LegacyGT.com

Quick dumb battery question - 3v

Quick question:

Car wouldn't start - completely dead.

Stuck a multimeter on the battery and it's showing 3v.

At this low of a voltage, is it just a run-down battery from a light left on, or is it more a complete battery failure?

Clues:

- Car was left outside in the cold for 2 weeks while on vacation.

- Came back, started car fine, ran to grocery store and back.

- Locked car, but when I armed the alarm w/ my keyfob, it beeped twice (normally just clicks shut with no noise)

- Very next morning (today) car is dead

At 3V, the battery is sufficiently discharged that its probably completely dead. That doesn't mean the battery was the root cause, but its now been drained below where its easily recharged.

How long a trip to the grocery store? Its possible that it was low from sitting, then the two starts only drained it further. Once it got really low, electronics do funny things and it may have accelerated the drain.

After about 2 hours was able to get the battery up to 12.1v on the charger and was just barely able to get it started.

Left the car running for about 10min @ 1500rpm in an attempt to charge it and then turned it off. Will give a start tomorrow morning and see if the battery held a charge.

locked car, but when I armed the alarm w/ my keyfob, it beeped twice (normally just clicks shut with no noise)

- Very next morning (today) car is dead

When I lock my car, it beeps at me several times if I attempt to lock it with a door not properly closed. It will NOT beep at me if all doors are properly shut. The former may have happened to you from what you are describing and a light stayed on or something.

Use your multimeter to check the alt. while it's running to make sure you are getting a sufficient charge. If it's charging dont mess around, just replace the battery. I would suggest either a battery disconnect switch or a trickle charger after you replace the battery.

Archived