LegacyGT.com

STOCK SPRING RATES: spec b vs Legacy NA vs GT

Impatient

I swear I've exhausted my search attempts on this:

3 part question regarding different stock springs:

1) Does it make sense that Spec B springs should use much thinner wire than OB & Legacy NA springs? I've acquired used USDM Spec B springs and Legacy NA Wagon springs, and I've got my original OBXT springs. Of course, it's possible these are not as they were described by the sellers. Here is what I've seen (measured):

.........................Front................ Rear

.........................wire......winds.....wire.......winds

OBXT: ...............14.3mm. 4.5 ..... 13.2mm. 8.125

Legacy Wagon.. 13.5mm. 4.125 . 13.2mm.. 7.6

Spec B.............. 12.9mm.. 4.5..... 11.8mm.. 6.625

OB NA ...............14.0...... 4.25.... 13.2mm.. 8.125

Is there any chance the Spec B's use some different material, that is actually stiffer (even if thinner), or is it possbile the Spec B springs are softer? They certainly are lighter.

2) These are destined for my OBXT. I have Bilsteins, more or less with OB-height perches. Not really trying to slam, but would be OK with up to 1" drop. I can adjust rear perch height (1.5 inch, so the spec B rears might work) Is there some reason Bilsteins should have softer springs (a la Spec B springs) than even a stock Legacy? I keep procrastinating on the fronts because I won't know static ride height until I actually do the actual install (which works OK I guess, and is well-aligned, etc).

I'm thinking of the Spec B front springs (if these really are Spec B's), pending any replies to this post. 2nd choice is the Legacy springs. I actually think using the OBXT springs will result in a minor lift, which I don't want. These Bilsteins apparently use normal USDM tophats, not spec B or JDM, so I'm not sure if that lift would actually occur.

3) On the rear, I am undecided: I had the OBXT rear springs with the rear Bilsteins installed for awhile: better than KYB's but not perfect by any stretch: more rebound control but not enough. If the front ends up dropping a bit once I install the Bilsteins, then I might use either the Legacy springs or the Spec B's. Of course the spec B's aren't really for a wagon. Any thoughts?

Want comfortable, controlled, non-nervous, stable DD set-up. I'm Ok with current handling responsiveness, but not the stability nor comfort. I know this will never ride like a Mercedes S class, but better ride with no loss in handling is my goal. (handling already enhanced by Cobb rear bar and KYB 04 rear shocks / KYB 05 fronts)

bump. Does anyone have any comparison comments on SpecB springs vs GT? Or vs base Legacy? Again, I don't understand why Spec B springs would use thinner wire than base...or maybe thinner than GT too. Or are these not really spec B springs that I have?

Well I don't know answers to all your questions, but if I have time tonight I'll put some calipers on my recently removed spec.B springs. My thought is the spring rates could vary like to that degree, as they are the only OEM springs paired with Bilsteins out of the 4 you are comparing. I know for a fact mine are factory, so I'll measure to see if what you have is what you think you have.

Not sure but I thought to install Bilsteins from a spec.B or Bilstein HDs, that you would need to run the top hats found in the spec.B. I'll defer to someone more experienced than I on that tidbit.

• 9 months later...

Archived