LegacyGT.com

First performance upgrade?

Hello everyone, good evening. I have had my 06 LGT for approx. 2 months now, and I'm trying to put together a list of upgrades performance wise. And I, being completely new to all this, have no idea where to start. Could anyone help a newcommer to the modding scene? Here's what I'm thinking:

1. I don't want anything crazy... not looking to tune it for racing or anything
  2. I would like the most bang for my buck - if there's anything easy enough for me to do (bolt ons or whatever) that will probably be my first choice
  3. What products would you recommend?
  4. Any "I tried this myself and completely screwed it up, get help!" advice would be greatly appreciated!
  5. And lastly, again I'm not going for fastest, meanest car on the road here. Just enough to beat all the kiddos in their 'stangs (no hate) and daddy's beamers!

I thank you for your time, I know you could all be out doing more amazing things with your fantastic wheels! This site has already helped a ton! Thanks!

Well you have 2 routes to take, you could go stage 1 or stage 2 depending on how much your want to spend.

Stage 1 - Gutted Uppipe, foam filter, Stage 1 tune

Stage 2 - Gutted Uppipe, gutted downpipe, foam filter & stage 2 tune.

I've been in your shoes before and when I stated modding, I decided to go the same route. I decided to go stage 1, just because I didn't have much to spend at the time and I've been satisfied for the past 5 years now with it. Recently I had to rebuild my motor due to a bad piston, and now I'm thinking about going to stage 2. But, like I said, it's about how much you are you willing spend to go fast.

My wife's balls are delicious.

From all my lurking I've come to the conclusion that first mod is going to be a Cobb AP. Any mod you bolt on will require a tune so the car will run properly (this goes for any car).

Am I going in the right direction here?

Am I going in the right direction here?

Seems to be the general consensus on these forums. Cobb AP gets good reviews too

v1 http://legacygt.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=12&sort=2&cat=16&page=1

v2 http://legacygt.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=192&sort=2&cat=16&page=1

Edit: Good info here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cobb-ap-v2-vs-infamous-opensource-whichi-200212.html?t=200212

Its the price that turns me off. What are the alternatives that are cheaper and just as good? Not particularly wanting open source. Can the Cobb integrate with SI drive? If not, do any others?

Are you good with a lap top ?

Get the $30.00 cable and get a e-tune for around $150.00

You'll want a catless up pipe and down pipe if you can go catless. A stage 2 map from a Tuner will cancel the EGT probe CEL when it's removed.

Stage 2 is where these cars should be. More power better mpg.

You can keep your stock exhaust, mid-pipe back.

Learn how to check your oil and keep it topped off, NEVER let it get low.

Learn how your turbo sounds, if the sound changes, stop driving the car. Start looking for your next turbo...now, plan ahead.

These cars are get fun, as long as you keep after the maintenance.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Here's who I use.

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/tuning-alliance-121.html?s=&daysprune=&f=121

email him. Mike's been keeping my cars happy for years now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

What's your problem with open source? It would be a much bigger headache to find another alternative to the AP than to just do OS

What I find from less experienced Subie owners is fear over OS. I had an argument with an STI owner who swore I was going to blow my car up because I had an opensource E-tune... He told me I should have bought an accessport and dyno tune. :rolleyes:

A dyno tune is utterly pointless at Stage 2... Oh you know and the fact that I only spent $250 instead of $1000 for an AP and dyno tune.

• I Donated
Well you have 2 routes to take, you could go stage 1 or stage 2 depending on how much your want to spend.

Stage 1 - Gutted Uppipe, foam filter, Stage 1 tune

Stage 2 - Gutted Uppipe, gutted downpipe, foam filter & stage 2 tune.

Foam filter? :iam: I wouldn't use anything except the stock intake and filter if you are staying below 350ish whp, unless you need to replace it due to going FMIC.

I also would not gut the stock DP to go Stage 2. You don't get the advantage of a bellmouth design if you do that. I wouldn't gut the UP, either... the cats in those are hard enough that it's more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

Foam filter? :iam: I wouldn't use anything except the stock intake and filter if you are staying below 350ish whp, unless you need to replace it due to going FMIC.

I also would not gut the stock DP to go Stage 2. You don't get the advantage of a bellmouth design if you do that. I wouldn't gut the UP, either... the cats in those are hard enough that it's more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

X2 for most of that.

I'm guessing by foam air filter he meant a drop in like a K&N or Perrin. I have both, one in either car. Been using my Perrin since Aug 04 in the wagon.

Your best option is a new tune, nothing else will be performance for the money.

I liked Cobb Stage 1, Stage 2 is far better.

Stage 1 $500

Stage 2 $1000 (UP/DP - AP)

Knowing what I know now. I'd have a local tuner open source tune the car nearly halving both stage costs.

You read too deep into my post, brotato. :lol:

I said foam filter (panel), not a CAI foam filter Also, gutted means catless and it's up to the owner to decide if he wants to gut his own cats or buy aftermarket catless ones.

I have both, one in either car. Been using my Perrin since Aug 04 in the wagon.

Same here, and mine still looks good after 100k miles and a least a dozen cleanings.

• I Donated
You read too deep into my post, brotato. :lol:

I said foam filter (panel), not a CAI foam filter Also, gutted means catless and it's up to the owner to decide if he wants to gut his own cats or buy aftermarket catless ones.

I still wouldn't replace the panel filter, but that's just me. Also, last time I checked, "gutted" meant "gutted," not aftermarket. But at least you clarified your meaning.

True, there might not be any huge difference between the 2 filters (OEM vs. Foam), but a least the foam is reusable and will cost less in the long run.

• I Donated
True, there might not be any huge difference between the 2 filters (OEM vs. Foam), but a least the foam is reusable and will cost less in the long run.

But you have to rescale the MAF if you put in a reusable panel filter.

But you have to rescale the MAF if you put in a reusable panel filter.

I didn't get tuned till Cobb released AP in Dec 04, I put the Parrin filter in Aug 04.

Not saying it's not a good idea to get a tune. But does the filter flow that much more air ?

Archived