LegacyGT.com

Brembo swap questions

AshyLarry

I just purchased my legacy gt wagon the other day and had a few quick questions regarding the brembo front caliper swap. I did a few hours of searching already and found many useful threads.

For the fronts, what SS brake line do I need? I think I read that the fittings were different between the brembo and stock caliper. So would a SS line for an STi work or is there something out there for these swaps.

Also, if I wanted to adapt the front brembo calipers to the rear. Any idea what rotor/setup I would need for the factory e brake to still function? I know I would need different brackets, and I already have a couple friends working on them.

Thanks

Nick

Any Legacy GT specific lines will fit the Brembos up front. In the back there are two flex lines. The one that goes from the main hard line to the hard line on the trailing arm can also be the LGT specific line. The LGT specific rearmost line will work but will have a funny bend in it... Brakeswap/techna-fit makes a specific rear line for Brembo swaps on Legacies.

Why would you put front Brembos on the rear? :confused:

If you use the proper rear Brembos you will need the adapter brackets and either an adapter rotor that fits the LGT parking brake (DBA adaptor rotor), or custom parking brake shoes that fit the STi rotors (Onkleracing).

I am not using take off STi Brembos. buying cts-v calipers that are the same and having brackets made for them. They will accept the same rotor, and pads.

I dont know if I will be able to find just rear take off brembos and they are probably more expensive than the front cts-v brembos. Edit: just two rear sti calipers are over $400.

but thank you for the brake line information, sir!

Interesting. Why not use the rear CTS-V 4-pot calipers?

I own both a LGT and CTSV and while the pads may be the same for both front calipers, my guess is that it may not be as easy as just a bracket to make them work for our cars. Do keep us posted on how you make out.

Wish we could use the 14" rotors I have on my Caddy for the subies....

-mike

Interesting. Why not use the rear CTS-V 4-pot calipers?

I own both a LGT and CTSV and while the pads may be the same for both front calipers, my guess is that it may not be as easy as just a bracket to make them work for our cars. Do keep us posted on how you make out.

Wish we could use the 14" rotors I have on my Caddy for the subies....

-mike

Never thought about ctsv rears :lol:

A friend with a wrx has been working on this for a few months. So he is doing most of the work (engineering major). He said that the 5x100 sti rotors would work, pads the same, and then get a bracket made. I am hoping it is that simple. He is pretty confident that itll work.

AZP: Friend said he could not find good enough pictures of the cts-v rears to look at. Do you know the tickness of your rear cts-v rotors? And could you snap a few pics of different angles for me?

Rears probably wont be for a while after the fronts anyways.

Thanks

Nick

What are the piston diameters of the CTSv brakes?

Arent those calipers only like $114 each, or something like that?

I've also always wondered about the S60R calipers fitting. IIRC the rear rotors are the same thickness as the STi rotor.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What are the piston diameters of the CTSv brakes?

Arent those calipers only like $114 each, or something like that?

I've also always wondered about the S60R calipers fitting. IIRC the rear rotors are the same thickness as the STi rotor.

I have no clue the diameter of the piston. I could ask my friend, see if he knows, and get back to you. The calipers are not that cheap, but muuuch cheaper than the "STi" ones. Since they are almost exactly the same.

04-07 Brembo STi piston diameter - 40/46 mm, rear are 36mm

CTS-v front - 40/44 mm (09+ gets the new big Brembo 6 piston - different)

CTS-v rear - 32/28 mm (F40 style caliper - 4 piston not 2 piston like STi)

Rear CTS-v rotor is 26mm thick (20 for STi)

-Ken

What are the rotor diameters and widths, Ken?

An obvious solution to the rear rotor situation would be to use 2-piece rotor. The hat for a standard WRX, with the ring for a CTSV. It'd be expensive as get-out, but it'd do the trick just fine!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What are the rotor diameters and widths, Ken?

An obvious solution to the rear rotor situation would be to use 2-piece rotor. The hat for a standard WRX, with the ring for a CTSV. It'd be expensive as get-out, but it'd do the trick just fine!

But expensive is just the opposite of what this is hoping to be :cool: . Could also do the ctsv up front and move the stock fronts to the rear.

Fronts to the rear means you lose the parking brake. Not acceptable, in my book.

• 2 months later...
Where'd you get them for that price, and what year CTS-V?

All the 04-07 CTS-Vs use the same calipers. 4-pot front and rear w/14" rotors. I'm actually wondering if they might be too large for the smaller rotors found on the STi?

I want to get me some of the 09+ CTS-V front 6-pot calipers :)

-mike

• 3 years later...

Archived