LegacyGT.com

Help with coolant flush

Hello, purchased the prestone coolant flush kit and need to know which of the two hoses that come out of the firewall are which? I can't see where they go under it all. Is the one on top coming out the firewall going to the block or the pump? I need the one that goes to the block not the pump. Thanks

Prime,

I've always been on the fence about this. I only put distilled water in my leggy, so I've always wondered about flushing. Even though I have good/soft water where I live, I've never put any in the car. I change my coolant every 25k. I use conditioner every other change.

My core looks new (inside) no calcification or mineral deposits that I can see. Obviously what I can see is limited, but I have a '52 chevy and have changed enough radiators/water pumps/thermostats in my life to know when a cooling system is shot. Based on my maintenance, I doubt I will every need to flush my system. I might do it if I was installing a new radiator, but this would depend on what came out first. Are you worried about your system, heater core, etc?

I flushed it with hose water, however I used a radiator flush chemical then I use low pressure air to get most if not all of the water out of the system. I then used coolant and purified water. I've done this before, and should be good. Thanks for your info. I just like to flush it to be sure. I did have some junk coming out of the expansion tank, but didn't see any coming out of the radiator or coolant fill location.

I never liked the chemicals either. If they will scrub the water passages they are scrubbing the hell out of the radiator and hoses. I do an annual change with distilled water and Subaru anti-freeze.I had been using conditioner but I'm told the heat of a turbo will make that goo clog up the works.

FWIW, any name brand aftermarket coolant like Prestone or Peak works fine too.

I just put some Peak and Prestone that I had in the shed, that was mixed 50/50 in my new engine and topped it off with Peak Global pre-mix.

When I did the timing belt years ago I just topped it off Prestone that I mixed 50/50. During my tear down, all the hoses were clean.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

We do a drain and fill for our customers on 30k intervals. At the timing belt time we also drain and fill when we do the t stat. I am not a fan of chemicals or tap water going in these motors. The conditioner can coke up the turbo coolant lines as well.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.2971 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 1 year later...
dead thread revival, but does anyone here who has a chemistry or engineering background know if distilled water is really the right thing to use? i've heard in the past that distilled water lacks standard minerals that H2O seeks to bind with, and that having these minerals out of the water will mean that using water missing these minerals will cause the water to leech out the minerals from whatever container it's in (ie - the motor) through standard osmosis. is there truth to this? i've been told to use spring or hose water for this reason.

Your talking about De-Ironized water. That's what we make here at work for use in our O2 Generator.

If you drink our water it will pull the minerals out of your body.

Distilled water is different. It's ok to use.

I just use tap water when I make up the 50/50 mix, or buy Peak Global pre-mix, it's only like $14.00.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Ugh...so the secret sauce conditioner is not really a good idea ?

I know it reacts with oxygen or something, but wasn't thinking

about what the heat of the turbo would make it do.

I'll have to start using it only every other drain/refill as well.

Have never used the conditioner.

Just use Peak Global, read up on it. That and old prestone have been in my wagon for a long time.

The radiator looks great on the inside.

I just replaced both radiator caps before last winter. I figured 2004 to 2012 was long enough for them.

Archived