LegacyGT.com

Clutch Safety Switch Woes

hal9e3

I'd been having issues w/ the clutch safety switch for a while so I finally replaced it. I had no problems starting the car when it was cold, but when it was warm the starter would stutter as if the switch was intermittent. Problem is, after replacing the switch I have the exact same problem! Car cold, push the clutch 1/2 way down or so, turn the key, starts every time. Car warm, push the clutch down, starter stutters on and off, move the clutch around until I find the 'sweet spot' and it finally starts. What else could be causing this problem? I'm afraid the starter stuttering is going to screw up something else, plus it seems to be getting worse and I'm worried that one day it won't start at all.

Obviously it's the wire, not the switch... yea, may be ?

Try and see if the wire that connect's to the switch is worn/loose ? Bracket is tight?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Can't imagine it's the wire, at least the wire inside the car, as it always starts when the engine is cold. Could be the connector at the other end; I just don't know. Unfortunately I'm working out of state and don't have access to many tools. I may just have to take it in. Ugh! I don't even want to think about how much that will cost:( I was told by the dealer that failing switches are not uncommon. Just my dumb luck to have a problem that aliases to a bad switch. Has anyone checked the switch operation? As near as I could tell the switch is on when the button is pressed, corresponding to clutch engaged. The switch then opens when the button is released (clutch pressed). Sound about right? I only checked my original switch; wish I'd checked the new one before install...

I would think, push clutch in to start car, switch is closed completing the start circuit.

If your still moving the clutch pedal around and the car will start, that should be the switch finally finding its happy spot.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...
What a mess! I purchased the clutch switch bypass connector available over in GB and finally installed it today. First, the switch I was futzing with before wasn't the clutch safety switch, it was the cruise control defeat switch. That would explain the fact that replacing it didn't help anything. However, installing the connector didn't fix the problem either! I'm sure it's doing what it's supposed to do as the car started fine on first test after install. However, I came out a little later to go somewhere and it was up to its old tricks. I've had all I can take with it so I'm going to let the dealer sort it out as I had to take it in for A/C problems anyway.

The switch is adjustable in the bracket, if its not adjusted right it could cause some weirdness. The switch is really quite simple and can be carefully taken apart and examined then reassembled ... Sorry I don't remember the specifics but I've had it apart and fixed it.

With the bypass connector installed the switch is not a factor - the signal path is always in the 'start enable' state. It will start w/o depressing the clutch, just not consistently. Cold - starts fine. Warm - intermittent, eventually starts. Has to be something else down the line.

Got the A/C problem fixed - the idler pulley apparently exploded! Oh, well, guess I'm lucky it didn't take anything else out. The switch problem was NPF at the dealer and now I think I know why - it looks like the ignition switch is starting to go. How hard a job is that?

Archived