LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

^^^ That would be FANTASTIC.

I would be all over that... Do you want to PM me how much you would want to put that together for me? If you are interested, I would be willing to just pay you up front for the springs, donors, konis, shipping and of course your time...

EDIT: To answer your question, no I wouldn't do the install. I don't have a spring compressor and I am not comfortable doing it. I'd take it to a shop. I could probably do the rears myself.

FYI...

I may sell my bilstein/RCE black combo to replace with fortune 500...let me know if you're interested

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Finally got my 22mm RSB, and fortune 500's installed. Handles like a dream even with the coils at the softest settings and the RSB at medium stiffness.

How do you like the fortune 500? Swift spring upgrade?

They're awesome, only had them on for about 50 miles. Definitely stiffer but not too jarring. Lowered the car quite a bit, just waiting to take it out this weekend and throw it into some corners to see how it really handles. So far no binding or popping either.

Hey btran1384, how much of a drop did you get with your bilstein/RCE black combo? I've been researching for something that doesn't drop too much, but increases the stiffness/handling.

0.8" from page 1

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-5th-generation-suspension-thread-163275.html

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

In reference to Koni inserts, I found an interesting post on the wrxforums.com forum. I'm not sure if this has been covered so if it has, please disregard.

Here is the link to the website....

http://www.wrxforums.com/forums/13-subaru-wrx-suspension/13981-clarification-koni.html

In the article, it mentions that the 08+ WRX inserts (8610-1453S) are physically identical to the 05-09 LGT inserts (8610-1447S) with the difference being valving.

What I am wondering is....

1. Has anyone tried this?

2. Would getting the ones made for an LGT vs WRX be more suitable for ride quality on our heavier 5th gens?

Chris, here is the reason why I wouldn't use the 05-09 Legacy front inserts and would stick with the 08-14 WRX units front and rear. This is kind of an extrapolated line of logic, but I think others will agree that it will probably hold true, and short of testing them side by side, it would be hard for the lay person to ever tell the difference or know the benefits or disadvantages. In other words, keep with the 4 shocks that were designed to be matched to a platform.

If you look at the spring rates of lowering springs and coilover setup offerings from many companies, RCE, Megan, BC, Tein, Swift, etc, you will see that typically the spring rates for the 5th Gen Legacy tend to be the same, or very similar all the way around the car, and if different, biased ever so slightly stiffer for the front. For example: 8k front/8k rear, or 7k/6k. If you look at these for the 08+ WRX, you will find the same thing, either the same front and rear, or slightly biased stiffer to the front. For example: 8k front/8k rear or 10k/9k. In the case of the 4th Gen Legacy, these same companies typically spec spring rates that are bias 2 steps stiffer to the rear. For example 6k front/8k rear.

Even though there is a range of spring rates that the Koni's can handle, deviating from the mid range of the valving too much may produce unexpected results or reduced range of ideal damping adjustment.

It looks like the issue that was being discussed in the thread you linked to is something that Koni has addressed and it was several years ago at this point. Chances are that you will not have an issue with the WRX units.

I would stick with 4 shocks that were designed to a specific platform, like the WRX. Keep in mind that even though the front suspension geometry of the 4th Gen is similar to ours, the rears suspension is a completely different design, and as such, the dynamics of what is happening with suspension travel, chassis roll, and weight transfer is significantly different than our cars when you consider the chassis as a whole. Our setup and weight distribution from front to rear is much closer to the 08+ WRX (in fact almost identical) than the 4th Gen Leggy.

Edited by GTEASER

Thanks Joe, that's exactly the response I was looking for! I'm not worried about the issues Koni was having with the WRX fronts since, as you said, it was a few years ago and I'm sure that's a problem of the past. I was more curious about if the LGT inserts were better suited to our cars. I'll stick with the WRX setup.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Quick dumb question for all the guys that have the bilstein struts...the circlip for the rear strut....did it come pre-installed on the strut or was it a separate bag....

My rear left is lowest corner causing a rub on new wheel n tire combo.

Also which level do u have the rears...highest? (I'm assuming +10mm).

Thanks

Well written response Gteaser. I just wish I could snap my fingers and have the perfect ride height and damper level without having to run down parts for 3 different cars. I have an edited pic of my car exactly how I want the wheel gap. :wub: looks so nice.

10003684_10152338364230841_6104643561309226643_o.thumb.jpg.81f9630ad8d04bdaeaa45266945336b2.jpg

I hate my suspension. It creaks, groans, pops and rattles. The car sounds like somebody is hitting the outside of a coffee can when traveling at low speed. The car sometimes, pops when turning, and I know it's not CV joint noise.

The car is bouncing around due to worn struts. I'm ready to replace the whole damned suspension.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how much suspension travel our cars have in the front, in particular with blacks/bilsteins? I have scrapped my skid plate in the road a few times now in places that seem like I shouldn't. Wondering if I have less clearance under the skid plate than I have travel, which would be bad. Edited by brandon.mol

Does anyone know how much suspension travel our cars have in the front, in particular with blacks/bilsteins? I have scrapped my skid plate in the road a few times now in places that seem like I shouldn't. Wondering if I have less clearance under the skid plate than I have travel, which would be bad.

I've done that too. The skid plate rubs on a lot of things as it sits a bit low. The intention was for a standard height legacy or an outback. I don't think it was intended for a lowered car.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Yeah. It sits lower than it needs to. Today we got a nasty blast of winter and there were chunks of snow/ice from wheel wells all over the place and when I hit them it makes a pretty loud GONG sound.

I know its doing its job but I am going to see if I can mod it for a bit more clearance. Will report back with findings.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/09/4fbc30795b27311c1212f06b65f38d7f.jpg

Edited by brandon.mol

Hi all,

I am.planning to lower an MY10 legacy GT wagon to improve the handling and get rid of boat-like feeling when cornering.

The car has a 22mm whiteline rear sway bar. I have ordered a set of H&R springs which lower 1.3".

I am going to have a whiteline caster kit fitted and get 4 wheel balance when installing springs. Do I need to do anything else when lowering like camber bolts (front? Rear?)

Thanks for any advice or help.

Rift.

Edited by realrift

Hi all,

I am.planning to lower an MY10 legacy g2g wagon to improve the handling and get rid of boat-like feeling when cornering.

The car has a 22mm whiteline rear sway bar. I have ordered a set of H&R springs which lower 1.3".

I am going to have a whiteline caster kit fitted and get 4 wheel balance when installing springs. Do I need to do anything else when lowering like camber bolts (front? Rear?)

Rift.

Not suspension related, but as discussed above a skid plate (I have the one from Primitive racing, along with the rear diff cover) is a good investment for a lowered car. Everytime I scrape on an angled driveway, or a large speedbump, or a chunk of ice/snow/rock in the road, I just smile to myself as the skid plate pays for itself! Just a great investment for peace of mind! I've lost count of the number of times I've heard it be of use, but everytime makes me thankful that I got it.

Hi all,

I am.planning to lower an MY10 legacy GT wagon to improve the handling and get rid of boat-like feeling when cornering.

Rift.

An alignment would be a good idea.