LegacyGT.com

Update request... how are all the 5EAT valve body modded trannies doing?

spacejunkiehsv

I'm curious as to how all of the 5EAT's with valve body modifications are holding up, over time. The info is a little scattered.

If you don't mind please share the following info.

(1) mileage pre and post VB mod along with associated power levels during those miles

(2) how you car was (is) driven for each major mod "stage"

VB mod done in March 07. Approx 24K miles on the car with STI Swap and VF39. now have 44K miles (today) and going strong. Running just under 300 whp however it is unknown at this time. It has survived road tuning, 6000 mile drive down the AK Hwy and Cassiar Hwy, dyno tuning at PDX and back, one full season of autox and drag racing where I took the car 2-3 times per month per event. I averaged 6-12 hot laps per event at the strip and co-shared my vehicle at autox numerous times. The car is running extremely well, tranny seems to be solid and gears are going strong. Techs at dealer have been extremely impressed w/ this mod and so far feel it is keeping the tranny healthy, still no signs of slippage at this time. Never know though.... I will be easing up on her this coming summer, only one or two track events most likely since it will be sold to my tech who pretty much built her.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 1 year later...

Cobb Stage 2 map flashed at ~40k miles, no trans problems - just sloppy & slow shifts when on the power.

Installed the VB at 50k miles. Shifts are much firmer under power. Sport mode is great now. I can actually drive the car more like it has a manual trans throttle response-wise since it reacts immediately (more like a manual trans) instead of a delayed automatic trans response.

If you want to drive the car hard, here's my best feedback on the difference with the VB:

For hard cornering & street driving, taking 90 degree turns at speed and getting on the gas results in a slight power slide and immediate acceleration which I could never control enough to do smoothly without the VB.

I've never tracked the car or gone to the strip, but it handles stage 2 power levels much better now.

56K before valve body, Stage 2+ for virtually the entire life of this trany

55K since the valve body, 400 whp since 61K.

Tranny at times can feel a bit tired, and at other times works great.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

had mine for the last 4k miles...one track day on it...a slushy on track is just that, slush...but it did shift nicely (firmer, quicker).

That said, all is well daily driving with it and will soon have a big turbo in the 350WHP range that should really put it to it's test by the end of May.

Just a few more little pieces to come in and it's ready for install time.

Oh, and any Boston area folks that want to do this mod, I will happily help you install your modded VB.

20K+ miles with VB and putting down 320whp/290wtq and still going. I put in the VB due to trans slipping issues (after 20g install) so my guess is the clutch packs were worn from stage-2 (25K miles) with no VB.

The trans is holding strong for now. A bit more sluggish when the car is being run hard and trans is hot. Just had AT flush done and gear engagement seems a bit improved. I think the 17-20K AT fluid change interval I have seen posted is about right.

^^ and let's add that was my modded VB that I put a good 20K miles on HARD track and driving that is now in HLS's 5EAT and seems to still be going strong.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

VB done at 65k miles.. pushing 93k miles now and only slipped once which was my fault

when it was done I was running a 20g on meth.. now the current setup as follows which I've been running since around 79k miles..

• FP Red Turbo 3 inch Inlet 8cm Exhaust Housing
  • AVO High Flow Fuel Pump
  • Deatschwerks 740cc Injectors
  • Grimmspeed TGV Deletes
  • Grimmspeed Ceramic Coated PnP Exhaust Manifolds
  • Grimmspeed HiFlow Crosspipe
  • Grimmspeed EWG uppipe
  • Tial 38mm Wastegate
  • COBB Catted Downpipe
  • GFB-Hybrid Blow-Off Valve
  • Perrin Big MAF Intake
  • Perrin 3inch Turbo Inlet
  • GM Boost Solenoid
  • AEM Water/Alcohol Injection Kit (100% Alky)
  • Phenolic Thermal Manifold Spacers 8mm
  • WBR Front Mount Intercooler
  • NGK Iridium 1-Step Colder

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

• 3 weeks later...
Haha, mine knows about it but she can't tell the difference. I tried to explain it by pointing how quick the revs drop and she understood it. No difference in feel under the butt, it's all on the tach. Actually I take that back, the tranny does feel like it "pulls" more efficient, being more tight and strong. I have close to 100 miles on mine, the total cost was little over $1100

Archived