LegacyGT.com

12V Receptacle in Legacy wagon install

legacy_y_tu

Thanks go to Radioflyer for the info here. I'm just adding the photos and part numbers.

All right , so I was feeling left out since all the Outback guys get the rear outlet and we don't so I put one in. I suppose it will also come in handy at the beach and camping ;).

Parts needed:

86711FA060 --Socket Assy.

86712FA010-- Cap

86716AG000--Ring Nut

Tools needed:

#2 Phillips

Screwdriver (To pop off clips and covers)

Remove #1,2, and 4 screws from drivers side rear panel shown in picture 2. I found it a pain to remove the entire panel so I left screw 3 in place and just peeled the panel back to acces the harness.

In picture 3 remove these 3 clips and remove floor tray.

In picture 4 remove the sill plate, but be careful I broke one removing mine as you can see pointed out in the picture.

Picture 5 shows what you'll see when you peel the panel back. Note the plug with the pink tape around it, that's not what you want. The plug is taped up and pushed in behind the taillight assembly. Pull down the plug and connect to 12v receptacle then check for power before buttoning everything back up (ignition must be on). I'm not going to tell you how to assemble the plug components themselves because honestly you should be able to figure that out. Re-assemble everything in reverse order.

Picture six shows finished plug. Enjoy. Took me maybe 45 minutes or so because I was going slow and trying to not snap anything :rolleyes:.

Brian

P.S.-the plug with the pink tape on it appeared to be the connector for the trailer hitch wiring harness. There were six connectors in the plug.

IM001005_cpy.JPG.4e283800f7c22f187e7ab7a2d9b62d32.JPG

IM001006_cpy.JPG.0ce3acdee347119ae848c315027d984e.JPG

IM001007_cpy.JPG.2d276c392a89d50f060d00688376ddf5.JPG

IM001008_cpy.JPG.d33b0c17ae237cc33dcec97177c4f88f.JPG

IM001009_cpy.JPG.7bb73efc700d5d5fa8550d4807c78620.JPG

IM001012_cpy.JPG.865432d9d84b34bca9afb468a3ec177f.JPG

Good illistration. What was the total cost?

Firedawgs: I'm not sure of the cost yet because the computer was out when I went in and they couldn't print out an invoice, but they let me take the parts anyway :D. I believe they said around 20-30$ though.

Brian

Thanks for the P/N info, the writeup and the pics.

This is something that I've wanted to do for a while. The parts come to $22.04 on 1stSubaruParts.com before shipping. I need to order a bunch of stuff so I'll just include this in my order.

Any speculation on what the "NOT" connector is for? Is this the connector for the tow bar electrical connection? Also, is there room to connect two of these or just the one?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Any speculation on what the "NOT" connector is for? Is this the connector for the tow bar electrical connection? Also, is there room to connect two of these or just the one?

SBT

Subietonic: The connector is I believe the tow hitch harness connector based on what Radioflyer told me . Also from the install writup I've read on the tow hitch they describe connecting the harness to somewhere in the cargo bay and running the cable through a grommet in the spare tire wheel well. Since this connector is situated very close to the wheel well it would be very easy to connect a harness to it and run through the wheel well so I figured that's what it was. Also I pulled the connector out and checked the pins. There were six and if I remember correctly that's how many you would need. 2 wires for each side of the car and a power and ground for a total of six. Here's a closeup picture I took of the connector.

As for connecting two 12V receptacles, I'm not sure. You know I was thinking about that after I buttoned everything back up. What is the extra hole that's plugged there for? There could possibly be another connector in there for that hole. When I peeled back the panel and looked in there did appear to be a lot of wires. Maybe if someone else pulls the entire panel they can look for more open connectors because with the panel peeled back visibility is sorely limited.

As for the wite-up; I figure it's the least I could do seeing as how I've learned so much from everyone here this was just an opportunity to give something back.

Brian

IM001010_cpy.JPG.cb6b52137366b672aa18d7f2aa8da478.JPG

Brian,

That definitely looks the the tow hitch electrical connection on my other Subes so you may have saved me some time in locating this and pointing it out, along with the other "find". I appreciate it as I'll be hooking up both very soon.

SBT

Brian,

That definitely looks the the tow hitch electrical connection on my other Subes so you may have saved me some time in locating this and pointing it out, along with the other "find". I appreciate it as I'll be hooking up both very soon.

SBT

Whhatt nooooo!! Didn't the dealer tell you the Legacy isn't supposed to have the hitch installed!!!!!!

JK :D:D

Are you planning on getting the stock hitch? If so let me know how it goes and if you could take some after pics. I'm also planning on installing the hitch at some point.

Brian

Whhatt nooooo!! Didn't the dealer tell you the Legacy isn't supposed to have the hitch installed!!!!!! JK :D:D

Are you planning on getting the stock hitch? If so let me know how it goes and if you could take some after pics. I'm also planning on installing the hitch at some point.

Brian

All the alignment spots are there and the OEM hitch bolts right up so it's going on there :) .

I'll probably transfer it to the wife's OBXT when we get that. Now just hope the Bilsteins and the Pinks don't lower it too much to make it unusable. Good protection for the backend of the car...;)

BTW - OT - did the hole just punch out when you mounted up the rear outlets or did you have to cut it away. Also, is the other hole identical to the one that you mounted in and does it have the same attributes, e.g., size, depth, spacing, etc.

Thanks,

SBT

Brian

P.S.-the plug with the pink tape on it appeared to be the connector for the trailer hitch wiring harness. There were six connectors in the plug.

Opie, can you confirm that's what the connector is for?

Nice work. Thanks for sharing the tips and pics.

BTW - OT - did the hole just punch out when you mounted up the rear outlets or did you have to cut it away. Also, is the other hole identical to the one that you mounted in and does it have the same attributes, e.g., size, depth, spacing, etc.

Thanks,

SBT

Subie: The hole was just plugged. Pull the plug and you're ready to go. I actually don't remember if the lower hole is the same size as the top one. It looked about the same. One note; there is a notch in the hole for a knub thats molded in the snap-in connector. This is there so you can only install it in the correct orientation. You'll know what I'm talking about when you look at the "Cap" piece as Subaru calls it.

Brian

Edited for spelling

Opie, can you confirm that's what the connector is for?

I would agree that it is the trailer wiring connector, the instructions for installing the hitch say it should be just about in the same place.

pLEASE tell me why you had to remove the bottom trim (where you broke the clip)? didnt seem to give access to anything? or is it necessary to enable you to peel back the cover panel in the corner.

I already have a dealer installed tow bar, all wired up, so I will try to follow the wiring back to its source. I know how to get the taillight off, but I looked into the body cavity holes under it and could not see any unconnected wiring in there...

jp

Just so I understand, your's is not on unless the key is set to "run/on" in order for the rear outlet to work?

Our Forester's rear outlet works in the accessory position and the on position. I'd be cool if it was always on so you could run a 12V electric cooler back there when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition.

SBT

OK, thanks guys, all ready for fittings to go in. Got the bottom trim off ok by gently lifting left end, getting a driver in there, and the first clip popped out. Then you can lift it some more and the last few will slide out if you move the trim to the left, as the clips slide in from the right - the last one was left in the body, just had to pry it out and slide back into the trim. As indicated above, remove the bottom screw from the tie down, top one from the little hidden cavity, and the rear of the side trim will open enough to get in there, find the plug and free it so it will reach the socket hole.Its a two pin plug, with females molded into an L shaped plastic piece, live on accessory position - Winner! My side panel had one hole with a plug in it, where the socket will go, and another position molded, but not cut out in any way. The plug was taped to other wires so it couldnt fall down where you could reach it easily, so it just needed the tape cutting and its done.

FWIW , mine is a RHD, with a dealer fitted tow bar, and the wiring for the trailer connector comes out of the RHS rear trim area, so dont go looking for it on the left if you have a RHD!

Not sure if I will put a std plug in there - I prefer those with a more positive connection as I used on my 4x4s for more reliable connections.

jp

FWIW , mine is a RHD, with a dealer fitted tow bar, and the wiring for the trailer connector comes out of the RHS rear trim area, so dont go looking for it on the left if you have a RHD!

That would make sense that the wiring harness would come back to the back end of the car on the side that the steering wheel, fuse box, controls, etc. are located.

So the JDM, EDM, ADM/NZDM and other RHD countries would have their plugs on the right. USDM would be on the left.

SBT

Jonny - No wiring beyond plugging the Molex in. 95% pulling the car apart and 5% installing the socket. I did mine and have never used it. Nice to know I have it though.

-Dan

Archived