LegacyGT.com

Headlights Don't Work In Cold Weather?

Weird one...

In Winnipeg it's been freezing the last few days. Last night it was -26, with a low of -30. I went out and noticed while driving I had almost no light so, when I got to where i was going I got out and noticed that only my Fog Lights were working. No headlights, No Side Amber's.

When I bumped the right light with my fist, the side Amber ( Orange ) light came on but still, no headlights. High beams work...but that's it. Any idea what the deal is? Going to get it checked out tomorrow at Subaru as it's still under warranty but, just figured I'd double check and see if anyone else experienced a similar issue?

2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i W/ Convenience Package.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/Jhendrix70_/image1_2.jpg

I had a problem with my headlights shortly after I got my car. My situation was a bit different, as the lightbulbs worked, but something was wrong when turning them on, as some lights would turn on when they were supposed to, and others either being on or off when they weren't supposed to. It was pretty strange.

I was simply told it was an electrical problem and they had to wait for overnight parts. But the dealership fixed it right up.

It sounds like the headlight relay may be getting stuck due to the cold and or moisture. Depending on where this is located ( I think in the fuse holder under the hood) this should be an easy fix. Hopefully the relay isn't more than $40

Please let us know

Sometimes all you have to do is jiggle the handle, or electrical terminals in this case. Remove and re-insert relays and fuses associated with the lamps. There's a layout map on the underside of the PDC cover, along with a fuse-puller tool and spare fuses. There are things you can do before going to the shop. Did you RTFM? More information is available in your owners manual.

We have a 2010 Legacy Premium purchased as a CPO with 7500 miles in Feb 2011. Over the 5 years of ownership, this car has had numerous headlight Out issues. Replaced bulbs, side marker bulbs a number of times. Probably a new model Gremlin. The 2010 was a "new Model".

Archived