LegacyGT.com

The COMPLETE beginner's guide to e-tuning (with a vendor and VAG-COM cable)

Adoniram

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear I downloaded that exact thing but it didn't have logger in it..no matter! You saved the day. Thanks soooooo much. The tune is hopefully going to be Saturday so now I think i'm ready. Just gotta test it out on the car tomorrow and i'm good to go I hope!

having trouble connecting to the car.

using:

ecuflash-1.29a

ecu defs listed on the first page

Windows XP Pro SP2 through BootCamp on intel-based MacBook (Core2Duo)

in the bottom right of EcuFlash, where most of you are getting FDxxx, i am getting USB <-> Serial. Does not say no vehicle interface.

i try to read the ECU, choose 2005-2006 Subaru DBW***

then the log messages that roll by say "unable to open OpenPort device (Serial)" and "unable to connect to vehicle interface"

any advice?

Finally got the ECU flashed today. Did two things...not sure what made it work...but upgraded to Windows XP SP3 and used latest version of EcuFlash (1.42.2595). thought that wasn't supposed to work but it did. Also, in the lower right corner of EcuFlash, it still said USB <-> Serial. Apparently wasnt a problem not having the FT***** code down there. Anyway, forum has a been a big help in getting my BNR turbo installed and getting started with the tune. Hope I can pay it forward.

I can not get RomRaider to see my ECU. ECUFlash and Learning View both connect to my ECU just fine, in fact I've already gotten my baseline map flashed to my ECU. I got into my car tonight to do my log and I could not get RomRaider to see my ECU.

When I open the logger (by opening romraider, then selecting "Launch ECU Logger" from the Logger drop-down menu at the top) there isn't anything in the drop-down menu that should let me select the port that I have the VAG-COM plugged in to, and it does not bring up my ECU ID in the bottom right. I tried logging a lazy drive down the street and the XML file came up blank.

Any suggestions?

Try disabling any COM ports that you have, other than the Tactrix. I ran into something a little bit like this where I had to disable a bluetooth device to get EcuFlash to work. You situation isn't quite the same but it's still worth a shot.

I can not get RomRaider to see my ECU. ECUFlash and Learning View both connect to my ECU just fine, in fact I've already gotten my baseline map flashed to my ECU. I got into my car tonight to do my log and I could not get RomRaider to see my ECU.

When I open the logger (by opening romraider, then selecting "Launch ECU Logger" from the Logger drop-down menu at the top) there isn't anything in the drop-down menu that should let me select the port that I have the VAG-COM plugged in to, and it does not bring up my ECU ID in the bottom right. I tried logging a lazy drive down the street and the XML file came up blank.

Any suggestions?

Hmmm... Your way of opening RomRaider sounds different from how I do it. Sounds to me like you're opening ECU Editor first and trying to open logger from there, which shouldn't be a problem in and of itself, but try opening the logger program by itself.

For me, it's in the Start Menu, then All Programs, then RomRaider, then "RomRaider Logger."

Once that program is open, you should be able to see the COM Port selection in the upper left-hand corner. As far as I know, there isn't a selection for that in ECU Editor (the program you're using right now).

The insanity continues. I had to return the laptop I was borrowing to try to run the programs on. MY laptop was just delivered, & I've been trying to download the RomRaider, ECUFlash, & Learning View onto it.

Unfortunately I've having even more problems, it never stops. When I connect the VAG cable & open ECUFlash I receive the message: "FT232R USB UART A400fMmc" in the lower RH corner. When I try to open Learning View I receive this message: "The application failed to initilize properly (0xc0000135)". And when I try RomRaider logger I receive this message in the the lower LH corner: "Error: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog".

I've been uninstalling, & reinstalling the software but keep coming up with the same results.:spin::confused::confused:

What version of Windows are you using?

Also, I know that Learning View won't work if any of the other programs are open... if that's the case.

I'm about to go through a Win7 x64 setup guide as well, so look forward to that soon :)

Windows XP Pro. I've tried to open Learning View by its self, but then this message will come up: "The application failed to initilize properly (0xc0000135)". It's almost the opposite of what I was getting with the previous laptop; RomRaider, & Learning View worked, but ECUFlash was having the difficulties.

yay, finally got the Ecutek crap off my ecu yesterday. managed to read the standard rom off it and send it too my tuner, he just sent me back the first map he wants me to flash, and using these very detailed instructions given here i successfully flashed my ecu for the first time!

Im using the latest version of EcuFlash wih ebay cable and windows 7 on my netbook, sometimes it loads wrong drivers but easily fixed.

Thanks to the OP! im sure i will have a lot of questions now for you guys since im on the open source band wagon!

New versions of ECU Flash that you can download do not work with Vag-Com. Must have 1.29e. Last known version to work. Tactrix writes the software folks. They wrote in hooks to stop Vag-Com from working on purpose. Must use the old software to get it to work. We supply the old software with the cables we sell.

New versions of ECU Flash that you can download do not work with Vag-Com. Must have 1.29e. Last known version to work. Tactrix writes the software folks. They wrote in hooks to stop Vag-Com from working on purpose. Must use the old software to get it to work. We supply the old software with the cables we sell.

i dunno Mike, im pretty sure i downloaded the latest version of EcuFlash 1.42 and it works with my 10 dolla ebay obd2-usb cable, Have flashed my ecu twice yesterday.

Maybe you can get away with it still on the jdm ecu's

So are there any disadvantages to going with the vag-com cable vs. a tactrix if you have an 05? I'm confused on why some 05 people still use the $160 cable when this one looks like it works fine.:confused: Also, what do you sell them for m sprank? I didn't see them on your website.

Its a driver issue. It is super glitchy. It might work once. I would hesitate though. If it craps out mid flash, you have a bricked ecu. Do some reading on romraider.com. All the issues are known. I make none of this up. Tactrix owns romraider, LOL. All opensource software is written for Tactrix. It is basically a copy of ECUTech.

Vag-com is for Audi/VW. We found a long time ago that they worked with 05-06 LGT's. Once Tactrix realized what was going on, they had the drivers and software modified to try and stop the Vag-Com from working with their software.

Tactrix is by far an easier solution, with almost no glitches. They work every time and are faster at communicating.

I am not a fan of Vag-Com. I sell them only because tuning customers request them. We do not use Vag-Com at the shop or for tuning. We only use Tactrix. I do not list them, because I keep them for tuning customers only. I sell them for $30 delivered with the software and drivers.

Tactrix will not sell wholesale and does not want vendors. All Tactrix cables must be purchased direct form Tactrix. I pay the same as everyone else. $169 plus shipping.

Edited by m sprank

Its a driver issue. It is super glitchy. It might work once. I would hesitate though. If it craps out mid flash, you have a bricked ecu. Do some reading on romraider.com. All the issues are known. I make none of this up. Tactrix owns romraider, LOL. All opensource software is written for Tactrix. It is basically a copy of ECUTech.

Vag-com is for Audi/VW. We found a long time ago that they worked with 05-06 LGT's. Once Tactrix realized what was going on, they had the drivers and software modified to try and stop the Vag-Com from working with their software.

Tactrix is by far an easier solution, with almost no glitches. They work every time and are faster at communicating.

I am not a fan of Vag-Com. I sell them only because tuning customers request them. We do not use Vag-Com at the shop or for tuning. We only use Tactrix. I do not list them, because I keep them for tuning customers only. I sell them for $30 delivered with the software and drivers.

Tactrix will not sell wholesale and does not want vendors. All Tactrix cables must be purchased direct form Tactrix. I pay the same as everyone else. $169 plus shipping.

Thanks for the advice mike I want aware of the problems with them. Local tuner will finish off my map so hopefully no need for me to buy the tactrix cable at the minute

I never knew Tatrix owned Romraider. I always thought Romraider/LV/ECUflash was all open source, coded by developers funded by donations ?

If that is the case, then its not so bad. You are either going to pay for the software or the hardware. And from a company's stand point, hardware is harder to pirate.

Do either of these cables allow other OBD functions on other makes and models? For example, If I buy a tactrix cable can I ditch my innova OBDII code reader and use a laptop/software to read and clear codes for, say, a Lexus?

I never knew Tatrix owned Romraider. I always thought Romraider/LV/ECUflash was all open source, coded by developers funded by donations ?

If that is the case, then its not so bad. You are either going to pay for the software or the hardware. And from a company's stand point, hardware is harder to pirate.

This explains the conversation I had this week with a pro-tuner. When I was discussing price with him he mentioned the cost of the license and said that any future tunes would be covered so would only run between $2-300 rather than the initial $7-800.

:eek: $700-800 for a tune??! Forget that! :lol: I mean, unless that's including stage 2 parts... but man that's money down the drain if you ask me.

No parts, just a tune. I think the license was something like $175 so they are estimating over 3 hours of dyno time if they charge $200/hr. Seemed pretty high to me. :eek: I've got enough good e-tune options and not that kind of money to spend. Work just happened to take me by the place I'd heard about before so thought I'd stop in and check it out.

Although I don't have the new turbo installed yet I'm looking forward to your Vag-com update on Win7 64. I was beginning to think about resurrecting my old XT machine to use for tuning but being able to use my new one would be a whole lot better.

OK, I've finally got the Learning View problem resolved.:)

Unfortunately RomRaider is still being a pain. Everytime I try to open RomRaider Logger it gives me this message: "Logger definition not configured. Go online to download the latest definition." I've tried to use the files provided on the disc I received, & I've even tried to go online to use these definitions. Neither of which works. I've installed/uninstalled/installed RomRaider multiple times allwith the same results.:spin::confused: It would be nice to finally get RomRaider to work some day.