LegacyGT.com

Do I need New Rotors

Dsfa

I have a question . I am going to replace my brake pads because they are worn .

Do you guys think I can get away with out changing my rotors ?

I might trade it in soon and do not want to put a lot of money into the car right now .

IMG_0923.thumb.jpg.f24aaf9d5fff116e465a116405edcdd9.jpg

The outter rim of the rotor may have a minimum thickness on it though someone may know the value for OEM. A cheap micrometer will be cheaper than rotors. If you have the wheel off it would probably be quick to check if you could borrow one.

That being said, it's unlikely anyone would have enough data from the pictures being comfortable saying "Hell yeah man, go for it!"

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

cant really tell from pictures. You can generally run your fingernail along the edge and if you feel a lip, then replace. But like the reply above, only way to really tell is to get a micrometer and check. You can get micrometers from HarborFreight for cheap.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

No, you don't need new rotors.:) As long as they don't vibrate. And don't let anyone turn them!!!!!!!! Never, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I don't think you need them, but it's about time to start saving for new ones I'd say.

Mine just developed a crusty edge that was causing some squealing... planning to replace soon.

I would sat replace them judging by the pics i can see the uneven grooves in the rotor, im guessing your new pads are going to brake like shit. Brakes are very important dont cheap out.

I found a vendor on here KNSBRAKES he has combos for the legacy and i got 4 CENTRIC Rotors + all 8 pads posi quiet ceramic for 280 shipped.

I just drove about 50 miles on them and holy shit was I stupid for not getting brakes sooner.

I bought my legacy for the wife last year almost with 29k miles 2005. Ever since than I thought the brakes were weak, anyways I decided at 36k to change them just to be safe. Well she drove the car and she is impressed because its easier for her to stop the car and the brakes are much more powerful.

It's common practise to have the rotors turned whenever you installing new pads. The machine shop or auto parts store can tell you if you need new ones. Just because there is a lip there, doesn't mean you need new rotors. That lip is normal for rotors that have been used. They need to measured.

Like it was said....brakes are pretty important.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's common practise to have the rotors turned whenever you installing new pads. The machine shop or auto parts store can tell you if you need new ones. Just because there is a lip there, doesn't mean you need new rotors. That lip is normal for rotors that have been used. They need to measured.

Like it was said....brakes are pretty important.

If you insist on having rotors turned, try to find a GREAT machine shop. In NE, at least, there are none that do rotors.:mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

If you insist on having rotors turned, try to find a GREAT machine shop. In NE, at least, there are none that do rotors.:mad:

Had my first set turned by my local, family friends machine shop. Eastwoods Auto Machine in Somersville CT. Used to be $5.00 a surface.

They do a bunch of dealer work as well as lots of high performance stuff.

I leave my stuff by the door on my way into work with a note for Mark Eastwood and pick them up on my way home that night. It's no big deal.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

With the availability of inexpensive quality replacement rotors (www.brakeswap.com for example) hardly anyone turns worn rotors these days.

Wish I had your kind of money if you call that inexpensive. I can get oem style rotors for a Honda for $20.00 each. That's what I call inexpensive.

When my Slotted ones need tuning. They will get tuned.

• 9 months later...
The outter rim of the rotor may have a minimum thickness on it though someone may know the value for OEM. A cheap micrometer will be cheaper than rotors. If you have the wheel off it would probably be quick to check if you could borrow one.

That being said, it's unlikely anyone would have enough data from the pictures being comfortable saying "Hell yeah man, go for it!"

Does anyone know the value for OEM? My micrometer is saying 295mm.

You don't want to see pics of my rotors...

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived