LegacyGT.com

To early to start thinking about winter? Winter Beater Build Help

I just picked up my winter beater for this year. Back to a Subaru after almost two year hiatus. 06 N/A MT sedan. I figured this year I'll be ahead of the game!

This winter, I'll be having a 130 mile round trip to work, 3rd shift! Over the highest Interstate pass in New England (isn't plowed or maintained at night) and through the deepest wilderness in VT. I need ideas to build the ultimate winter beater this year! I'm looking for overkill, complete overkill.

All I can think of is mocking up a LED light bar into the grill. Then the usual yellow fogs, RA flaps and then General Altimax Arctic tires.

How much snowfall? If you need more height you can put on an outback suspension + bodylift spacers. that would give you about 8.5 - 9.5 inches of ground clearance. Unsure of the effect the outback larger tires + body lift spacers have. A legacy would probably be close to 8.5.

Might as well throw on an aluminum under tray while you are at it.

I don't think I need a lift, but I do plan on lifting, just because. I think the most snow I'll encounter would be 6 inches on the roadway. I'm thinking RalliTek overload springs on Outback struts. If I desire more once thats put together, one inch Subtle Solutions kit should do it.

The under tray idea brings up the memory of people using road signs. I do have a few so I shall mock up a skid plate from that.

Any front bumper ideas?

I did search for winter beater threads but unfortunately I just come across winter pictures, tire questions and the occasional "Hey look at my new beater" threads.

Any front bumper ideas?

Bumper beam with lights and a light bar on the roof. Kind of what I was envisioning (except replace the roof lights with a light bar)

http://articles.dashzracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Subaru-Baja-Subaru-Baja-4x4-Off-Road-Fog-Lights-Build-In-6000K-HID-system-fog-lights-bright-white.jpg

Bumper beam with lights and a light bar on the roof.

I thought about doing a roof mounted curved light bar, and then running a duplicator and having one stacked on top of another so I'd be running two. Downside I'd be drilling into the roof... Kinda a big pill to swallow.

I'd like to find a full bumper. Kinda like a ARB bumper or baja style bumper. (not the Subaru Baja)

I just ordered a 24 inch LED light bar very reasonably from Ebay ($59 free ship) if I get a year out of it I'll be fine.

I also ordered yellow fog blubs, winter floor mats, and RA universal flaps. Total was $111.32 Good cheap start.

That bumper on that Baja is what I was thinking.

I just found Primitives light bars, theres one that they're missing the picture to online, but the description sounds accurate to what I'd like. I'm e-mailing for a photo, hopefully its it.

I'd like something similar to this: http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/images/img-lighting/light%20bar%20bolt-thru%202010+%20outback%20prototype_2.jpg if I don't get a full bumper.

I would also swap on Forester Struts, and/or do strut spacers to increase your ground clearance, but I'm not sure if the struts are bigger on this generation Forester compared to the 2.5i. Anyone want to chime in?

I also drive on the poorest maintained portion of Interstate 89 (between Northfield and Randolph, VT), and would have had to stay home a couple times without my LGT, or at the very least a Subaru. This year I'm running the nimble 1998 Impreza Sport for my winter beater. picked it up with awesome new snow tires for $250, and just finished the one year rocker panel patch to get it through inspection here in VT.

Good luck with the beater fellow Vermonter.

Steve

I don't want to go anything to high as it is a long drive. 9 days out of 10 I won't be having any major road issues. I don't mind a couple MPG drop, but I can only assume lifting it a total of 3+ inches would completely murder my MPGs.

My commute is from Lyndonville to Newport. Over Sheffield Heights, no cell phone coverage, you might see one or two Quebec truckers slowly making their way up the mountain other than that nothing. Its quite a hike up the hill.

The Legacy will easily go over 6" of snow at stock height. If you want just slightly more clearance, but don't want to swap out the suspension just yet, pick up 3/4" or 1" spacers + extended studs. Really, as long as you have a good set of winter tires, you're golden. Yellow fogs + RA flaps are always classic additions.

Also consider a skid plate (Primitive) w/o any access holes and retrofitting your headlights (TRS) for improved visibility. If you don't want to drill into your roof, fab/purchase a light bar, or otherwise reduce your MPG, additional driving lights can be mounted behind your grill (check out Bucko3the7man, JermTheElf, .NetSubie, and my profiles) and in the lower grill (although 24" might be too long). Lights can be tapped into your highs, or you can run switches into the cabin.

The Legacy will easily go over 6" of snow at stock height. If you want just slightly more clearance, but don't want to swap out the suspension just yet, pick up 3/4" or 1" spacers + extended studs. Really, as long as you have a good set of winter tires, you're golden. Yellow fogs + RA flaps are always classic additions.

Also consider a skid plate (Primitive) w/o any access holes and retrofitting your headlights (TRS) for improved visibility. If you don't want to drill into your roof, fab/purchase a light bar, or otherwise reduce your MPG, additional driving lights can be mounted behind your grill (check out Bucko3the7man, JermTheElf, .NetSubie, and my profiles) and in the lower grill (although 24" might be too long). Lights can be tapped into your highs, or you can run switches into the cabin.

He's up in VT's NEK, 6+" of snow is commonplace during the winter, sometimes over a foot per snow storm. I drove up there in my OBS and had snow coming over my hood on US Route 2. I would lift it 3", as your MPG won't be affected by that much, maybe 1 or 2 MPG. Compare your MPG to that of the Forester. Split the difference, and that should be where you will come in MPG wise riding Forester height.

Yeah, I figured a lot of snow accumulation would be the case (I drive up to Jay/Smugglers/Sugar almost every week during the peak snowboard season). Since he specified that "I think the most snow I'll encounter would be 6 inches on the roadway," adding spacers + extended studs would be a very cheap and fast alternative.

I ordered a 1 inch spacer kit.

I haven't ever came across a snowfall that'd stop an ob. 18 inches doesn't faze them. Hopefully I can get the legacy to do the same or better.

It's basically the same system (some OBs might have a rear LSD) I think it really comes down to your tire choice.

For example, my Outback on crappy all seasons the dealer installed got stuck in slush. My friends RAV4 on dedicated snow tires was able to drive in it with just a little difficulty.

• 2 months later...
I've been hooning around and love sliding the car. Is there a way to be able to place the car in first gear at almost any speed? (45-50 ideally) as there is this one corner near my house where I approch it at 47 ish Ebrake till about 45 degrees and then drop the Ebrake and slide into 1st then throttle out. I'd like to be able to shift into first then Ebrake then release the clutch and throttle out. I know the grinding it does is a safety precaution not to throw it into first instead of 3rd but I'd like to disable it. When I mean throwing it into 1st at higher speed I mean without having the clutch engaged. p.s my new girlfriend drives a LGT stick! I think she's a keeper!

I don't think you can go into first at that speed. Pretty sure you would over rev the engine. I don't think the grinding is a saftey thing. I think it's literally the gears / syncos grinding because the speeds don't match up. It should grind in any gear.

You can shift without the clutch by rev matching and pushing the stick into gear. It will grind, but it eventually pops in once the revs match up. It's terrible for your transmission though.....

Also any pictures of your car now that you have raised it?

I didn't mean over rev. I mean like put it in gear pull the Ebrake then I'd be slow enough to release the clutch and throttle out. Both my BMWs are able to do it.

I havent lifted it yet due to no snow. I'm keeping it stock height to save fuel and wear use until I'm in need. Doesn't take long to throw the spacers in. Most likely will be done in the next 2 to 3 weeks. The spacers came in about a month ago

Archived