LegacyGT.com

Dash board rattle and DR side window rattle

Should I have the dealer take apart both the dash and the dr side door to fix the rattles? Or should I do it myself? I have found that dealers are notorious for fixing one thing and braking another in these cases.

Comments on your personal experiences would be greatly appreciated:iam:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I've tried to have them fix it, but without getting much out of them. They tried to call me crazy saying that 4 people drove the car and heard nothing. Last time i was there, my car came out with a 9.9 avg mileage, so no wonder they can't hear anything if they are driving the hell out of it. I'm just starting to live with it. :(

My dash is quiet so far, but my front passenger door is rattling like crazy on colder mornings. I press on the top of the door (the black part) and it stops immediately. Let go, it starts rattling. Dealer says no TSB, no fix.

I have opened the door, and don't see any way to get the door panel off. Not that I would know what to do if I did get it off. Apparently it is held on by clips, but I have looks on top, behind, in front, and below, don't see any clips to press to release the door panel.

I am hoping there is a TSB soon with an actual fix.

• 4 weeks later...
I have discovered that the rattle only occurs when the window is up. If I lower the window, just like one centimeter, the rattle stops. Seriously, lowered so little that no water comes in still, and the rattle stops. Does this mean its window related, or door panel related still?

I have discovered that the rattle only occurs when the window is up. If I lower the window, just like one centimeter, the rattle stops. Seriously, lowered so little that no water comes in still, and the rattle stops. Does this mean its window related, or door panel related still?

I am the only one with this issue? Figures!

Do you think, because this board is geared more towards GT owners, I should try a non GT board? What board would that be?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Have the dealer check the window stop. If the window stop nut is loose it will cause the rattle you describe.

Thanks for the advice. Can you explain to me what the window stop is, and where its located?

Thanks!

Should I have the dealer take apart both the dash and the dr side door to fix the rattles? Or should I do it myself? I have found that dealers are notorious for fixing one thing and braking another in these cases.

Comments on your personal experiences would be greatly appreciated:iam:

It's not the "fixing one thing and breaking another" that particularly worries me (although, to tell the truth, of course it does!), but rather, that for something like this, as TomasTX cited, the dealership will often say "unable to replicate" and try to pass-on the buck, or, as 06LGT mentioned - "no TSB, no fix!" :(

I can't help you much on the window stuff, but here's a couple of helpful threads on the dash rattle, if you're inclined to tackle it yourself. Read through each thread complete, as there's a couple of different home-brew (as well as dealership troubleshoot) methods detailed:

http://legacygt.com/forums/interior-audio/10794-fixed-stupid-dash-rattle.html?highlight=fix+dash+rattle

http://legacygt.com/forums/warranty-issues-problems/36395-dash-rattle-can-fixed.html?highlight=fix+dash+rattle

Best of luck! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I have this same issue with my '06. The dealer doesn't seem to be able to fix it. I too have thought about removing the door panel but am not sure where to start at.

my dealer did remove both door panels. didn't make a difference at all.

i work at a subaru dealer, i also have the rattle which actually gotten worse in the last month, left front dash near my reg and inspection sticker, i can actually duplicate the noise with my hand pushing down on the dash...i've thought about fxing it myself but don't really care to start taking it apart

my dealership is always way to busy for me to have them do that =(

but to answer the above question about a non gt forum...mine is a gt and i have the noise

Thanks for the diagram and the link. I was a bit intimidated by the power accesories in the door but it looks a lot simpler than I imagined. I'll bring up the door stop issue when I take it in for routine maintence here soon. If they still don't get it than I'll give it a crack myself.

i work at a subaru dealer, i also have the rattle which actually gotten worse in the last month, left front dash near my reg and inspection sticker, i can actually duplicate the noise with my hand pushing down on the dash...i've thought about fxing it myself but don't really care to start taking it apart

my dealership is always way to busy for me to have them do that =(

but to answer the above question about a non gt forum...mine is a gt and i have the noise

I have this too. Any official DEALER fix for this? (I have tried my own methods w/o complete success). Are dealers amenable to replacing the dash?

I hope the picture helps you find where the stop is.

[ATTACH]20460[/ATTACH]

Thanks. But what am I looking at? Is that INSIDE the door, behind the door panel?

Thanks again.

I see that C&D's long term test had a broken window reg. Wonder if these noises are result of weak regs?

• 3 years later...

:spin:

Wow, I was excited to see that someone else has the exact same problem. Then I realized that this was in 2006. Hopefully you found a way to fix this.

I can echo the "can't replicate" and "no tsb=no problem" attitude by our dealers in DFW. Hopefully this experience will be different.

• 3 weeks later...

I took it to the dealer and the technician decided that it was the glass stabilizers in the rear passenger side door and adjusted them.

As so often seems to be the case with my car, if you fix one thing, you find another. I now have almost the same creaking from that location, which I narrowed down to the top-left corner of the door panel. Pushing on it while it creaks stops the noise. So I took it off and spray-glued ensolite on the inside of the panel. Somehow, this has not fixed the problem.

I am taking it back to the dealer. Hopefully, it will make the noise when I drive it with the technician. My guess is that the channel of the interior door panel that slips over the metal part of the door is the culprit.

I love the car, but the various noises drive me crazy. :spin:

• 4 years later...

Archived