fuel injection should be running on percentage, not total. a 440cc will push 440cc at 100% but a 480cc will push 40 more. so, given the difference there would be more fuel introduced into the cylinders at any given time if the larger ones are used. that will affect tune. how tho is the question, im not sure how much 40cc difference will change the mixture. considering youre only gaining 20cc at mid-throttle, it may be totally unnoticeable.

at least im assuming the ECU is using PIDs to control those analogs. they better be, it would be the best way.

I was looking at some injectors I pulled off the SS today and the pintles are solid metal. Could you post a pic of your actual injectors? How could they crack?

When I pulled the bad injectors out of the SS I didn't care if I destroyed them. Even if you crack the plastic on top they can still be reusable.

BTW here is a great write up on how to remove them: http://www.witchhunter.com/subieremoval1.php4 The screwdriver trick works great and you can pop them out quite easily.

I'll have to take some pics tomorrow....

the base of the injector (where the fuel sprays out) is covered by a faded yellow pintle cap (similar to the above picture - the injectors in my motor are just shorter.) but that cap CAN effect spray pattern of the fuel coming out.

see pic below

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5251/5526193687_9200b62c8a.jpg

Pic I found online - shows the pintle cap on the end of the injector.

Archived