LegacyGT.com

The Unofficial 05-06 LGT 2.2k .5w Resistor UP Pipe Install CEL FIX

Welcome to the The Unofficial 05-06 LGT 2.2k .5w Resistor UP Pipe Install CEL FIX.

TOTAL COST: $2ish

TOOLS NEEDED:

$0.99 resistor

$0.99 small roll of electrical tape

Snips, scissors, nail clippers or whatever else you have around that is sharp and can cut 2 thin wires.

If you have a 05 or 06 LGT and you have a stock UP pipe you probably have a EGT sensor and a cat in your UP. Aging pieces of the cat and EGT can come loose and destroy the turbo and motor. When replacing your UP with a catless up, you will need to do away with your EGT sensor. Removing your EGT sensor will cause a naughty CRUISE/CEL. This CEL can be cleared with an AP or OS tune but why not fix it with a proper electrical fix? It is so cheap and easy.

Adding a 2.2k .5w resistor is telling the harness/computer that the sensor is operating properly by mimicing the resistance the sensor provides when operating "properly".

The stock UP EGT sensor wire comes out of the UP below the turbo heatshield. The EGT sensor wires meets the wire harness on the passenger side of the engine bay. My EGT sensor has been unplugged (below) and UP / DP replaced. The ORANGE plug is where the EGT wire plugs in. Unplug your EGT plug, exposing the orange receptacle.

http://i45.tinypic.com/ht8jcw.jpg

Take your 2.2k .5w resistor from Radio Shack $.99

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062325

http://i49.tinypic.com/r02idl.jpg

Cut about 40% of the wire off of each end of the resistor and bend the wires to make a U.

Insert them in your EGT sensor plug receptacle as seen below

http://i45.tinypic.com/igcljr.jpg

Cover it well with electrical tape to keep it dry.

PM me with any questions, pic requests or to 'splain further.

NOTE: If you have read this far and are mechanically inclined and feel the need to flame me and this walkthough, many newbs have been PM'ing me asking me how to do this. Apparently it is not well photographed and a lot of people have never touched a wiring harness.

EDIT: :iam: DO I NEED TO DO THE 2.2k Resistor UP CEL fix :iam:

If you did not know, this CEL can be turned off by a tune and is not required (Opensource, CobbAP).

When going stage 2 in an 05-06 LGT you will replace your catted UP pipe (the catted up should be replaced even in stock LGT!)

If (when) you go back-to-stock, reinstall your OEM dp and tune to trade in/resell your LGT it will save you a headache because you will not have a CEL from the sensor delete (you DID keep those OEM parts right?).

EDIT2: ...stock suspension, TMIC, oem turbo :lol: Picture is like walking back in time...

Edited by LosAngelesLGT

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I have read many people talking about the mod but this is the first time I have seen the walkthrough with pics. Luckily I figured it out myself last week but this thread would have been great. Thanks for taking the time.

• 5 months later...
FWIW, this mod seems pretty reliable. I've had it on for some time now without complaint from the car. When I was data logging I tagged it on a run and the ECU read the EGT as perfectly constant the whole time, somewhere around 1475 if I remember right. I'm guessing it (the ECU) doesn't use it for tuning, because IMO that sounds a little rich

^The resistor mimics the resistance of the sensor when operating properly.

In other words, the resistor tricks the EGT plug into sending the ECU a false "good" reading by pretending to be a properly functioning sensor. It should read absolutely steady no matter what the conditions.

• 1 month later...
Owen - this is for people who have a 05-06 LGT. The 05-06 LGT have catted uppipes with a EGT sensor. What this resistor "FIX" is for is to trick the wiring harness/computer into thinking that the EGT sensor probe is giving a proper reading. The EGT sensor can be removed once the UPPIPE has been replaced. My aftermarket uppipe has a place for the EGT sensor too. I was not planning to put the EGT sensor probe back in because I did not want a breakable sensor PRE-turbo. Seemed like a bad design to me and if I was just going to turn it off in programming anyway, why not just mechanically fool it. It is important to note that the UPPIPE is not a great place for an EGT and if you were planning on running an EGT you would not want it localed in the up (more like in the header!) Edited by LosAngelesLGT

People still ask about this? The tune fixes the CEL for you too. Wow, did not realize so many people were confused about where to stick a 20cent resistor as a back up for the tune. Maybe you should take some pix of the connector taped up too, just in case LOL.

Good job though Max. Must have received a million PM's to go through the process of taking pix and a write up.

• 1 month later...
Couldn't you just take some bathtub caulk (the latex kind) and fill up the connector and around the resistor to hold it in place. That way it would weather and heat seal it, provide some shock resistance to the resistor, and provide a way to pull it out (undo the fix) and go back to stock without compromising the female connector side or leaving any residue. Or, you could just do what max suggests and tape it all off. Either way, win!!!
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Just turn the car off, put the resistor in and turn the car on. The resistor exactly mimics a properly working sensor. If you have a CEL you did something wrong. NOTE: This is a fix for 05-06 that are removing the o2 sensor from the UP. It does not fix other cel nor should it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...