LegacyGT.com

"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
What are the benefits for a stock LGT?

It would simply be added security. There's a slim chance that your TMIC could suffer from endtank separation at stock levels (mine was starting to), but I'm not about to broadcast a "sky is falling" type message and say that everyone who owns an LGT needs to do this.

At stock boost levels, take a look at your TMIC on the front passenger corner. If it looks like the tabs might be starting to fail I would recommend the bullet proof kit. If everything looks to be in good shape, save your money and check it every once in a while. If you ever plan to go stage 2 and are leaning towards keeping the stock TMIC, just bulletproof it now and be done with it.

Final note: if your endtanks separate completely, this kit cant really help you. You need to catch the problem before the intercooler actually develops a significant leak if possible.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
And .... Done

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/14/9aja6y8y.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Looks great! Now be sure to pass that banding tool around for the other Canadians up there!

• Moderators
Shipped out another completely bullet-proofed intercooler to ktmrider this week. One kit will go out in the mail tomorrow, I think that leaves 3 on the shelf at the moment--need to finish up some more this week.

3 more...buy them up....great vendor, great product...re-tuning another car tomorrow for a stage 2 tune with a aftermarket dp and a bmb bulletproofed tmic kit. I would rather tune a car with a bmb tmic kit than without because it eliminates the possibility of the tmic coming apart durring a tune..

Thanks and props goes to seeeeya for the concept but bmb for the production....

Dave

Edited by cryo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I could not get the zip ties on very tight, even with the banding tool, separated the first zip tie trying. It's on now, but they are pretty loose as I didn't want to break another one. Any tips or guidance on this?

Nvm, I watched the video again and I just need another set of hands.

Edited by BoozeRS05

• Moderators
I could not get the zip ties on very tight, even with the banding tool and separated the first zip tie trying. It's on now, but they are pretty loose as I didn't want to break another one. Any tips or guidance on this?

Hmmm. One key to getting them tight is keeping the tool parallel to the rails. If you hold it perpendicular while you are tightening you can run into problems. If you are doing that already, the next things is to make sure you have an extra set of hands to help with "locking" the tab in place. It's difficult to hold the tie tight and set the lock on your own. Pull the tie so it is tight, give it just a tiny bit more torque on the tool, and set the lock.

I've been including an extra zip tie in every kit because I know their is a bit of a learning curve when using them. I have gone through a few of them myself and recently bulletproofed an intercooler that someone sent me--I still had to use three ties on the last one to get both ties as tight as I would like.

Hit me up if you need some more ties and we can work something out.

Yep, I edited my post, just needed a hand to set the lock with the banding tool in place.

I'll give it another shot, but I've cut the excess and lightly set the locks already.

In hindsight I would probably go with the #1 kit using hardware, seems like it would be more sturdy.

For what its worth, I used a "third hand" cable puller meant to tighten brake/shift cables for bicycles such as [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-94-27-403-Third-Hand-Cable-Puller/dp/B00165P4PO]http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-94-27-403-Third-Hand-Cable-Puller/dp/B00165P4PO[/ame] to hold the SS ties while I set them using a hammer with my other hand.

In hindsight I would probably go with the #1 kit using hardware, seems like it would be more sturdy.

Just to assure you in your decisions, the banding will not fail and the channels will not come off of the IC if installed correctly. You just need them somewhat tight to start so they don't slip out of the rail troughs.

Mine are still as-installed :)

<-- longest running banded bulletproofed TMIC. (built/installed March '12)

But yeah, the hardware method will not fail either... both are good means to an end and there are more methods if you want to keep iterating on design.

• Moderators

A couple more kits were ordered today and I finally had the motivation to finish cutting up the rest of the material I have. All the material that has been milled is now finished and ready to ship. I have a total of 5 kits available that are left and have not been purchased.

After those are gone I'll see if the interest is still there to produce more kits. Lead time will be similar to before (between 2-4 weeks, give or take).

As always, thanks for the orders--for those who ordered today, I'll most likely have them in the mail for you tomorrow :)

• Moderators
Just ordered one. I plan on testing the limits of this with a BNR 18G. I have a spare stock TMIC just in case.

Just ordered Kit #2 for my OEM TMIC

That's two more kits down, only three left!

fmowry and TehRicer, your kits will go out in the mail tomorrow, thanks for ordering!

• Moderators

Been reviewing things a bit tonight and I'm amazed at how everyone has bought up these kits--can't thank the community enough and I hope everyone who has received their kit is happy with the product.

I have a decent amount of material left to make the "short" pieces already so I'm going to go ahead and have another batch milled up so that I can make enough "long" rails to match up. I'll update things when I have a better idea of how many extra kits I'll have available. For now I have 2 kits available--I'm guessing that within the next 3 weeks or so I'll have more available, total number yet to be determined.