LegacyGT.com

FAQ: Subaru Legacy 2.5i

Hi,

Can the top hats on the '07 2.5i struts be used with the struts of an '07 LGT Spec.B?

Apparently the Spec.B top hats are different and do not allow aftermarket springs to reach there full specified lowered height. For example Rallitek springs are 1.1" lowered springs on a GT and 2.5i but on a Spec.B they only lower the car by 0.9" as per the rallitek website:

http://www.rallitek.com/RalliTEK-Sport-Springs-Legacy-GTSpec-B-2005-2009/p-4271

I want to use my top hats with a set of Spec.B struts that are for sale, so I can get the full 1.1" drop but I need to know if the tops hats from the 2.5i fit the Spec.B struts.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi N.Sane.

Thanks for that.

Do you know why there not interchangeable?

Will the STI Group N top hats fit on the 2.5i struts?

Yes, that works. A few people have done that already with their LGT struts with Koni inserts, which are the same as the 2.5i struts (there are rumors the 2.5i struts are valved a little softer, but the overall design and measurements are the same). You just need spacers to make it work.

That's the route Im taking. I already have the Koni's sitting under my bed, and the Group N top hats sitting in my closet with the spacers.

Yes, that works. A few people have done that already with their LGT struts with Koni inserts, which are the same as the 2.5i struts (there are rumors the 2.5i struts are valved a little softer, but the overall design and measurements are the same). You just need spacers to make it work.

That's the route Im taking. I already have the Koni's sitting under my bed, and the Group N top hats sitting in my closet with the spacers.

Thanks again N.sane

But do you know specifically why the Spec.B top hats will not fit on the 2.5i struts?

• 4 weeks later...

So now that definitions for some more of our 2.5i's are out, Hopefully people will start building up their engines a little bit, and getting tuned.

I'm wondering, some of the parts needed for the AVO turbo install are bigger injectors and fuelpump.

I'd assume that if we got bigger injectors and fuel pump, we would see some kind of improvement, with just the stock engine? It would mean we could start gathering some parts, and actually put them to some use before we end up with the full kit.

I know we would probably need a tune if we added these injectors and pump, but I'm planning to get one soon anyways, so a retune isn't anything too crazy.

Would these additions be something worthwhile with our stock 2.5i engine, or would the gains be minimal?

• 1 month later...

For Katalyst & NSane -

I stopped by a local subie speed shop here in Tampa, FL. Tuner mechanic said he could get me 300hp at the wheels by doing the following: swapping out pistons w/STI pistons, new cams, STI intercooler, cold-air intake and possibly an STI manifold (if needed). All of this while keeping the original engine block and stock parts. Of course, he would re-tune the ECM along with this. My question to you guys.....I was wondering if you guys heard of anyone doing this? According the mechanic, the STI pistons will fit in the block (he would port out the heads). Your thoughts??

i don't doubt that with a lot of monetary and time investment that sort of powerplant could be build with the current block. the tuner/shop would really have their work cut out for them and there would probably be a long period of teething issues to sort that engine out with the myriad of changes occurring.

the biggest issue however though, is even if you could build a defacto sti engine swapping all parts in, the transmission you have isn't rated for that kind of power output, so.......you'd probably be looking at swapping in the sti trans too, so you might as well just grab the entire drivetrain from an sti and put it into the shell of the legacy, probably save you a ton of headache with the turbo, pistons and troubleshooting a new engine etc.

i mean if you're willing to go that far, you'd be way better off selling the 2.5i and purchasing a legacy spec b, already having the STi trans from the factory and then just go stage 2 off that. save you an incredible amount of headache and money.

essentially, you're starting with the incorrect foundation/platform if 300+whp is where you want to go with your mod direction.

if turbocharging is still something your interested in for modest gains, i'd definitely suggest checking out paul hansen's turbo install on the avo outback, the link is on the sticky under the power section, otherwise it's prob not too far down on the first page of the normally aspirated section.

Edited by katalyst

Adding to what katalyst already said, even if you go that route you'll just be a guinea pig for something that will cost you some internal organs on the black market. To reach 300AWHP you gotta be running at least 10+psi of boost, which is not recommended for our high compression engines.

The AVO turbo kit has actual R&D put into it and proven to be reliable on Impreza 2.5RS' and older Legacy models. It will give you around 200AWHP (~260 flywheel HP if we assume 30% drivetrain loss)

+1 for selling your 2.5i for an LGT if you want more power than that. This car is meant to be a reliable daily driver, not a platform for boosting.

The plus side is we can mod it to handle like the LGT. The best bang for your buck on this car is towards the suspension and that's where I'm spending mine.

Thanks Gents!! I appreciate your thoughts on the matter...and I guess I didnt consider all the factors you stated above. I think I'll stick with what is "tried & true". Possibly an AVO turbo....but, most definately the sway bar upgrade. :icon_bigg

I'd assume that if we got bigger injectors and fuel pump, we would see some kind of improvement, with just the stock engine? It would mean we could start gathering some parts, and actually put them to some use before we end up with the full kit.

Would these additions be something worthwhile with our stock 2.5i engine, or would the gains be minimal?

On a stock engine, the gains would be minimal. I doubt you'd see any at all that were not 100% from the tune itself. You would only see gains if the stock engine was running out of fuel for any reason, and it's not, not in stock format. The reason you need the turbo fuel pump and the 440cc injectors with our kit is fairly simple - you are basically doubling the whp!

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

On a stock engine, the gains would be minimal. I doubt you'd see any at all that were not 100% from the tune itself. You would only see gains if the stock engine was running out of fuel for any reason, and it's not, not in stock format. The reason you need the turbo fuel pump and the 440cc injectors with our kit is fairly simple - you are basically doubling the whp!

Regards,

Paul Hansen

Gotcha, just wanted to see if we started gathering parts if we would be able to use any of them before the actual install, if for any minimal gains. I guess it is best to just do it all at once.

The intake though I guess would bring some more hp? along with a tune that is.

Edited by sulk

With a tune, the intake will return some benefits. Tuning an n/a will never have as large of a return as on a turbo, but their will be some gains. And I noticed I felt them more, probably because 2-5whp gained is more noticeable on a 104whp car than a 200+ whp car.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I have a 2009 legacy 2.5i and I was wondering if anyone had any information about CAI kits for my car model. I have done some research but have not been very successful. I really would like to install an intake in my car but don't know what model parts are best to use or if its even worth it. If anyone has any information/suggestions/links to share I would greatly appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, for those of you who've installed ebay uels, did you use the supplied gaskets? Any leaks or issues with them?

Dunno how good they are, I'm thinking of getting oem ones instead of using the ebay ones.

My ebay gaskets eventually leaked/blew out in spots... possibly b/c header bolts backed off somewhat. Regardless, they're not that great.

I highly recommend the Grimmspeed gaskets. That's what I'm using now. Better than OE too.

• 1 month later...

Hi Legacy owners,

New member here just have a little question with my legacy.

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i, I have 181000 miles on it but does any one have the same problem with their driver side power window not working? I replaced the main power window switch and that didn't solve the problem. Now im thinking its probably the motor thats bad but Im not sure how to diagnose the problem. Im also thinking that maybe its an electrical problem. Please help if theres any advise on how to diagnose this problem. Thanks.