LegacyGT.com

2015 Subaru legacy vs 2014 Ford Fusion titanium

kaaparaki

I am in the market for a new sedan and my wife insists that it should be an AWD. So, I am basically down to the newly announced 2015 legacy or the current ford fusion titanium. I am planning to buy the fully loaded version on one of them

My PROS for the legacy

Better AWD

More reliable, it seems

I like the eyesight, it not only gives warning but also brakes for you.

CONS for legacy:

Have to wait till July August to get it.

It does not seem to have factory installed parking sensors.

No automatic parallel parking

PROS for Fusion;

Better looking car

Automatic parallel parking

parking sensors

The dynamic cruise control uses radars which is better and has longer range vs the camera used by subaru

CONS for Fusion:

Its a ford; less reliable, less resale value

Precollision mangement only gives alert, does not brake for you.

Can anyone think of any other pros and cons. Have anyone else done this comparison?

Of note:

The camera on the Legacy has a longer range and wider field of view than radar does. It's also smarter and reacts quicker than radar. Eyesight was the only system out of all manufacturers to fully stop the car at a 25 mph speed differential. It's also less susceptible to outside elements like dirt and snow impeding the sensors.

Its two big drawbacks are the bulky cameras (which are supposedly smaller on the 2015 Legacy) and that it will shut off in direct sunlight. The 2015 will use radar for rear crosstraffic and blind spot alerts.

The Legacy won't park itself, but it does have a camera instead of back up sensors.

the Isurance Institute for Highway Safety found that a camera alone was better for avoiding accidents while backing up than sensors or even a camera plus sensors.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wouldn't knock ford anymore for "being a ford." Their quality has gone up a lot. resale is still lower than Subaru, yes so that's a con. depending on what engine choices you are looking at, the Subaru actually gets better gas mileage in the 2.5i setup as the fusion titanium is only available with the 2.0 ecoboost. Some people are inherently against buying any car in the first year of a new design, typically more problems. just my 2cents.

The bulky camera doesnt bother me. I thought the eyesight system wont work well when visibility is limited, like dirty windshield, rain or snow and the radar system worked well in those conditions.

I think parking sensors are very useful in addition to backup camera. I have it in my Sienna and use it daily. It has both front and rear parking sensors

Of note:

The camera on the Legacy has a longer range and wider field of view than radar does. It's also smarter and reacts quicker than radar. Eyesight was the only system out of all manufacturers to fully stop the car at a 25 mph speed differential. It's also less susceptible to outside elements like dirt and snow impeding the sensors.

Its two big drawbacks are the bulky cameras (which are supposedly smaller on the 2015 Legacy) and that it will shut off in direct sunlight. The 2015 will use radar for rear crosstraffic and blind spot alerts.

The Legacy won't park itself, but it does have a camera instead of back up sensors.

the Isurance Institute for Highway Safety found that a camera alone was better for avoiding accidents while backing up than sensors or even a camera plus sensors.

Don't rule out a 2015 Charger AWD. Only will be in the V6 (300HP) this round, just revealed yesterday. Won't be out until late 2014.

A leftover '14 Charger R/T AWD will be able to be had for low $30's. Nicely equiped with heated/cooled seats, heated/cool cupholders, remote start, HIDs, LEDs, sunroof, memory seat, awesome navigation, and 370HP!

Don't rule out a CPO 2012+ Infiniti G37x for $30K (under $10k miles). Also don't rule out CPO 2012+ Acura TL SH-AWD for around $30K. Same warranty as a new Subbie or Ford. I'd rather have a 1 or 2 year old CPO premium car than a new Subaru or Ford for same price and warranty coverage.

On the reliability front, I don't know enough about Ford's reliability to say with any certainty, but I suspect that it may be a case of perception not matching reality. I think Ford has improved a lot, and I wouldn't necessarily expect today's Fusion to give me any more grief than my Legacy has. And I suspect Subaru's reputation for reliability is slightly overstated.

My '07 2.5i Limited is at 104,000 miles and it's been ok but not stellar. Off the top of my head, here are the notable issues it's had:

Bad a/c condenser replaced under warranty early on (maybe 30k miles)

Fuel sending unit shorted before 50k miles, lighting up the dash and killing the fuel gauge. Replaced under warranty.

Bad wheel bearing assembly replaced just out of warranty at several hundred dollar cost to me.

Head gasket leak necessitated $2000+ head gasket replacement at 90k miles

Also, not a huge deal but I'm on my third windshield and I suspect that Subaru's windshields crack more easily than any previous car I've owned (unless I've just been really unlucky with rock impacts).

I'd consider the Buick Regal AWD too.... The GS looks overpriced, but standard trim versions seem to be nicer than either Ford or Dodge offering. Am still waiting to see the new Legacy firsthand before I choose one, but am leaning toward the Regal.

Actually just traded my 2012 legacy gt in on a 2014 taurus sho and couldn't be happier about the decision. Granted it's not exactly apples to apples.

EDIT: Made this decision once they released model line up information for 2015 legacy.

danjr80,

A '13 Taurus SHO is #1 on my list. Glad to hear you like it.

It meets all my requirements....AWD+Turbo+Fully decked out.

Did you get the performance package?

People say it's a night and day difference with just a $500 tune. Knocks off almost a second in the 1/4.

So, I am basically down to the newly announced 2015 legacy or the current ford fusion titanium.

My advice would be to drive both, and get the one you like the best.

They are commonly cross-shopped cars, though maybe not for folks who were looking at the LGT (which hasn't been around for a few years) since the Fusion didn't offer a manual in the upper trim levels. If things like automatic parallel parking are important to you, then that has yet to be offered in a Subaru, so your decision has already been made. The Eyesight system seems to work very well, and I haven't seen any reviews that have said it would be better if it had radar... the one option the Ford offers that I wish I had is the cooled seats - that would be nice here in the summer.

Dodges suck gas and are poor quality. A used ford, Acura, etc. might not be bad if you find right one. It's not a bad idea if you can't afford new. Just make sure the dealer is close and will support warranty. You might be spending a lot of time there if the po beat the leased car. The Taurus sho isn't bad, but I would get a nice pickup truck for that price. Probably get same mpg too. I agree with the other poster about not being able to see out of Taurus. Plus police departments are using them as squads and those will drive the used price down. Who wants to own a car that looks like a used squad? Lol

I think this thread is in wrong spot.

Fusion bigger, roomier, pricier. I would rather get a Lexus IS if I put out that much $$$$$ for the Fusion, very questionable with its reliable. The Legacy just a tad smaller but seem to be 2nd after the Fusion as in int/ext size. Subaru hands down the best AWD in its price range competitors which are FWD. When talking about AWD Fusion you're talking about CLA 250 4Matic and Lexus IS 250 price range. I've been shopping for my second vehicle for the past 3-4months now. I've tested drove the 2014 Buick Enclave, 2014 Tahoe, 2014 Infiniti QX80, 2014 Benz GL450, 2011 IS 250, 2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i then the 2014 CLA 250. Yesterday I stopped by Chevy and see a pearl white Impala which really catch my eye, great interior but still not able to compare with the Legacy's standard option with much more techs. Again the 2014 Impala still comes out close to the 30k+ range if I want similar options but still not available in AWD version (salesman lies to me on this one, said AWD available in higher trim.). against the Legacy then I would rather go with the 2015 CLA 250 4 Matic/2014 IS 250 instead. But if I ever go over 30k for a car I would rather get the 2015 Suburban instead which will be utilized for everything. But I already have a 8 seater SUV, so the 2015 Legacy 26/36mpg 2.5i Limited really fitted me for daily to work.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Just remember, when those tech "gadgets" go tits-up on or after normal BTB warranty, you're typically looking at $1K+to repair it. For Subaru, less is more. And this from a Subaru Master Tech talking about all Subaru's new tech bits.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Legacy all day over the Ford, Auto parking doesn't work like you wish it did, since the majority of spaces you will attempt to park in aren't 25-30 feet long. Eco boost i.e. turbocharger mean maintenance and less forgiving when you forget to do so. Ford AWD is not equal to Subaru's.

If you like the styling of Legacy but the gadget of he Ford remember gadgets tend to lose their usefulness as time goes on, and Subaru has a decent suite of their own gadgets.

Taurus SHO > Legacy GT

Faster stock, faster tuned, and options Subaru won't offer for another 10 years.

I hope the new Legacy with push button start gets a better keyfob than the WRX.

This is pretty sad:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/wrxsti/sti15x-21.jpg

• 5 months later...
Fusion bigger, roomier, pricier. I would rather get a Lexus IS if I put out that much $$$$$ for the Fusion, very questionable with its reliable. The Legacy just a tad smaller but seem to be 2nd after the Fusion as in int/ext size. Subaru hands down the best AWD in its price range competitors which are FWD. When talking about AWD Fusion you're talking about CLA 250 4Matic and Lexus IS 250 price range. I've been shopping for my second vehicle for the past 3-4months now. I've tested drove the 2014 Buick Enclave, 2014 Tahoe, 2014 Infiniti QX80, 2014 Benz GL450, 2011 IS 250, 2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i then the 2014 CLA 250. Yesterday I stopped by Chevy and see a pearl white Impala which really catch my eye, great interior but still not able to compare with the Legacy's standard option with much more techs. Again the 2014 Impala still comes out close to the 30k+ range if I want similar options but still not available in AWD version (salesman lies to me on this one, said AWD available in higher trim.). against the Legacy then I would rather go with the 2015 CLA 250 4 Matic/2014 IS 250 instead. But if I ever go over 30k for a car I would rather get the 2015 Suburban instead which will be utilized for everything. But I already have a 8 seater SUV, so the 2015 Legacy 26/36mpg 2.5i Limited really fitted me for daily to work.

Similar experience, same way we got to the legacys. Had to chuckle on your comment of buying a sub if you spend over 30K. You be lucky to get a new sub at 2x your 30K. See the new caddy esv, north of $90. Better to put miles on cheap cars that get good fuel mileage and save my truck for fishing.

Taurus SHO > Legacy GT

Faster stock, faster tuned, and options Subaru won't offer for another 10 years.

I hope the new Legacy with push button start gets a better keyfob than the WRX.

This is pretty sad:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/wrxsti/sti15x-21.jpg

Maybe true but in ten years the "gadgets" in the ford will undoubtedly not work the way they should and the subaru will still be working like the day it rolled off the assembly line. The Subaru will probably be worth more too. Ford earned their low marks for reliability and they continue earning them the same way GM and Chrysler have.

Archived