LegacyGT.com

reliability: 08-09 n/a vs. turbo

looking at getting back into a legacy in a year or so. i've hunted around and have found plenty of info for 05-07 vs. 08-09 turbo, and a little for 05-09 n/a in general. here's what i (think i) know about each powertrain:

• 05-06 ran with a catted uppipe that would fail and assassinate turbos/engines, but 07+ was catless
  • banjo bolt filter to the turbo: if you remove it and don't keep a clean engine, you get crud in the turbo = fail. if you don't remove it, the filter clogs and cuts off oil to the turbo = fail. for 05-09 (MY?)
  • 05+ HGs seem to hold together for more than 100k miles
  • flywheel back, everything is the same between the 2.5i and gt with a manual (exc. spec b) for 05-09
  • n/a didn't change (much?) from 05-09

what have i missed or am wrong about? i'll be looking at getting something 08+ with a manual trans and under 50k miles, so it shouldn't have any issues to start. if they're both comparably reliable, i'll jump on the gt

07+ got the vf46 which seems to have slightly better reliability than the 05-06 vf40, but that could be because 07+ usually have less miles than an 05-06. the 2.5i 5mt is not the same as the GT 5mt, different part numbers, and clutch is also different. you're right about the catless uppipe.

subaru changed the oil delivery lines to the turbo and AVCS in 07+ due to the introduction of emissions air pump which runs for 30seconds during cold starts, this was subaru's alternative to catted uppipes. The changed oil lines still have a filter, and is more difficult to get to since the bolt is underneath the inlet. 07+ have 2 filters, one in the pass head oil feed under the inlet, and one in the drivers side head that feeds that side AVCS. Regardless of year LGT you get, you should inspect the filter on the pass side to reduce the possibility of turbo oil starvation.

regardless of year LGT, poor oil change intervals will undoubtedly reduce turbo life, if you come across an lgt that "just had the turbo replaced", run away, the shortblock could have been damaged in that event if the previous owner drove with a shot turbo.

07+ got a revamped interior/dash/cluster and seats, 08+ got the same plus a new steering wheel and paddle shifters for the 5eat models.

I have almost 100k on my 05 gt mt and still have the banjo bolt filter in w stage 2 and 17 psi and have had no problems.

2nd, although I cant say for sure about the banjo bolt. I never took it out but the previous owner may have.

I have almost 100k on my 05 gt mt and still have the banjo bolt filter in w stage 2 and 17 psi and have had no problems.

+3, I have just over 100k.

EDIT: Even better, here's a quote from the high mileage thread. This should dispel the bad reliability rumors of the GT.

206,000 on my 2008 GT. I have not done any drivetrain mods, since this is my primary work vehicle. Through the life of the car, I have replaced:

Shocks and struts with TEIN Basic coilovers (that currently need replaced)

I run DBS Rotors with Hawk pads

clutch

power steering pump

radiator

timing belt (twice) with a tensioner pulley replacement this last time

Sparkplugs

Other than normal maintenance items (wipers, headlights, tires), that is about it on the replacements. I change oil religiously every 5,000 miles with Schaeffer 9000 full synthetic. I am still running the original turbo. Would I say it has the same "snap" as it did at 10,000 miles? No, it has lost a step, as they say, but it is still fun to drive. I get about 26-28 mpg depending on foot heaviness. Anyone getting more/less?

2005 LGT 5EAT just over 100,000 miles (100,600 actually). All stock with a K&N drop in filter. Stock turbo and the banjo's still in. Motor is holding up great but the tranny could use a reflash. The rest of the car makes all kinds of bumps thunks and rattles. The drivers door especially. The rubber lining on the passenger front door panel didn't hold up (I think my wife picks at it to be honest). I'm hoping to get under the car soon and start taking a look at rod ends, endlinks, ball joints, struts, and all the other potential clunky things. I replaced the rear brakes when I bought the car because the rear pads were all pitted and glazed but that's about it for things other than normal wear and tear since I've owned this car. Only thing I can tell that's obviously been replaced by the last owner is the alternator. The one on the car isn't factory and the case is cracked from somewhere. I think it happened during reinstallation by some idiot since a reman company probably wouldn't ship an alternator with a broken case.

My '92 Legacy was a warpig and I have no reason to believe this one will be any different as it gets older.

Another 05 here, no issues and just put in a different turbo(vf52) and the stock vf40 with 102k had absolutely no shaft play at all at stage 2 power.

05 does have a issue with rear wheel bearings with an extended warranty til 100k/8 years but most 05's are past that by now as its almost 2013

I took a look at the high-mileage thread and there seems to be a lot of the same stories. I had 2 bad alternators on my 98, so I guess that runs in the family.

If I go gt, i'll definitely buy an AP to have a bit more fun with the car. They look like they hold up well with a tune except for some turbo stories. Thoughts?

For whatever reason, my posts are invisible....

07+ got the vf46 which seems to have slightly better reliability than the 05-06 vf40, but that could be because 07+ usually have less miles than an 05-06. the 2.5i 5mt is not the same as the GT 5mt, different part numbers, and clutch is also different. you're right about the catless uppipe.

subaru changed the oil delivery lines to the turbo and AVCS in 07+ due to the introduction of emissions air pump which runs for 30seconds during cold starts, this was subaru's alternative to catted uppipes. The changed oil lines still have a filter, and is more difficult to get to since the bolt is underneath the inlet. 07+ have 2 filters, one in the pass head oil feed under the inlet, and one in the drivers side head that feeds that side AVCS. Regardless of year LGT you get, you should inspect the filter on the pass side to reduce the possibility of turbo oil starvation.

regardless of year LGT, poor oil change intervals will undoubtedly reduce turbo life, if you come across an lgt that "just had the turbo replaced", run away, the shortblock could have been damaged in that event if the previous owner drove with a shot turbo.

07+ got a revamped interior/dash/cluster and seats, 08+ got the same plus a new steering wheel and paddle shifters for the 5eat models.

Archived