LegacyGT.com

ACT lightweight flywheel on 08 2.5i. it works!

the story is, while shopping for flywheels, everyone was out of stock of the exedy. if you were shopping for lightweight flywheels like me, you know exedy is the only one who markets a flywheel for the leggy 2.5i. now, that flywheel also works for a bunch of other subarus. so i picked one, and started looking for other manufacturers.

this led me to my purchase. i bought the XACT Prolite flywheel. its 10lbs, significantly lighter then the factory.

IT FITS! bolted right up as it should. and boy what a difference. let me just clear up some misconceptions. people were constantly warning me about the 10lber.

"your idle will be funny" - nope. idles beautiful. i did seem to lose my cold start high idle. ill have to find out in the morning.

"you'll throw a CEL" - nope. put a few miles on it tonight, nothing at all.

"you'll have misfires" - nope. car runs beautifully

driving impressions? throttle response is instant. it shoots up like a rocket, and falls like a rock. its a little hard to get going, it definitly takes some getting used to. a thing to point out, is that it never gets harder then flat ground to take off. it was the same taking off when i left my driveway as it was when i had to start on the hill.

1st and second are ALOT faster. and every gear give you a better push in your seat. i highly recommend this to anyone who uses the "subaru" in their subaru.

How much heavier is your clutch pedal? Do you need 10% more force or is it 2X or more?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

its ever so slightly heavier. not enough to hurt in stop and go traffic. not that id ever want to get stuck in stop and go with a LWFW lol.

VIDS! just a free rev on after it was done. ill try to get a driving one tomorrow.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD5BdMml4vQ&feature=share&list=UUEjuJN_XS05EuA__93aEORg]08 legacy 10lb flywheel - YouTube[/ame]

you can buy modified torque converters for some sports cars. Not sure if yours is on that list.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

No flywheel? Doesn't the engine still need a spinning mass to keep it going between explosions?

What would really help would be to sell me your stock wheels. Off topic? Yes, but i take every chance I get to solicit 3.0R owners for their wheels :lol::lol::lol:

Haha. I love those mags so you'd have to offer me a good price, plus i live in New Zealand so it'd cost an arm and 2 legs to ship them to America

Damn you hahahahaha Ill find a owner that wants "better" wheels one day and Ill seize my chance :lol:

• 1 year later...
the story is, while shopping for flywheels, everyone was out of stock of the exedy. if you were shopping for lightweight flywheels like me, you know exedy is the only one who markets a flywheel for the leggy 2.5i. now, that flywheel also works for a bunch of other subarus. so i picked one, and started looking for other manufacturers.

this led me to my purchase. i bought the XACT Prolite flywheel. its 10lbs, significantly lighter then the factory.

IT FITS! bolted right up as it should. and boy what a difference. let me just clear up some misconceptions. people were constantly warning me about the 10lber.

"your idle will be funny" - nope. idles beautiful. i did seem to lose my cold start high idle. ill have to find out in the morning.

"you'll throw a CEL" - nope. put a few miles on it tonight, nothing at all.

"you'll have misfires" - nope. car runs beautifully

driving impressions? throttle response is instant. it shoots up like a rocket, and falls like a rock. its a little hard to get going, it definitly takes some getting used to. a thing to point out, is that it never gets harder then flat ground to take off. it was the same taking off when i left my driveway as it was when i had to start on the hill.

1st and second are ALOT faster. and every gear give you a better push in your seat. i highly recommend this to anyone who uses the "subaru" in their subaru.

sorry to bring up an old thread but it popped up as a result from google searching "08 legacy 2.5i flywheel" - i decided of going with the ACT SB2HDSS perfomance street clutch and just wanted to see how the XACT prolite flywheel was holding up and if you have any updates on pros/cons on this vs the exedy

Wow, its been a while! My legacy ran itself out of oil in september of last year. I Did put about 10k on that flywheel though, and ill still say its one of the best upgrades you can do, period. It takes some getting used to, and anyone else that drives your car will stall it, guaranteed. But you get better mileage and noticeably better performance. Well worth it imo. The guy that bought the car from me actually is still running the same flywheel. He says its still holding up great.

Now im in the market for a LWFW for my new car ;)

10483631_10202798936962430_100722587272384236_n.jpg?oh=d4eb2fdf5995361f1db34fb7625afc9a&oe=55117F2D&__gda__=1427347069_dcec2dc36495ca169b392a5399ef5fa6

sorry to bring up an old thread but it popped up as a result from google searching "08 legacy 2.5i flywheel" - i decided of going with the ACT SB2HDSS perfomance street clutch and just wanted to see how the XACT prolite flywheel was holding up and if you have any updates on pros/cons on this vs the exedy

^^^^^

Archived