LegacyGT.com

Changing Top Feed Injectors? Look Here for pix of fuel rail

After a few requests from members on how the fuel rails run I decided to take some pix.

I dont run the OEM rails, so I laid them out with the manifold and tried to display how they run and connect to the manifold. I also tried to label the hoses and fittings you will find.

You can swap injectors without removing the manifold completely. It is not the easiest, but can be done. Hopefully these pix help members understand what they are up against and maybe what goes where when putting it back together.

Details of the manifold and connections.

Then how the FPR goes together.

Not a whole lot to it. But when it is under the manifold it can be confusing.

Any questions just post them up or shoot me a PM.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

1767032177_fuelrail007.thumb.jpg.9ebfed7e68498413fb9999857805a76d.jpg

345280220_fuelrail008.thumb.jpg.73dba0c9d13daeb1c82d0503e1cfe402.jpg

1386890888_fuelrail009.thumb.jpg.f759e640d65bfdb383e837bcd77a5ca9.jpg

1724916913_fuelrail010.thumb.jpg.0a7996b61fb55c4688c626d13ea49daa.jpg

1267986047_fuelrail011.thumb.jpg.c14596019b4c0b17aa294ee9733d125c.jpg

1023858271_fuelrail012.thumb.jpg.f5ecf7fba38fb964f275253bde1e3791.jpg

Thanks Rick. Figured some pix were better than me typing explanations over and over. I am a more visual person anyway.

Manifold is still off so if someone needs more pix of whats underneath just let me know.

I have also done the air pump delete on my car. I was able to remove the atmospheric pressure sensor from the solenoid coil pack on the passenger side. Ditched almost 10lbs of crap and made a huge difference in ability to access parts. No ECU issues (all sensors still intact) and I have a list of CEL's to delete.

I could. I have all the parts and can still see the holes (my block off plates are in shipping now). Maybe it will be a later tonight/tomorrow project for the forum. It is not that difficult and you only need to save the atmospheric sensor for the ecu to work properly. The rest of the wires are just power and ground for the electro-magnet that is part of the solenoid.

• 9 months later...

I'm working on doing an installing an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and learned something about our stock one that I figured I'd share. Unless someone smarter than me can figure it out, you can't run the OEM top feed rails with an aftermarket FPR. This is because the fuel delivery hard line is open to the return hard line above the OEM FPR.

Sprank's last pic in post 3 shows this connection. In that image, the delivery line is the bottom line. The return line is the middle hard line that is connected to the delivery line then goes down (up in the pic) through the FPR and out the return soft line.

I learned that the return and delivery lines were connected after plumbing in everything for the new FPR and then turning the key to On to prime the system. It was quite a surprise to see fuel shooting out of the return hard line.

I cannot see in the pictures what exactly is going on... is the system setup to return extra fuel before going through the rails?

Is it possible to plug it with a Subaru FPR adapter and plug? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-LEGACY-IMPREZA-WRX-FPR-FUEL-RAIL-ADAPTER-EJ20G-/260587458938?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cac39117a

Not familiar with the stock 08 design...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

It is strange. Since the return and delivery lines are open to each ether where the hard lines start and the FPR is on the IM, fuel is essentially delivered through both the delivery and return lines through the IM. It is like it is a serial setup that had a line added to close the loop and also make it run in parallel.

Starting from scratch, that adapter will probably work. In routing my Aeromotive FPR, I cut off the rubber return line under the IM (one of the far left rubber lines in the first pic). I could probably replace the rubber line and run the adapter. However, now that I've got my eye on rails... I don't know...

Thanks for showing that adapter.

It looks like the linked adapter won't work but this one should.

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/part_p-169917_s-1.htm

This page says that the TS-0402-1001 will fit the 08+ WRX

http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?id=35

And these pages state that the Subaru part numbers are the same for the 08 WRX and 08 LGT.

http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/2008-SUBARU-LEGACY-GT-SPEC-B-Fuel-Injectio-p/subaru-5781973-leg-gtsb-4.htm

http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/2008-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-Fuel-Injection-Pre-p/subaru-5780215-imp-wrx-4.htm

Now, I just wish I knew what fitting the adapter uses.

• 2 years later...
Sorry to revive old thread but can I put that fuel rail in my 05? Looks like it should work without a problem, everything is pretty much the same. The cost of new/used fuel rail from disconnects to injectors and some 1000cc top feed injectors is cheaper than 850cc side feed injectors. Is there a reason why no one on forum has tried?

• 2 years later...
Sorry to revive old thread but can I put that fuel rail in my 05? Looks like it should work without a problem, everything is pretty much the same. The cost of new/used fuel rail from disconnects to injectors and some 1000cc top feed injectors is cheaper than 850cc side feed injectors. Is there a reason why no one on forum has tried?

Shame no one ever responded to this. I'm interested too.

Archived