LegacyGT.com

my very specific review - Pioneer AVH-4100NEX and mp3 files

Matt A

Before buying this thing, I looked everywhere for anyone detailing the way this head unit handles playing mp3 files from an SD card or USB drive and found absolutely zero information. I know people don't really give a shit about that ability anymore but I do. Seems like HU manufacturers don't really care either. It's all about streaming these days! blargh.

Well, my first indication that it wasn't going to be great was the fact that it can only handle 15000 files and/or 1500 folders. I suppose that might be fine for many people, but I have over 550GB of music which is over 80,000 files and close to 7000 albums. I would have loved to have just got a USB drive and dumped all my music on there instead of cherry picking and constantly refreshing, but oh well. I opted instead for a 128GB SD card to make things easy.

15 years ago I had an empeg (or RioCar) and it was far, far better than anything currently on the market that plays mp3 files.

anyway, for those interested, here it is. Oh, by the way, the JDM bezel has an interior lip around the DIN opening which is interfering with the radio surround, so that's why there is no bezel on there, I need to modify it to fit.

Apologies for the blurriness of the vid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI7M3fE86cs]Pioneer AVH-4100NEX mp3 playback review - YouTube[/ame]

Sooo...

Pros(?):

Plays MP3s

Touch Screen

Not horribly slow

Cons:

when going back, goes to top of list

Can't add file to queue

Slow while indexing new sd card

and my favorite:

"I got some Ah-Bah on there." It's okay, man. Ain't no shame in bonding with your internal Dancing Queen for 3.5 minutes. And you countered with Alice in Chains. Well played.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually planning on getting this exact unit. Just waiting to get my car put back together. Although I'm not into running my personal stored music. I'd prefer to use pandora so from what I've been told it should work well.

Do you happen to have an apple phone to use the apple play capability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no iPhone, sorry. But there are plenty of video reviews of that aspect.

Are you putting in the JDM bezel? if so, be aware that it doesn't fit well around this radio. I had to really squeeze it in there and it's a bit off center. While the removable face of the stereo is stationery, it's fine, but the bezel does impede the movement of the faceplate a bit.

Archived