LegacyGT.com

How many keys are on your ring?

I have been hearing/reading a lot lately about how you should only use one key in the ignition when driving your car. I have a key ring with a lot of keys on it for work, house, etc... that I assumed were no big deal to have on there, but apparently having that extra weight can damage your ignition :eek:. Just wondering how many of you out there already knew of this and have already seperated you car key from the others, or if it's news to you like it was to me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 car key, 1 outside door key, and 1 inside door key. All on an imitation aluminum carabiner that I've had since I was 16.:lol: And that damage comes over time from the extra weight of about 30 or 40 keys dragging down on the tumbler in the column. Granted, it takes quite a bit of weight and time but eventually it takes it's toll. Get into an older car that's had a lot of keys hanging on it and put the ignition key in. It'll probably flop around pretty badly.

Mind you the odds of me getting car-jacked are slim....im 6ft3, 275lbs and i drive a wagon that looks like im part of the mafia.

Way off topic here but this reminds me of last christmas in florida, my wife and 2 kids went out for a walk with the dogs at the local park.....she likes to keep fit or something....anywho it was like 10pm, and my son turns up at the door out of breath like 15mins after they've left. Turns out that whilst walking around the park my wife got yelled at by 2 kids in a 3.2 Acura TL, she ignored them and carried on walking, the kids(when i say kids, like 21-22) followed them in the car. They were asking her if she wanted to buy some gear...and wouldn't leave her alone, so she sent my eldest back to get me. We got in the wagon and drove on upto the park, they had parked up and were clearly watching my wife. I stopped behind them (with a few revs) to get their attention and drove off with them in pursuit. They followed me around town for about an hour until i got bored and disappeared off into the distance. Considering i could have been anybody....rival drug dealer or anything they were kinda dumb to follow me for that long. Wifey was really shaken up though, son wanted to get out n fight, but he's not used to the american gun culture. So theres a little story i have, dont know why this reminded me of it.....

I decided to make myself a single unit so I had nothing hanging from my key:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60204&d=1227478976

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? :lol:

oh, and all i have is my fob, key, and one half to a quick release whose other half is on a keyring with all my other keys.

Mind you the odds of me getting car-jacked are slim....im 6ft3, 275lbs and i drive a wagon that looks like im part of the mafia.

Way off topic here but this reminds me of last christmas in florida, my wife and 2 kids went out for a walk with the dogs at the local park.....she likes to keep fit or something....anywho it was like 10pm, and my son turns up at the door out of breath like 15mins after they've left. Turns out that whilst walking around the park my wife got yelled at by 2 kids in a 3.2 Acura TL, she ignored them and carried on walking, the kids(when i say kids, like 21-22) followed them in the car. They were asking her if she wanted to buy some gear...and wouldn't leave her alone, so she sent my eldest back to get me. We got in the wagon and drove on upto the park, they had parked up and were clearly watching my wife. I stopped behind them (with a few revs) to get their attention and drove off with them in pursuit. They followed me around town for about an hour until i got bored and disappeared off into the distance. Considering i could have been anybody....rival drug dealer or anything they were kinda dumb to follow me for that long. Wifey was really shaken up though, son wanted to get out n fight, but he's not used to the american gun culture. So theres a little story i have, dont know why this reminded me of it.....

Being an obvious big guy, you should have just stepped out of the car with a baseball bat in hand and seen what happened.:lol:

Hey Doc, did you move the chip from the key to the fob? If no, good luck starting the car

Yeah, took a while to get it in the right place, they're pretty sensitive to location/position.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?

:lol: I know, it's ghetto, but I like having 1 piece instead of 2 :lol:

Archived