LegacyGT.com

I need help diagnosing my problem!!!

OK so here is the deal. I have an 05 legacy 2.5i limited. Last night I was messing around and trying to see how well my car handled in the rain. So i began driving but whenever I moved to a different gear, the RPMs would be really high without the car moving really fast. Anyway, I noticed that my car had a burnt smell in the inside. This morning, I went to move it and when I turn it on, it makes a noise. The noise is like when you turn the key and the car is already on. After it makes the noise, it runs just fine. I drove it to and from school and work with no problem. That noise, however, has me weary because it makes it every time I turn my car on. ANY IDEAS/HELP????? :confused:

The starter could be hanging on after you turn the key back to on, is that what your saying ?

These things are known for that. It normally only happens when it's cold out. mine did it for a few winters before it began to happen all the time, that's when I replaced it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Really Max? I've never heard of that happening. Did you inspect the starter after it was replaced? I wonder if the teeth on the starter pinion got knackered.

Sounds like the car has an MT, and the clutch is slipping badly. The noise you hear is probably the rivets on the clutch plate scoring the flywheel, and it stops when the plate drifts backwards on the splines after startup.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Cars to me are like women to Stephen Hawking. I don't know shit about to to fix/replace. I can change a tire, some headlight bulbs and that is about it. I did, however, think right away that it had something to do with the starter. But I wonder if it had anything to do with my shenanigans from the previous night.

he said he went to and from school with no problems.

its the bendix is not releasing like it should my 2.5i did the same i replaced starter

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

he said he went to and from school with no problems.

its the bendix is not releasing like it should my 2.5i did the same i replaced starter

RPMs high without the car moving.

Starter won't cause that.

Could be the starter too (though unrelated to driving like a maniac), but the RPM symptom is definitely clutch related.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Cars to me are like women to Stephen Hawking. I don't know shit about to to fix/replace. I can change a tire, some headlight bulbs and that is about it. I did, however, think right away that it had something to do with the starter. But I wonder if it had anything to do with my shenanigans from the previous night.

If there was a thanks button I would've used it.

So you need to replace the starter and your clutch may be on its way out. To test the clutch, accelerate full throttle from like, 35 mph in 4th gear. If the clutch is failing the rpms will go up but the car won't go any faster.

Archived