LegacyGT.com

Front Differential Backlash help needed

burnout8488

I've determined that the backlash in my front diff has somehow gotten maladjusted somewhere in the process of me installing a new clutch.

Symptoms: Drivetrain bucks and shakes when clutch is engaged. When the clutch is released at almost any speed, the drivetrain settles as if it is letting out a sigh of relief, "ahhhhhh." At low speed the drivetrain shake sounds torturous, and when accelerating from a stop there is a lot of front differential gear whine that wasn't present before I did the clutch job. I can tell the drivetrain is binding, and it isn't happy.

Steps Taken: Engine, transmission, pitch stop, crossmember mounts have all been replaced with new OEM. No change.

I had to replace my drivers side front axle seal when the transmission was out. I am guessing when I was tapping it in with a rubber mallet, somehow the adjustment ring on the transmission shifted, changing the differential backlash for the worse.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/burnout8488/Screenshot2010-11-04at40854PM.png

Has anyone done this job before?

I am not in a position to open the transmission and actually measure the backlash correctly at this time... I don't think anyone would WANT to do that. I feel as if this slight amount of drivetrain binding might destroy my diff in the future though.

My question is, might I be able to correct this if I tap the adjustment ring one tooth left or one tooth to the right, using trial and error? I never actually saw the ring turn, so it can't be off by that much. Do these go out of adjustment that easily?

In that case I will ask.....

Is there anything that could have been orientated incorrectly upon reinstall that would increase gear whine and create an imbalance in front/rear left/right shaft speed?

This seems to be a rare problem, and a couple posts on NASIOC have led me to believe it's my diff backlash setting.

Tire pressures have been double checked. 42/42.

EDIT: Looks like there is a lock plate on the adjustment rings so they can't be moved unless the plate is removed. Now I'm stumped. Maybe it's driveshaft related?

When I pulled out my driver's side axle initially, a circular spring came out. It was about the diameter of the axle seal, and I figured it got ripped out from the inside of the seal when I removed the axle. That's why I replaced the seal. Appeared to be the innards of an axle seal at least.

It was from the seal........right? :p

These rings you speak of, are they inside the transmission and can be seen with the axles out? Or, are they external on the transmission case where the axles slip in?

Did you put everything back together correctly? Bolts in the driveshaft carrier bearings, or anything?

It's really unlikely that you knackered the front diff backlash, but if you did you'll be pleased to know that you need special tools and to actually know what you are doing to fix it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The axle seals have their own springs. They can become dislodged when you remove the axles.

The rings I'm talking about float loose in front of the differential. You can see them in this picture (the number 21 is sitting right on it) and they are visible with the seals in and the axles removed. You need to make sure it is sitting level and flush on the differential. When I removed my axles it slid down and I had to slide it back up to sit level again.

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/scooby/dogbox.jpg

Did you put everything back together correctly? Bolts in the driveshaft carrier bearings, or anything?

Yeah, everything has been checked over and retorqued so many times I lost count.

Th3Franz, I'm doing my LCA bushings soon. I'll pop out the axles, shine a light in, and see whats up in there. Thank you for your help.

Archived