LegacyGT.com

5EAT Pride! V2

SBT

Does anyone know of any tuners that offer this service? I've never really seen anything about it on these forums. I kind of assumed 08/09's didn't have any shot at 5EAT improvements.

There's no point in searching out for the obi-wan kinobi of 5EAT mastery, plenty of tuners out there (both on and off this forum) can tune an automatic Legacy GT. I was tuned on a load-chassis dyno with the VDC disabled, it's perfect now ;)

I wasn't concerned so much with the shift speed since the pedal mostly gets mashed for 3rd gear pulls. On that note, will suggest that any overtaking or hard acceleration maneuvers should be done in manual mode. If you want to get the auto mode tuned to your liking, it might soak up a lot of money by the time you're complete with no guarantee that it will be worth it, just a thought.

Some things you can do...

Motyl gear 75-90 (Motul) for front and rear differentials.

Amsoil synthetic ATF for the gearbox. Or Motul ; )

Whiteline rear diff insert PN# KDT 927

Edited by The 2Fiver

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no point in searching out for the obi-wan kinobi of 5EAT mastery, plenty of tuners out there (both on and off this forum) can tune an automatic Legacy GT. I was tuned on a load-chassis dyno with the VDC disabled, it's perfect now ;)

Spoken like a man who has not broken a 5EAT with VDC. It was really easy to destroy mine with a 16g. :)

It was really easy to destroy mine with a 16g. :)

It was also a test mule with a valve body, injectors, fmic. The few upgraded 08/09 autos that I know of use the V3-sub-003. I would'nt have upgraded the turbo without confirmation from owners who have done the same.

Plenty of owners have blown the 5EAT with a VF52. I was pre-warned before taking the plunge (by forum members) and trying to assist in finding a way to modify the mechanical aspects of the trans. There is a reason Subaru discontinued the 5EAT in the WRX at the exact same time the WRX was blessed with the VF52.

The AP has nothing to do with it. AP, EcuTeK, OS does not matter.

Also, the test mule VB from HexMods was installed in the repaired 5EAT, not the original that blew. The original that blew had the first IPT VB in it. The IPT VB was installed prior to the turbo and FMIC upgrade. The HexMods was installed post (but the 16g was already long gone). I has suspicions about the IPT VB as it reacted poorly at the drag strip with the car in stage2 trim. It pooped the bed in 3-5 pulls with the 16g.

Plenty of owners have blown the 5EAT with a VF52

Same can be said for the VF-40

Maybe the 52 is safer at stage 2? This is what I tell myself:rolleyes: boost comes on later with the same torque as original turbo - although It's tuned to run less peak boost.

The V3 for 08/09 AT outback and legacy is the go-to for daily driven cars. People don't seem to chase big numbers on autos these days, go figure. The 5EAT tuning is geared towards race car aspirations and there is not really any tangible data/reviews on its' progress for the 08/09 USDM LGT.

Were the load values for shifting ever adjusted on the dyno/road on your car?

VDC on or off?

Edited by The 2Fiver

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone recommend me a reputable opensourse/road tuner that has experience tuning 5EATs near me? (San Francisco Bay Area) I currently have a dyno protune on my stage 3 05 and I'm looking for a tuner that can really dial in my 5EAT.

Can someone recommend me a reputable opensourse/road tuner that has experience tuning 5EATs near me? (San Francisco Bay Area) I currently have a dyno protune on my stage 3 05 and I'm looking for a tuner that can really dial in my 5EAT.

Pm me, I'm not allowed to name my tuner bc he's not an authorized vendor but he's easily one of the best 5EAT tuners on the planet

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I guess i'll chime in.

05 LGT wagon 5EAT @ 200k miles

Mishimoto TMIC, Borla catback, tranny cooler, stage 1 opensource flash, 15.2psi.

looking to go catless UP and DP with a cryotune in the near future. I'll probably stay there for a while. when the engine finally dies (read: when wife blows it up), i'll probably go built and test the limits of the 5EAT. I'd really like to hit that 350WHP mark and call it a day, but I'm not pushing more than 16psi without ARP hardware and a replacement for my very tired and worn vf40.

9f8ced7b-a6e9-4b6f-b97b-7e57feabc6fe.jpg

same_pull.jpg

Of course you know 5EAT just don't dyno right. So 246whp on Dyno Jet

235 in virtual dyno

and 290 in VD when converted using MPH

Doing 0-160 in 11 seconds (100 MPH)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyCMopTbZBs]Legacy GT 0 - 100 mph (0 to 160km/h) VF34 Meth - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by JMLegacy

• 3 weeks later...
259 @ 18-13 psi. I'd say 245 is fairly accurate for you. Keep in mind, I could possibly make 245 on the dyno you ran on. Horsepower figures can be a wash when making comparos. It could be the smaller turbo that gives you a quick launch In first or the 7000 rpm redline.

Then the 5eat really eats power as I have 19psi, 24 degree timing both at 7200 RPM, 11.4AFR running water meth injection and a VF34 with bigger billet compressor wheel. My turbo is slightly bigger than a VF52. Edited by JMLegacy

VF34 with bigger billet compressor wheel. My turbo is slightly bigger than a VF52.

Oh, assumed it was a stock turbo. Like I said it might make more (30-40whp) elsewhere on a different configuration.

Wicked fast car though. Nice work!!

I'll try to get my charts sent over to you.

Yeah the last part of the run my self made meth controller hanged, screen froze. I assumed it stopped spraying.

I have a 2.5 block to build that I could throw in her for a good competitive (drag strip) launch ... if i can spare the center diff. lol. Currently i have to charge the TQ converter for 8 whole seconds and it only builds boost that way right after a hot run. The 2.5 would be for that reason only. But then again i also have a nitrous kit i could use for that. Hmm. Maybe a build a 2.1 and use nitrous.

I just wanna run 12s...

OK hear it goes...155,000 on my 2006 sedan and just went stage 2 with cat-less up pipe...I haven't noticed anything yet as far as slippage but, Is there any precautions i should take on stock tranny to handle the increase in HP???

JMLegacy, You know you really want 11's...LOL...

OK hear it goes...155,000 on my 2006 sedan and just went stage 2 with cat-less up pipe...I haven't noticed anything yet as far as slippage but, Is there any precautions i should take on stock tranny to handle the increase in HP???

JMLegacy, You know you really want 11's...LOL...

lol. Maybe after i hit 12s, that's the normal progression of the power bug yes.

Your transmission would love a tranny tune,fresh fluid, filter change and a tranny cooler.

for example:

Capture.png

This retard value is added to the overall ignition timing during an upshift. So in my case i have -17 degrees, but at 24 degree timing this turns to 7 degrees timing (-17+24=7). You can reduce the -17 further if you want it to unload more during shifts. Some other tranny tune tricks can be applied as well.

Other than these things you will have to pull her a part and add some clutch packs.

Edited by JMLegacy

lol. Maybe after i hit 12s, that's the normal progression of the power bug yes.

Your transmission would love a tranny tune,fresh fluid, filter change and a tranny cooler.

for example:

Capture.png

This retard value is added to the overall ignition timing during an upshift. So in my case i have -17 degrees, but at 24 degree timing this turns to 7 degrees timing (-17+24=7). You can reduce the -17 further if you want it to unload more during shifts. Some other tranny tune tricks can be applied as well.

Other than these things you will have to pull her a part and add some clutch packs.

I will speak to a tuner when I go about including a tranny tune....Cooler is my next step when I install my mitsumoto rad.....fluid and filter already done...Thanks again!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
9f8ced7b-a6e9-4b6f-b97b-7e57feabc6fe.jpg

same_pull.jpg

Of course you know 5EAT just don't dyno right. So 246whp on Dyno Jet

235 in virtual dyno

and 290 in VD when converted using MPH

Doing 0-160 in 11 seconds (100 MPH)

Legacy GT 0 - 100 mph (0 to 160km/h) VF34 Meth - YouTube

Please how u raise shifting point to 7200!!

I have a 2007 jdm Legacy gt, vf48 water meth injection.

And it only shift 6950 on 3rd and 6650 on 4th manual mode

Thanks

• 6 months later...

DONT LET THIS THREAD DIE !! Call a Medic!

On another not, my 07 LGT 5eat pumped out a measly 295hp & 312tq and I'm perfectly content, but wouldn't mind some faster shift. So I'll be diving down the valve body rabbit hole instead of converting to a 5/6mt (my significant other may not agree with a $5k+ investment in a 15yo car). I live in NJ so the IPT VB seems to likely have the quickest turn around time. I'm not sure anyone out there has a core charge for it to be faster the 24hrs like IPT states.

(JR Tuned it at Prime motoring on Mustang dyno)

Edited by Blackbeard
add detail and flare