LegacyGT.com

Where to take your car for work in SoCal.

Rommel

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who here can help with a boost leak?

I have no clue how to troubleshoot beyond the obvious. One more thing I haven't done yet.

Shamar had difficulties tuning it and getting the boost we wanted even after the AVO actuator. Something about an inconsistancy...

Sean Church had a similar issue (wants me to come back so he can assist in looking for the leak at no charge).

At present the ECU pulls timing if tuned over 19 PSI (that was a 94* day, seeing 20.5 now at 65*) and I have a whistle under load after 5k rpm. On the surface it sounds like a leak but???

Thx,

-Drew

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Drew,

I am booked this weekend and have two customers who I need to get with. One for some front end work and one for a brake install.

Saturday I am working on Michaels car installing new brakes up front. Sunday I am trying to go to SD to install a wheel and check out some lamps.

That leaves next week for the two customers still hanging.

Oh, and my truck is 2000 miles late for the 60k and an oil change, LOL. Same old story, the mechanics vehicle is the worst maintained.

I can help with a check out after all that. I know its not very soon, but late next week? I am sure with the new motor they did a compression test. If you hear something at 5k maybe is is a very tiny leak at a gasket.

Odd part is it existed before and after the motor build. So everything came out and went back in already.

Who here can help with a boost leak?

I have no clue how to troubleshoot beyond the obvious. One more thing I haven't done yet.

Shamar had difficulties tuning it and getting the boost we wanted even after the AVO actuator. Something about an inconsistancy...

Sean Church had a similar issue (wants me to come back so he can assist in looking for the leak at no charge).

At present the ECU pulls timing if tuned over 19 PSI (that was a 94* day, seeing 20.5 now at 65*) and I have a whistle under load after 5k rpm. On the surface it sounds like a leak but???

Thx,

-Drew

Drew - you've got a boost leak. Have you check the T under/where the TMIC resided... common leak. When I Scott Siegal tuned mine on the dyno everything seemed normal and good, then when we road-tested/tuned it, it kept pulling timing... turned out to be a boost leak at the TMIC to throttle body pipe. Cemented that connection (which would be the same for a FMIC setup too and it self-corrected and we were able to road-tune it precisely at that point. Pulled off the turbo-inlet hose from the intake filter box and used an adapter (parts found at Home Depot) at that point to put the system under pressure.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Just spotted m sprank in his infamous performance truck On frazee in OSIDE. Sounds like you've been busy Mike me as well I was just getting back from working the night shift setting up the LA auto show hit 57hrs in 4 days for work:eek: have to be back up there at 8 tonight.

• 1 month later...

I wish you guys were up here.

My car was leaking oil after my turbo install, and i can't seem to stop it =\ The shop I took it to quoted me 2 hrs initially, but my car's been there for a week now...

apparently timebelt is $900+?

What??? It's ($180) for two hours of labor and $50 TB = ($230 tops) unless you add-in a new water pump ($100) and TB Tensioner ($110) - then you're looking at ~$500 tops (including labor).

And doing all of your hoses at the same time is just good insurance, particularly in the dry Cali heat, they tend to start the replacement "cycle" around 100-110K.