LegacyGT.com

Nice hotels in San Fran?

deneb

Hi folks! Pacific Northwesterner here, we're driving down through the Oregon coast and continuing down 101 to San Fran for our honeymoon and I'm wondering what hotels would you recommend in downtown San Fran? Nothing too pricey i.e. 5 star hotels, but something nice and reasonable considering it's downtown.

Also, what sights would you recommend checking out in San Fran? We'll be there mid November, but being from the Seattle area I know all about drizzle, so that doesn't worry me too much.

Thanks!

The Serrano. http://www.serranohotel.com/ It's near a dodgy neighborhood to the east or Bay side (the Tenderloin), but apart from that the location's good. Cable car lines are a couple of blocks away.

If you're driving, then go to Sausalito for sure.

You'll be passing right through a huge wine making region on 101. Don't miss your favorite wineries.

I'm a Seattle transplant myself. I am not sure about the San Fran area, but the Santa Cruz/Scotts Valley area, the Hilton is really nice.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Hi folks! Pacific Northwesterner here, we're driving down through the Oregon coast and continuing down 101 to San Fran for our honeymoon and I'm wondering what hotels would you recommend in downtown San Fran? Nothing too pricey i.e. 5 star hotels, but something nice and reasonable considering it's downtown.

Also, what sights would you recommend checking out in San Fran? We'll be there mid November, but being from the Seattle area I know all about drizzle, so that doesn't worry me too much.

Thanks!

Excellent honeymoon idea!

My wife and I drove the PCH from San Luis Obispo all the way to Astoria, then cut up to the 5 for Portland and Seattle. You're absolutely going to LOVE the drive. I'm sure you already researched your honeymoon, but keep in mind that when you drive the 101N/S from Eureka down to SF, you drive for the twisties and scenery. It WILL take a while to get from point A to point B.

I know you're asking for downtown San Francisco, but another good place is Sausalito. It's just right over the Golden Gate and you can still hit up Pier 39 (fisherman's warf) by crossing over. Boat rides to Alcatraz are near by and you can also ferry on over to the other side of SF if you'd like. For a honeymoon, save yourself the anguish and don't drive in downtown if you can help it.

For a nice bed & breakfast, check out The Gables Inn Sausalito.

http://www.gablesinnsausalito.com/rooms.html

My wife and I stayed in the Redwood Room.

-Jim

I grew up in SF. Check out the Cliff House, Sutro Baths, Fort Point, and the standard downtown sites like Ghirardelli Square, Fisherman's Wharf, etc... I'ld catch a game at one of the new stadums too... but the 49ers s*ck these days...

Bike or walk across GG bridge.

There's an old WWII gun turret at Fort Funston that hang gliders used to jump off. That used to be cool to watch because it was on topof a sheer cliff.

You may want to drive down to Monterey and of course on your way down stop by Napa Valley.

It doesn't drizzle in SF as much as Seattle winter, but it gets cold. I mean it could get down to 40 or even the high 30's!!!

80 from Redding through the 505 split is a bit boring so bring some tunes and a rope for the steering wheel.

SF area, definitely check out Napa wine country for a day. Carmel/Monterrey/Santa Cruz/Half Moon bay is a decent day trip.

See:

View from top of twin peaks (great city view)

Fort Point at the Presidio (great bridge view)

Fort Mason/Aquatic Park (nice place to stretch your legs)

Lomard (drive down a little touristy)

Pioneer Park (walk up to coit tower for some exercise)

Golden Gate park (drive through)

Lincoln Park next to the golf course has nice benches for a picnic w/view of the bridge.

Walk around the Marin Headlands. Wander through downtown Sausalito

Avoid like plauge:

Pier 54/fishermans wharf it's a tourist trap

I'm not a big fan of Haight district but I've got friends that used to live there.

Locals knowledge.

Momma's on Washington square has damn good breakfast.

North Beach and Chinatown suck for parking.

Cabs are more expensive than almost all metro areas except Hawaii.

Mission district has some of the best Burritos in the world - great cheap eats (I think La Costenia in Mountain View has the best Pollo Mole burrito, and La Fiestiva has the best mole sauce, I live in the mission and have been to most of the 50-100 taquerias here).

Take Gough or Franklin instead of Van Ness (101) for North South. Also Fell/Oak for west/east.

Gough st is pronounced "Goff" NOT "Go" (as in Van Gough).

280 is a better north/south route than 101. Faster and more scenic.

The best ice cream in the city is Joe's or Michell's

Skyline/Hwy 35 is a fun drive, also Hwy 9 on a weekday.

It can be 55F/foggy at the beach and 62F/overcast downtown and 75F/sunny in the mission at the same time (if you don't like the weather go 4 miles in any direction).

The are 1000s more dead people than alive in Colma (most of the cemeteries were moved out of SF just south to Colma).

5 stars are st francis, intercontinental mark hopkins, fairmont

The Westin St. Francis has pretty good deals occasionally (we stayed there for an anniversary a couple years ago).

In terms of sights, I think the others have that covered. :)

-Mike-

I was out in San Fran this summer, I stayed at the Hotel Nikko. Very nice hotel, very nice asian style decor. Don't know how much the hotel was, because I didn't have to pay for it.. :)

Free, all expenses paided trip to San Fran for a week, FTW!

Shared bathroom for a standard room??? This is for my honeymoon, I don't think that's an option :)

Actually, I made a reservation for the Westin St. Francis, it was cheaper than I thought it would be. Plus it's right on the cable car line. Thank you all for your suggestions!! It's been almost 20 yrs since I've been in SF, I'm looking forward to it!

The Westin St. Francis has pretty good deals occasionally (we stayed there for an anniversary a couple years ago).

In terms of sights, I think the others have that covered. :)

-Mike-

+1 on the ST Francis. Lots of history in this hotel. It survived the Great Quake of 1906!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived