LegacyGT.com

Subaru donations...

hmmrdwn

Like Subaru donating money to charities, but don't like it tied to me buying a new car. I know the logic, I just think subaru should do it based on something other than my purchase. When I buy a car, I want to buy a car, bout make donation. Stupid marketing campaign in my opinion.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can always donate on your own, it doesn't have to go through Subaru. If you want to donate to a certain organization, there is nothing stopping you.

Subaru is essentially dedicating a certain percentage of the profits on vehicle sales towards charitable contributions. Why is this stupid?

They are catering to their market. They know their buyers. So when a buyer of that particular demographic, whom is passionate about donations, has purchased a Subaru, a portion of the sale goes to a charitable contribution. So they get the car they wanted and the charity gets some money. It's a win-win situation.

So you are saying you would rather not know the political leanings of the companies you purchase from? Every corporation has a political bias which they support in one way or another.

I accept that Chick Fil A has delicious chicken but hates homos. I support many other companies that are more in line with my political leanings but it's a fact of life.

Yeah, I know it has good intentions and works on some people. I just don't like it. They've donated a lot of money towards charities. It shows that they are all sensitive and stuff. :) I just don't see where the good deal is in it for me. Sure seems like they are donating part of the money I paid (or overpaid) for their product. If I want to donate, I will donate at my time. I want to buy a car not have the car company take some of my money and for a forced donatation.

Get a great deal and support a great cause.We know our owners care. That's why we created the "Share the Love" event. By the end of this, our sixth year, the total donated by Subaru could reach $35 million. We’re offering a great deal on any new Subaru, and with every new vehicle purchased or leased, $250 will be donated to a choice of charities that benefit your community. Now through January 2.

Isn't this a nice problem to have.

On a serious note though, it's their decision what they do with their money.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

That's not right though because they're not raising car prices to make up for the donation. That seems to be what he thinks as far as I can tell.

Exactly. I suspect OP wants a cashback bonus instead of that percentage of sales going to charities.

:confused:

I'm guessing one of two things.

1. He wants the money "set aside" for charity to instead lower the price of the car

or

2. He doesn't agree with the charities they've chosen.

Bingo! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!:) I want to donate to certain charities. Not have it tied to the sale of an auto I purchased. I'm not opposed to matching fund donations or other fund raisers used in other ways. Sure it makes Subaru out to look good, but heck practically every company does has some type of program. I'm careful who I donate to and watch the charities expenses and overhead. I also like to give directly by avoiding layers.

Maybe the goverment should do this with health insurance policies. How about personal health insurance carriers promoting charitable contributions based on individual health insurance policy sales? "Buy a health insurance policy and we will donate $250.00 to cancer research or diabetes foundation." I wonder what the public would think about that? :confused:

Can we deduct the Subaru $250 "donation" off our personal taxes? :lol:

You're mixing personal opinions with objective facts.

This thread is about "I disagree with where/how the money is handled" mixed in with the debate over "this ad campaign is objectively bad"

I want to donate to certain charities. Not have it tied to the sale of an auto I purchased

So you disagree with the charities that the money is going to in this example?

Why is it a bad thing in this specific situation to have it tied to a sale?

Look at it this way, even if they don't tie it to the sale of a car, any donation of money in the end still comes from the same revenue stream.

It's a distinction without a difference to say "Subaru is tying X dollars out of the sale of every car to charity" vs "Subaru is donating X percent from profits to charity"

You're mixing personal opinions with objective facts.

This thread is about "I disagree with where/how the money is handled" mixed in with the debate over "this ad campaign is objectively bad"

So you disagree with the charities that the money is going to in this example?

Why is it a bad thing in this specific situation to have it tied to a sale?

It's my opinion that I don't like it. I want to give to charities I chose, with little cost or overhead. I also want to give directly to the charity and most of the time make it locally.

Thats my opinion. Others are free to disagree. There are many positives to Subaru doing it. I just don't like it tied to a sale/purchase.

No problem. :) I understand people disagreeing with me. I threw it out for discussion. I wonder how much it costs subaru to run that marketing campaign for the charitable giving?

Probably less than what they expect to earn from it.

I think that it's kind of a habit from Subaru - put in some unusual twist somewhere. Paul Hogan, Lesbians, Charity... The Paul Hogan commercial caused people to think Subies were Australian... :cool:

As long as you are seen and you don't do really something really stupid with a commercial like cremating jews or similar people will still recognize the brand even if they might think that some commercials are like lipstick on a pig.

453747.png

Is this what you mean by self promoting and putting lipstick on a pig? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/22/kim-kardashian-ebay_n_4323183.html

Kim Kardashian Auctions Clothes On eBay For Philippines Typhoon Victims, Giving 10% To Charity

I'm glad you posted that. :) When you think about it, 1) Kim paid way over retail, 2) Is giving these items up and 3) giving 10% of the money she has left.

That is probably more of a sacrifice then Subaru when they give $250.00 of the sale of a car to a potential future car customer and parts/service customer. I'm thinking Subaru is making more than $2500 per car between the point of sale and time car is out of service.

I'm buying a 2014 Legacy, and didn't even know about the promotion. I found out about it afterward, via a commercial I think,and felt good about the fact that the car company I've chosen to buy from has decided to donate money for every purchase, and let's me decide where the money should go based on the provided charities. Sure, it's a marketing campaign, but it's still a "feel good" moment for me. I'm picking the Make a Wish foundation.

Congratulations and welcome to the site. Subaru does a lot of very humble things with their corporate support and while they don't trumpet it all of the time, I know that I and many others have benefited from it. It's good to see their proactive leadership in this. Every little bit helps.

Again, welcome.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'm buying a 2014 Legacy, and didn't even know about the promotion. I found out about it afterward, via a commercial I think,and felt good about the fact that the car company I've chosen to buy from has decided to donate money for every purchase, and let's me decide where the money should go based on the provided charities. Sure, it's a marketing campaign, but it's still a "feel good" moment for me. I'm picking the Make a Wish foundation.

Advertising charitable giving is becoming more popular by large corporations. There is no doubt some Subaru buyers/owners will "feel good". :) You are the desired target market. :) Welcome!

Subaru was also one of the primary sponsors for the Bike MS: City to Shore ride I participated in, biking 75 miles from Cherry Hill NJ to Ocean City NJ. I don't remember them trumpeting that either. Seems like they are a decent corporation.

Archived