LegacyGT.com

EVO tires is it worth it?

black pearl

Ok my brother/inlaw just sold his 2009 EVO well he still has the stock tires(Yokohama ADVAN A13C)that he said I can have. They only have about 1500 miles on them I did the reqired searching on here and I know this isnt the optimal size(245/40/18). But I was plaining on moving up to 18s this summer anyway. these bad boys go for 300+ on tirerack. I am curently stock suspetion what will I have to do to make these tires work. Is the money I save on the tires going to be justifyed by the cost of making them fit.

I wouldnt mind some drop but nothing crazy. Not a big of fender rolling. Can it be done?

thanks

jacob

245/40/18 is a taller tire than factory (almost a full inch taller) but that isnt much of a problem. It is a good size, but in order to run them you will probably need an 8 1/2" or wider wheel, although some will argue you can fit them on 8" wide. Depending on the offset and width of the wheels you buy you may need fender rolling if you plan on lowering the car, it will depend on the springs too.

Right now, you dont really need to do anything to MAKE them fit, they should sit nicely.

You can definitely fit them on an 8-inch wheel, but to get the full contact patch you need an 8.5-inch wheel. I believe 8.5-inch wheels are tougher to fit on the Legacy's, require fender rolling and such.

If he's giving you the tires, definitely take them. They are great tires, although expensive for what they are. You might just sell them and use the money for your own rims & tires ;)

Rememeber WHAT type of tires they are too. And whether or not you'd prefer to sell them for $150-200 a pop to the evo crowd.

With those tires, your car will have ridiculous levels of grip and braking. It will also be much stiffer feeling, you'll hear tons of rocks and pebbles kicking up under your car, and you'll get ~15k miles out of them (IMHO).

I'm just getting soft though and don't need the ultimate performance anymore :)

I second Joe's point. I run 235/40-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R tires and the grip is UNBELIEVABLE. Even on a stock suspension, you will push the limits of the tires just by driving spiritedly on all seasons or low-end summer tires. With these tires on my stock suspension, it is definitely the suspension holding the tires back. You can break them loose by driving stupidly, but if you follow a good line and know how to put the car into corners, the grip is absurd.

To continue Joe's points, these tires are LOUD. You will feel every imperfection in the road, not necessarily kidney punishing, but you do feel it.

A buddy of mine had an Evo VIII with the similar OEM Yokohama tires and for a while he stuck with them. Performance was great, but they follow the curve of the road a lot (i.e. pull against the steering wheel a bit based on road imperfections & grade) and I don't think he ever broke 15K miles on them (closer to 10K). He switched to the RE-01R's (and now RE-11's) and got very similar performance, longer tread life (closer to 20K IIRC) and less road following.

The moral of the story is they are great tires, especially for free, but have their con's. Also, if you get them it will be very hard to go back to lesser tires when these wear out ;)

The moral of the story is they are great tires, especially for free, but have their con's. Also, if you get them it will be very hard to go back to lesser tires when these wear out ;)

done with my best Yoda voice "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice!"

Anyway thanks for the info guys it offers some insight. I had thought of selling them but if I did I would have to give my Brother some of the cut.

if I went with a 8.5 wide rim at stock ride hight would I still need fender rolling?

Archived